PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to mount a boost gauge...

mtexeiraPR07
07-28-2009, 08:22 PM
here...and splice the lighting to function off the clocks dash lights?

http://i27.tinypic.com/2mza4pi.jpg

Kyle H
07-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Possible? Yes. Easy? no.

mtexeiraPR07
07-28-2009, 08:29 PM
haha. fair 'nuff.

Kyle H
07-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Honestly all you would have to do is pull the gauge cluster, drill out your clock, run a vac line to the gauge, tap into the wiring, and call it good. Getting the cluster out and making sure there is enough room for the gauge is the problem.

mtexeiraPR07
07-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Honestly all you would have to do is pull the gauge cluster, drill out your clock, run a vac line to the gauge, tap into the wiring, and call it good. Getting the cluster out and making sure there is enough room for the gauge is the problem.

yeah, I might just pic up a spare cluster and test it out first...I think it would look pretty cool tho.

njm23
07-28-2009, 09:27 PM
^^ if you need a spare "test cluster" I have one that I was tearing into for a while. I'll basically give it to you if you want pay shipping and what not. BTW, the only gauge that I know of that would fit where the clock is is the dynotune gauge. I know because I put it where our stock oil temp is. It is pricey but it is a NICE unit. http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=131 I also ran oil temp and pressure gauges where the center display is on a 2000 cluster. I then moved my boost gauge to my rear view mirror, the stock thin one. (yes the gauge is that small)

mtexeiraPR07
07-28-2009, 11:23 PM
^^ if you need a spare "test cluster" I have one that I was tearing into for a while. I'll basically give it to you if you want pay shipping and what not. BTW, the only gauge that I know of that would fit where the clock is is the dynotune gauge. I know because I put it where our stock oil temp is. It is pricey but it is a NICE unit. http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=131 I also ran oil temp and pressure gauges where the center display is on a 2000 cluster. I then moved my boost gauge to my rear view mirror, the stock thin one. (yes the gauge is that small)

where are you located? I would throw you some money for it.
that gauge is nice...but I kinda wanna run the VDO style gauge...I know I am gonna have to dremmel a larger diameter than the clock to fit it. but like I said, lemme know the details on the cluster. [up] preciate it. my names matt by the way.

jsquillz22
07-28-2009, 11:35 PM
where are you located? I would throw you some money for it.
that gauge is nice...but I kinda wanna run the VDO style gauge...I know I am gonna have to dremmel a larger diameter than the clock to fit it. but like I said, lemme know the details on the cluster. [up] preciate it. my names matt by the way.

hi matt

geeky
07-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Im not even sure if it would be a smart idea to cut into the cluster like that due to the fact of the electronics that are behind it/

crillforreal
07-28-2009, 11:55 PM
I also ran oil temp and pressure gauges where the center display is on a 2000 cluster. I then moved my boost gauge to my rear view mirror, the stock thin one. (yes the gauge is that small)

Dude, can we see pics of said setup? sounds awesome. Also, when are you gonna send me pics of oil pressure gauge pieces you have FS [:)]

ghost6303
07-29-2009, 06:31 AM
Im not even sure if it would be a smart idea to cut into the cluster like that due to the fact of the electronics that are behind it/

yea you may be able to drill a 52mm hole without hitting anything, but those gauges are 2 or more inches deep. im sure there is something behind there (like the electronics for the RPM needle) that would get in the way.

now if you had a digital gauge and wanted to rewire the LCD screen for a remote mount, you could probably put the body of the gauge somewhere else and mount just the LCD screen around there.

mtexeiraPR07
07-29-2009, 08:12 AM
hi matt

hi. lol.

yeah geeky, thats why i just wanna pic up a cluster to mess with...worse case scenario ill just get a pod mount...I just like the idea of being stealthy. [evilmad]

njm23
07-29-2009, 11:08 AM
yeah geeky, thats why i just wanna pic up a cluster to mess with...worse case scenario ill just get a pod mount...I just like the idea of being stealthy. [evilmad]

That's the whole reason why I did it. I'll get you some pics in a little bit, I have been ridiculously busy working on the car with some BS. I should have put more time into it but it was a test, you will see what I mean.

