PDA

View Full Version : Quattro owns you

blacka4
12-13-2004, 05:08 AM
haha on my way into school this morning for a 8 am final...usually takes me 25 minutes...ended up taking me an hour!!! I was passing people left and right that couldn't make it up hills. I now remember why my car payment is worth it every month...!!! I Love quattro

RippleChip
12-13-2004, 05:21 AM
ah yes, the beauty of Quattro in winter. I was having a great weekend.

blacka4
12-13-2004, 05:31 AM
yeah we got are first major ice/snow last night....it made for an interesting commute to class...

69Muscle
12-13-2004, 05:36 AM
We'll see! I can't wait to test out my Quattro!

MR VTEC
12-13-2004, 06:49 AM
Just don't go balls to the walls quattro is as good as the tires on your wheels and quattro has no benefit with braking...
Just to let yall know
But with that being said Hooray for quattro i got one too [;)]

DarkkstaR
12-13-2004, 06:55 AM
hey i think i have that too :P

love it

buck
12-13-2004, 07:14 AM
my mechanic calls my car a 'snowmobile'!

I love that white stuff! (and no - I'm not a crack-head!)

yellowaudi24psi
12-13-2004, 07:43 AM
i remember the first snow with quattro and how cool it was to pass suv's on the road that were slipping and sliding all over...... cant wait to do it again

IndieRockSteve
12-13-2004, 10:50 AM
no serious snow here yet =(
not that it matters, I'm having my 4th Valeo alternator installed in a year and a half. No offense, but fsck the French(or at least their engineers, cause I'm all for their cooking).

Remember newbies, Quattro gets you moving in bad conditions, but it won't stop you or change Newton's first law of motion. As a wise Audiziner once told me, Quattro doesn't prevent accidents, it makes reassmbleing your car that much harder.

Monchichi8
12-13-2004, 11:14 AM
Yea, Quattro Rules....

3 bar
12-13-2004, 12:13 PM
AWD and sports car handling who could ask for more. It definately worth my car payment as well.

barto
12-13-2004, 12:15 PM
i feel much more confident driving in the rain

clconversion
12-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by MR VTEC
Just don't go balls to the walls quattro is as good as the tires on your wheels and quattro has no benefit with braking...
Just to let yall know

Hey Mr Vtec do u not like Audi's you always seem so negitive about them If your driving a Honda and u think Vtec is gods gift to man you need to wake the funk up Vtec is a joke torque less POS

69Muscle
12-13-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by 3 bar
AWD and sports car handling who could ask for more. It definately worth my car payment as well.

I do like the Quattro but Sports car handling it does not have. The steering is far too over assisted to have that feel, and the car is heavy for what it is. Not knocking the car, as I love my lil car. But I also have a sports car. I'm just sayin, they are in different leagues.

IndieRockSteve
12-13-2004, 12:40 PM
I wonder if that comment was meant to be a direct attack or just a comment by someone with low social skills?

MR VTEC had a good point, one that many people who have not driven AWD don't realize until its too late. I have two close friends that have savagely totaled an A4 and an S4 because they went balls to the wall expecting the Quattro to save them if needed. Any car with tires as its contact to the road can lose grip and fly out of control, doesn't matter what kind of drivetrain you have.

audispeed
12-13-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by clconversion
Hey Mr Vtec do u not like Audi's you always seem so negitive about them If your driving a Honda and u think Vtec is gods gift to man you need to wake the funk up Vtec is a joke torque less POS

he's just stating a fact, quattro is great, but it doesnt increase your tires traction. People seem to think they can go fast in snow because they have 4 wheel drive or whatever. It doesnt make a difference. Sure it will help you get up to speed faster, but it's not stopping you any quicker or giving you any better turning ability. You may be able to put more power down going around a turn in snow, then say a bmw with the same tires as you. But if you are just going into a turn not on the throttle, quattro isnt going to do anything to help you around it. Quattro is great, I would definitely take it over front wheel drive any day (i dont think i would even consider a fwd car), but i think people over glorify it. Especially in comparison to rwd.

