and will be purchasing a down pipe on friday

so my to buy list is down to
test pipe
manifold
injectors
vr6 maf
i will be using a custom braided oil feed line, and a custom 3" inlet

is there anything i am missing ?

my questions, what were your solutions to the difficult coolant line, and the difficult oil return line ?
also what other problems were encountered
i know this information can be found by searching, but some of it is dated and second hand, i want current first hand information.
[wrench]

flynnr
07-28-2009, 03:23 PM
since its an elim turbo will bolt right up to your existing manifold?

also - is down pipe and test pipe the same thing?

flynnr
07-28-2009, 03:24 PM
and i think you are missing FMIC and new clutch unless you have these

Lazer Viking
07-28-2009, 03:30 PM
it will bolt up to the stock manifold, however it is detrimental to the peak performance of this particular turbo
down pipe and test pipe can be the same, but no they are different things in my case

and i already have a front mount, and the clutch will happen when ever it happens.. my stock one has been on its way out for a while now

Avant1.8BT
07-28-2009, 04:11 PM
My stock clutch lasted a week with my set up (same as yours).
I have a VR6 Maf housing pm me.
You might need a fuel pump, i did. Not sure if mine was on its way out or just couldn't keep up. I cut up my stock coolant line, bought some 3/8 hose (i think) and just made my own. the return stock coolant line worked fine. i had a custom oil return line made and purchased the fittings from atp.

Poopie
07-28-2009, 04:16 PM
you don't need an oil restrictor. you just need some banjo fittings and rubber hose for the coolant feed, and you can use the stock for the coolant return. The stock oil line will work for the feed and for the oil return, you just need to cut and bend the stock line and use a high temp oil resistant rubber line to extend the line down a little bit. This worked pretty good for me.

southpaw10
07-28-2009, 04:19 PM
modify the charge pipe of the racetec fmic if has the older pipe design.
http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page=webcontent/pages/apr3.html&category=1
towards the bottom of that page

Lazer Viking
07-28-2009, 04:28 PM
i am using the stock rubber outlet tube with my racetec, and will be fabbing a custom one up for the new turbo

thanks guys, if you all have any pictures of what you are talking about.. that would be fantastic

Poopie
07-28-2009, 04:32 PM
i think once you get the parts and start installing them you'll see what we mean.

I used all the stock rubber tubes. The boot off the turbo had to get trimmed slightly though. I just had to cut the ends off that cross over tube to get it to fit properly.

Poopie
07-28-2009, 04:34 PM
also, i would like to point out that the eliminator was design to use a lot of stock hardware. If you are gonna get parts made and fabbed, you should have went with a full frame turbo to start don't ya think?

I think save money where you can and put it towards the next turbo set up......you know its coming

Lazer Viking
07-28-2009, 04:44 PM
i figured alot of the stuff would be an as i go kinda thing, i just want to get everything straight before i tear it apart and have to run to the hardware/parts store 30 times

and as far as things being fabbed, only the inlet (silicon coupler, and a bent 3" pipe) and the charge pipe which i already have extra piping and bends laying around from the intercooler install
everything else will be an upgraded factory fitment piece , i am fairly sure this will probably be the most this car will see.. i have a craving to build a 1.8 swapped big turbo mk1 rabbit

Avant1.8BT
07-28-2009, 05:30 PM
forgot to ad, i had to run a mbc with my tune.

Lazer Viking
07-28-2009, 05:52 PM
good to know, what fuel pump did you upgrade to ?
i dont think i'll have trouble finding a maf housing, there is a junk yard near me with a few mk3 vr's

did anyone else have an issue with the fuel pump not being able to keep up with this kind of setup ?

Poopie
07-28-2009, 06:40 PM
what injectors are you using? if you are gonna be pumping a lot of fuel at a 3.5bar base pressure, i would atleast upgrade to a walbo one. The bosche 044 is leaps and bounds better in all aspects, but it will cost you a chunk of change. you can also find a nice used walbro for well under 100 bucks. They are around 100 new anyways.

Lazer Viking
07-29-2009, 01:28 AM
im gonna be running 415cc's

Lazer Viking
07-29-2009, 11:15 AM
i dont think i would run a walbro, those bishes are loud

Avant1.8BT
07-29-2009, 06:12 PM
good to know, what fuel pump did you upgrade to ?
i dont think i'll have trouble finding a maf housing, there is a junk yard near me with a few mk3 vr's

did anyone else have an issue with the fuel pump not being able to keep up with this kind of setup ?

i got a walbro 255

Poopie
07-29-2009, 08:09 PM
i've never heard a peep out of mine

TMorris
07-29-2009, 08:42 PM
i dont think i would run a walbro, those bishes are loud

Isn't that a good thing?

Fink_tha_Audi
07-29-2009, 09:33 PM
you don't need an oil restrictor. you just need some banjo fittings and rubber hose for the coolant feed, and you can use the stock for the coolant return. The stock oil line will work for the feed and for the oil return, you just need to cut and bend the stock line and use a high temp oil resistant rubber line to extend the line down a little bit. This worked pretty good for me.

So you dont need the oil restrictor but wont that let too much oil into the bearings, i was told that you need one.

creechsa4
07-30-2009, 06:20 AM
used stock oil feed line. used stock oil return line. just clocked the turbo until it fit fine. the water return line i used a aluminum banjo that has a 1/4 female on the end, then used two 1 inch home depot brass threaded tube, 90deg angle female then a small section of silicone hose to mate up to nipple on block. hose was small, used sae hose 5/16 i believe. on my friends car he used a earl's banjo that has a 90 built in with nipple, then he used a hose straight shot into the block. both our setups used a .035 restrictor. i was 71, he was gtrs.

Fink_tha_Audi
07-30-2009, 12:00 PM
used stock oil feed line. used stock oil return line. just clocked the turbo until it fit fine. the water return line i used a aluminum banjo that has a 1/4 female on the end, then used two 1 inch home depot brass threaded tube, 90deg angle female then a small section of silicone hose to mate up to nipple on block. hose was small, used sae hose 5/16 i believe. on my friends car he used a earl's banjo that has a 90 built in with nipple, then he used a hose straight shot into the block. both our setups used a .035 restrictor. i was 71, he was gtrs.

So I should be ok with a restrictor on a 2871r, cause I just replaced it after getting my turbo back from ATP.

Lazer Viking
07-30-2009, 07:46 PM
i was also under the impression i needed a restrictor or the oil pressure could blow the seals in the turbo.
creechsa4: can you get me a link to the banjo fitting i need (like the earls one used on your friends car)

Lazer Viking
07-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Isn't that a good thing?

i would like the car to be as quiet as possible, but that may just be me [rolleyes]

the last walboro i heard was in a gutted mk2, so that may be why it was so loud

creechsa4
07-31-2009, 07:00 AM
similar setup
http://www.aptuning.net/Turbo_Fittings_p/atp-ftg-006.htm

Poopie
07-31-2009, 09:03 AM
if you are gonna spend the money then just go right to a AN style fitting. They have better flow.

this guy

http://www.extremepsi.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=21666&cat=1545&page=1

then a bend to push lock

http://www.extremepsi.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=1066

cheaper too.

Poopie
07-31-2009, 09:05 AM
http://www.extremepsi.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=1067

Lazer Viking
07-31-2009, 03:33 PM
thanks guys
heres a couple of pictures of where it will all end up
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2571/3776421108_c577fb5a9f.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3452/3740404898_00b5a4b1f6.jpg