BUT I can tell you that if you want to run a vdo gauge, or any other gauge than digital, it isn't happening. You would have to drill out the board, and well your cluster would no longer work then since theres shit running all through it. Unless your really good at electronics, then idk.

somebody5788
07-29-2009, 11:18 AM
I think it would be really bad ass if you did it. Also there are quite a few round digital gauges that are not very thick at all. I say try it if it doesn't work out oh well but don't give up yet!

terraflata
07-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Lucily my cluster is already out of my car and lying in my drawer. Mine is from a '97 A4, not sure if they were different between years or just different between models.I can almost garuntee you it will work. Behind the clock there is only the clocks mechanics/electronics. And there is approximatly an inch of space inbetween the face and the circuit board.

mtexeiraPR07
07-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Lucily my cluster is already out of my car and lying in my drawer. Mine is from a '97 A4, not sure if they were different between years or just different between models.I can almost garuntee you it will work. Behind the clock there is only the clocks mechanics/electronics. And there is approximatly an inch of space inbetween the face and the circuit board.

i have a 98 A4 so we probably have the same cluster...Im so eager to try this, I might pick up a cluster at a junkyard this weekend. pics will be posted!

Seerlah
07-29-2009, 03:14 PM
This seems like a really cool project. I would not suggest a dremel though, as it would be rather difficult to replicate a perfect circumferance. 52mm is a little smaller than 2 inches, so I would use one of those drill cup type fittings with the jagged edges made for cutting circles onto a power drill. Then the excess slack should make it fit rather tight (52mm= 2.047244inches/52mm=2.05inches). Also, splicing into a circuit in the cluster is not a good idea, unless you know how much extra wattage is left on that circuit (you short a circuit). It would be better to just route it down to the fuse panel and wrap the wire around the fuse for the daytime running lights (parking lights).

onemoremile
07-29-2009, 03:50 PM
I've got an extra cluster that is ugly and perfect for cutting on. 20 bucks shipped.

njm23
07-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Trust me when I tell you there is no way to fit a non digital gauge, unless you physically drill out the circuit/breadboard. You have to remember, there is VERY LITTLE room between the front plastic, the display, and the board behind it once everything is closed up. Believe me I spent a good amount of time messing with it.

As far as pics go, here are some snapped with no flash so you can see how it looks. I was "testing" everything to make sure they worked properly and would fit properly, so I never got around to changing out the blue leds that came with the 2 gauges to red led's, especially now since I am putting a stock cluster in I just dont care enough. Thats oil temp and pressure and boost gauge in the mirror. No the car isnt on.. and sorry for the large pics

Oo and the bottom left where the stock oil temp would be WAS an air/fuel ratio gauge (the same as my boost gauge). I only removed the stock oil temp because my car is a 2000ATW and I have an AEB bottom end which doesn't have the sensor in the pan.

http://i30.tinypic.com/2it1qvr.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/300eeed.jpg

.Mad Hatter.
07-29-2009, 08:47 PM
having had my cluster completely apart (and having an analog clock) i can say with some confidence that it will likely not work.

a couple issues:

the gauge will be deep as mentioned, there wont be enough room behind it. i dont think it will interfere with the engine speed gauge but the motherboard sure as hell is in the way.

also, bracing it in there so that it doesnt move would be tricky imo.

mtexeiraPR07
07-29-2009, 11:07 PM

somebody5788
07-30-2009, 07:00 AM
I really want to make a Compass just like this anybody got any idea's?

http://i30.tinypic.com/2it1qvr.jpg

Seerlah
07-30-2009, 07:34 AM
There is a thread on it by Dougyfresh. He used a boost gauge, but I am sure you can apply the same principle with a digital compass(maybe). Clicky Click (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234102&highlight=boost+gauge)

mtexeiraPR07
08-05-2009, 01:38 PM
so as you all predicted...it didnt work out as planned. the boost gauge stuck out like almost 3 inches from being flush with the cluster. It was a cool idea, but it is not happening. lol. I am just gonna order a pod. haha. thanks again.

.Mad Hatter.
08-05-2009, 01:41 PM
DIY center vent gauge!

mtexeiraPR07
08-05-2009, 01:42 PM
DIY center vent gauge!

or this if I am impatient. [>_<][up]