audlman
12-13-2004, 01:12 PM
im fine with my FWD. havent had the oppurtunity to drive it in the snow, but winters here arent totally horrible. but then again, u never know what it brings. audispeed is right, quattro is not going to give you increased traction, i mean yea, its going to be better at safe speeds, but anything above or punching the gas, its still going to make u spin.

jefferson88
12-13-2004, 01:18 PM
I would think Quattro does help slow you down when down shifting.... I notice a big difference when downshifting in snow with the Quattro then I did with my previous two wheel drive car

69Muscle
12-13-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by jefferson88
I would think Quattro does help slow you down when down shifting.... I notice a big difference when downshifting in snow with the Quattro then I did with my previous two wheel drive car

If you use engine braking to slow your pace then yes Quattro is turning 4 wheels to slow u down rather then 2, so you will see better performance there. But if u push in the clutch and brake, performance should be the same between a fwd and AWD Audi.

However isn't the beauty of Quattro something with the differentials and they way they manage torque and output to all 4 wheels instead of an open diff front which will give u 1 wheel peel on both front and rear of cheap 4wd systems??

MR VTEC
12-13-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by clconversion
[rolleyes] [rolleyes]
^^is all I can say...^^

greengravy
12-13-2004, 06:55 PM
ha. i missed my 8 am final because of the snow. i got hit by a pickup with a snow plow on the front last week so now im driving a mustang cobra. try getting to school when you live 25 minutes away back in the woods. i miss my audi. get it back for xmas tho!!!

blacka4
12-13-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by greengravy
ha. i missed my 8 am final because of the snow. i got hit by a pickup with a snow plow on the front last week so now im driving a mustang cobra. try getting to school when you live 25 minutes away back in the woods. i miss my audi. get it back for xmas tho!!!

where do you live what area of pa

bender7
12-13-2004, 07:21 PM
although i do agree that quattro is very very nice some people did not really have a choice (me) and have FWD...we just got our first big snow up here and FWD is definetly better then i expected it, of course its not quattro but i was fairly suprised (went in with low expectations though lol)...and more to the point it is my thoughts that no matter quattro FWD or otherwise the drivers driving skill/competince/intelligence/caution/experience/etc. will always be a much greater factor in bad weather driving ...just my 2 cents

sfordeso
12-13-2004, 07:39 PM
lol. i love it when people spell intelligence wrong

OverSpun
12-13-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by audlman
im fine with my FWD. havent had the oppurtunity to drive it in the snow, but winters here arent totally horrible. but then again, u never know what it brings. audispeed is right, quattro is not going to give you increased traction, i mean yea, its going to be better at safe speeds, but anything above or punching the gas, its still going to make u spin.

you contradicted yourself... it does give you more traction. remember, 4 is always better than 2, except when you're braking, then it doesnt matter. in the rain, my car feels like its dry outside, i have to really push it to slide, and its easily controllable, i cant say much for snow, never been in it with this car, but i do know it would help a lot.

sfordeso
12-13-2004, 09:26 PM
Hey Overspun.
What grille is that? It's amazing

greengravy
12-13-2004, 09:42 PM
black.... i live right outside of lancaster... its snowing here again, damnit!!!! so much for my chem final tomorrow morning hahaha

blacka4
12-14-2004, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by greengravy
black.... i live right outside of lancaster... its snowing here again, damnit!!!! so much for my chem final tomorrow morning hahaha

haha it was snowing here in pittsburgh all night and we are expecting more as the day rolls on. its all good though. I have quattro!

gecco
12-14-2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by MR VTEC
Just to let yall know

If you put the car into 1st. the engine will brake to hole drivetrain, so you'll get an even braking on all wheels...

greengravy
12-14-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by blacka4
haha it was snowing here in pittsburgh all night and we are expecting more as the day rolls on. its all good though. I have quattro!
bastard!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it didnt snow here luckily like it was supposed to so its all good because i dont have quattro at the momemt hahahaha. oh wait, the jokes on me though when it does snow

MR VTEC
12-14-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by gecco
If you put the car into 1st. the engine will brake to hole drivetrain, so you'll get an even braking on all wheels...
[eek]
You go right ahead and do that!!!
I rather drive at reasonable rate of speed, than fudge up my tranny or engine THANK YOU very much...
[rolleyes]

blacka4
12-14-2004, 10:25 AM
lol yeah it is..haha

LEDFoot
12-14-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by 69Muscle
I do like the Quattro but Sports car handling it does not have. The steering is far too over assisted to have that feel, and the car is heavy for what it is. Not knocking the car, as I love my lil car. But I also have a sports car. I'm just sayin, they are in different leagues.

