PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help! How to remove center console?

biketsai
08-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Im sitting here trying to remove the automatic shifter assembly. I have disconnected the rear armrest portion, but I cant get the console out. I have an 01 with the Symphony if that makes any difference. I removed the 2 bolts on the side knee bolsters, and then 2 up where the hazard switch is, and another in the glovebox area. Whats left? I have no way of pulling the radio, but I heard it can be done without it.

samleong
08-01-2009, 09:55 AM
I am not sure if the 01 Symphony makes any difference, but I follow the DIY and the console comes out easily.
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int3.shtml

quattro16
08-01-2009, 11:02 AM
The shifter assembly drops out from underneath the car. You have to move the exhaust and driveshaft out of the way.

biketsai
08-01-2009, 11:03 AM
The shifter assembly drops out from underneath the car. You have to move the exhaust and driveshaft out of the way.

Did that waay before lol. I managed to get the shifter assembly out by kinda pushing the socket onto the nut. Basically my Tip assembly is toast! [wrench]

samleong
08-01-2009, 02:29 PM
I am about to take the shifter off too. how hard is to move the driveshaft out of the way? which size of the torx socket do I need? I have to move the exhaust also?

black99.5a4
08-01-2009, 02:33 PM
ok, you HAVE to remove the radio to remove the console.

its mounted to a cage that is mounted to 2 brackets off the dash

remove 3 nuts under the rear ash tray, remove 1 nut under the cup holder under the arm rest, remove the 2 8mm screws where the front portion and rear portion meets. look under your e brake handle, there is a black plastic piece that pulls down to release it, pull e brake handle and boost off, now slide your rear portion up and back.. disconnect phone and cig lighter.

front portion.

remove hazard bezel, remove two 8mm bolts, remove radio, remove the 4 8mm bolts, slide hvac out, remove ash tray with the 2 8mm bolts and the 2 8mm bolts above the ash tray into the case. on drivers side foot well, remove the cover, remove the 8mm bolt.

unplug the fog lights and hazard switch and cup holder.

now you need to remove the automatic knob and pull the shifter surround up.

now it all pulls out.