PDA

View Full Version : Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Material

oldblu
08-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Has anyone ever used anything but OEM valve cover gaskets to replace theirs and stop leaks?

I'm not about to spend $100 on them. Either I'll wait another year or I was hoping I could use the silicon/whatever material it is that autozone sells in a tube. I have bought the black high heat valve cover silicon already and it says it is great for everything but gas which does not matter for valve covers (right?).

Seerlah
08-04-2009, 07:58 PM
I would advise against RTV Gasket Maker. If you are paying $100 for the OEM, you are paying too much. $55 shipped for 2 of them (http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=6169_6170_6186_6195_6728_92 47&info=OEM_VAG_078198025_Valve_Cover_Gasket&products_id=1309) from MJM[cool].

oldblu
08-04-2009, 08:04 PM
That price is so much better honestly. But I would like some more information on gasket makers.. OF COURSE head gaskets I would never consider (Nor can I) but what's so wrong about making your own?

Seerlah
08-04-2009, 08:09 PM
I just really don't trust that stuff. A gasket designed specifically for your vehicle that was molded to not have any leaks will have a much greater chance of not causing a leak than a gasket maker. Personally, just do it correct and get the rubber/plastic mold gasket sets. $55 is not bad at all if you do it yourself.

oldblu
08-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Yeah I guess you're right seerlah.

I'll probably end up buying but if anyone has ever done this or has any prior experience, I'd love to know what happens. I have a friend on a budget too that's considering it.

LowSantorin
08-05-2009, 12:00 AM
If you did a ood job of applying it and not messing the bead up when setting the cover down you SHOULD be fine. that being said id jut order the kit if it were me. And if it's victor reinz ive never had a problem with them.

biketsai
08-05-2009, 12:26 AM
I believe you can get a good one from Napa for $50ish

oldblu
08-05-2009, 04:42 AM
never thought about napa. I just checked and I'm gonna go with their 30 dollar set

Bic-Ball
08-05-2009, 04:59 AM
i bought a new gasket and put a bit of rtv gasket on either side. hasnt leaked since. my cam seals were leaking too so i replaced them while doing the timing belt

Seerlah
08-05-2009, 06:40 AM
I replaced my valve cover gasket wit the one from PureMS and placed RTV Gasket Sealer on the rim. If I had to do it all over again, I would can the RTV altogether and just use the gasket.

mike-2ptzero
08-05-2009, 07:04 AM
I replaced my valve cover gasket wit the one from PureMS and placed RTV Gasket Sealer on the rim. If I had to do it all over again, I would can the RTV altogether and just use the gasket.

I never use any RTV in the spots that everyone says to put it and in the many times of removing my valve cover and most of the time never even replacing the gasket I have yet to get a leak from the valve cover.

thenofjboy
08-05-2009, 08:49 AM
is the gasket sealer a Must do when replacing the valve cover?

or is it just recommended??

oldblu
08-05-2009, 09:24 AM
what gasket sealer?

And thanks for the info everyone, I think I'm not going the sealer way, just gonna end up getting the gasket

markcm
08-05-2009, 09:41 AM
I recently pulled my valve cover to check the cam chain tensioner, the gasket was only about 2 months old so I re-used it. I cleaned it pretty well before re-installing but it still pissed oil at the rear right where the gasket has the kink in it, dropping down on the exhaust and smoking like mad.

When I first pulled it off, I could see the "audi chemical sealer" (which is some type of white RTV) right at the kinks, my mechanic had applied it when he did the service and told me it was a must-do or it will leak. I had not re-applied any sealer this first time.

So I pulled the cover off again, this time I really degreased the gasket and then washed with soapy warm water. I also made sure that I'd degreased the surface of top of the head and then applied a small dab of black RTV at each corner right where the gasket kinks and no more leak! If you get any crud or degreaser in your oil, make sure you change it after your done.

Seerlah
08-05-2009, 09:45 AM
what gasket sealer?

And thanks for the info everyone, I think I'm not going the sealer way, just gonna end up getting the gasket

There is RTV gasket sealer you are "supposed" to use when placing on a new valve cover gasket (found in any auto parts store). You basically just apply a small amount around the rim of the engine head (contact points), place the gasket on that, and place the valve cover back on. You really don't need it, but it is more of a preventative. Like if a person was to purchase ebay headlights. It is a preventative to silicone the seals as a preventative.

And good choice on getting the gaskets. $55 shipped is not a bad price at all from MJM.