Err, there is a big difference in what typical Americans and Europeans consider a sports car.
Just look at the original M3; BMWs M division opted to put a SMALLER engine in the M3 than the one that normally powered the regular 3 series because they wanted a better weight-distribution.

I personally wouldn't call a pony car a sports car either.

Audimarc
12-14-2004, 11:27 AM
Remember that Quattro with all-seasons is worse than FWD with winter tires.....Quattro with winters is best! :)

69Muscle
12-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by LEDFoot
Err, there is a big difference in what typical Americans and Europeans consider a sports car.
Just look at the original M3; BMWs M division opted to put a SMALLER engine in the M3 than the one that normally powered the regular 3 series because they wanted a better weight-distribution.

I personally wouldn't call a pony car a sports car either.

Fair enough, but i've also driven Corvettes, an E36 M3, RX8 and a few others to compare. That's fine to run smaller engines to get the 50/50 weight balance, but as for the remark that "A4's have a sports car feel to it", i'm standing on the PS rack is too over assisted to give decent feedback. Even Top Gear over in Europe picks on some cars for their steering sensation which can ruin a ride. The car does handle very well, but it's hard to feel the sensation of understeer or pressure against the wheel.

That is one of my only complaint of the car as it stands, that and the 1.8t is 'buzzy' and can feel it in the pedal and steering wheel.

excursion
12-14-2004, 12:18 PM
Fair enough, but i've also driven Corvettes, an E36 M3, RX8 and a few others to compare. That's fine to run smaller engines to get the 50/50 weight balance, but as for the remark that "A4's have a sports car feel to it", i'm standing on the PS rack is too over assisted to give decent feedback.

18's and better suspension sort that out like you wouldn't believe.

That is one of my only complaint of the car as it stands, that and the 1.8t is 'buzzy' and can feel it in the pedal and steering wheel.

For sure, that was one of the things that I disliked about the car too. However when chipped it's a lot better on the move.

69Muscle
12-14-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by excursion

18's and better suspension sort that out like you wouldn't believe.

It's my winter ride, haha no 18's for that.

For sure, that was one of the things that I disliked about the car too. However when chipped it's a lot better on the move. [/B]

Excellent, I wondered about that.

LEDFoot
12-14-2004, 02:36 PM
Fair enough, but i've also driven Corvettes, an E36 M3, RX8 and a few others to compare. That's fine to run smaller engines to get the 50/50 weight balance, but as for the remark that "A4's have a sports car feel to it", i'm standing on the PS rack is too over assisted to give decent feedback. Even Top Gear over in Europe picks on some cars for their steering sensation which can ruin a ride. The car does handle very well, but it's hard to feel the sensation of understeer or pressure against the wheel.

Heh, I have beef with the US-spec e36 m3 too but that's another story.

It's tru the B5's lack somewhat in steering feel, my a4 has the sport-package and I can say it makes a big difference. Maybe it could be called a sporty sedan (not sports-sedan).

The S4 has much better steering feedback, unfortunately you can easily tell that there is an additional 300lbs stuck right in the nose of it, not nearly as "tossable" as the 1.8T.

My biggest beef with audi over/understeer is that because of the 50/50 front/rear torque distribution if you drive on the edge of grip you never know wether the car is going to over or understeer when you do lose grip.

I think they changed it to a 48/52 tq distribution on later versions of quattro just for that reason. That way you can depend on the car to oversteer.

alen
12-14-2004, 11:11 PM

that' why you chip it and get a DbW model. but then again, you won't have the pedal feeling, which sucks to some extent, although i don't have any complaints.

Originally posted by LEDfoot
I think they changed it to a 48/52 tq distribution on later versions of quattro just for that reason. That way you can depend on the car to oversteer.

really? on B5 models? do you know what years? interesting.

69Muscle
12-15-2004, 05:26 AM

It's tru the B5's lack somewhat in steering feel, my a4 has the sport-package and I can say it makes a big difference. Maybe it could be called a sporty sedan (not sports-sedan).
I got the sports package too :)

The S4 has much better steering feedback, unfortunately you can easily tell that there is an additional 300lbs stuck right in the nose of it, not nearly as "tossable" as the 1.8T.

My biggest beef with audi over/understeer is that because of the 50/50 front/rear torque distribution if you drive on the edge of grip you never know wether the car is going to over or understeer when you do lose grip.

interesting... I wish it was like the new STi which u can change it on the fly.

3 bar
12-15-2004, 01:43 PM

I was just making a reference. I to have owned a sports car (No I dont think of my corrado as a sports car) (a Porsche) and have had Bob Bondurant give me drivers training. You are right about the steering feel and the weight issue. Even with a chip my car feels sluggish at times but it does feel very stable and secure. Compared to all those people im my area this winter with SUVs on the road i feel like im driving a sports car. I would never think about driving my friends mountaineer like I drive my A4.

HotSauce
12-15-2004, 02:10 PM
A4 Quattro > SUV

Nuff' said.

69Muscle
12-15-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by 3 bar
I was just making a reference. I to have owned a sports car (No I dont think of my corrado as a sports car) (a Porsche) and have had Bob Bondurant give me drivers training. You are right about the steering feel and the weight issue. Even with a chip my car feels sluggish at times but it does feel very stable and secure. Compared to all those people im my area this winter with SUVs on the road i feel like im driving a sports car. I would never think about driving my friends mountaineer like I drive my A4.

haha alrighty, yeah compared to a SUV these things are like a 360 modena. Buddy and I swapped cars because he wanted to try mine out. He drives a new Explorer... first hard corner I was tailing him in his explorer, I almost lost it because the thing plowed so bad.

sfordeso
12-15-2004, 02:33 PM
SUV's aren't really meant for speed....

LEDFoot
12-15-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by alen
that' why you chip it and get a DbW model. but then again, you won't have the pedal feeling, which sucks to some extent, although i don't have any complaints.

really? on B5 models? do you know what years? interesting.

No I think this was much more recently. I can't remember exatly where I saw it. I think it was an article about the Le Mans concept saying it should make it into the "new" S4 as well, I think that may have been referring to the B7 S4.

LEDFoot
12-15-2004, 03:05 PM
I got the sports package too :)

interesting... I wish it was like the new STi which u can change it on the fly.

As far as I know, Audi is the only manufacturer that use the same AWD system on it's production cars as on their competition cars (wether it be rallye or Le Mans or something). Subaru, no sir-eee, I'm not a big fan of the SVC AWD they put in their cars.

Or that new Acura "worlds most advanced AWD system". It defaults to something like 85/15 tq distribution, to retain that fwd feel I guess (now why someone would want to do that??). Most advanced doesn't mean it works the best.

LEDFoot
12-15-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by sfordeso
SUV's aren't really meant for speed....

Tell that to the Cayenne Turbo

sfordeso
12-15-2004, 03:32 PM
Besides that.
The typical SUV is meant for offroading, not racing. (I know, the new SUV's suck at offroading)

LEDFoot
12-15-2004, 03:36 PM
Lol I know, I have 2 audis and a jeep grand cherokee. After driving the jeep the a4 feels like formula 1 car.

sfordeso
12-15-2004, 03:54 PM
I have a Ford Escape, I know what you mean. SUVs are still a blast tho IMO. Though not specifically designed for offroad, they hold their own. Love my little Escape... prefer the Audi...

DRA4
12-16-2004, 12:12 AM
Quattro is great, but drive safely.

IndieRockSteve
12-16-2004, 01:57 PM
Tell that to the Cayenne Turbo

if you can get close to it without being blinded.
they should have called it the Porsche Medusa...

the Tourag looks much better, you can tell Porsche just took the Tourag dropped a huge engine in it, gave it a tap on the rear bumper for good luck and let the masses at it....

plus the Tourag commercials are awesome. makes me almost want to give up my Jeep Grand Wagoneer, but my SUV is for contruction projects and when the snow is deeper than my Audi can handle, so not worth it....

though I'd love to get my hands on an Allroad, sell my A4 and buy a R32/S3 for fun...