PDA

View Full Version : Tiptronic wont work

no1hustller
12-11-2004, 01:23 PM
Hey guys.

My tiptronic won't work. If I put it over to the manual side it just shits like the regular auto. Also, on the dash were it shows you what gear that you are in, they are ALL highlighted.

Before this happened I was checking the fuses because my blower motor fuse blew so I checked the rest of them. So I was pulling each one out and puting it back in. I think the key was in and in the on position. Could this be related? Does the computer have to relearn the way I drive?

Also, it seemed like when I was on the highway, it wasn't shifting into 5th. But I'm not certian.

kassper
12-11-2004, 02:46 PM
isnt it when you lose power to the ecu you have to recalibrate it. if you were pulling fuses that may be it, but I'm not sure. theres something in the FAQ about it

kassper
12-11-2004, 02:47 PM
re-reading it it may be only when you install a chip. but I think i read somewhere that you have to do it when unplugging the batterey...

http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17224

blacka4
12-11-2004, 04:07 PM
woah are the colors inverted in the dash? if they are my friend the TCU has deteced a fault in the transmission and sent a code. you better get a VAG-COM to read that code. The transmission went into safe mode and needs to be checked for correct functionallity

ufokillerz
12-11-2004, 05:41 PM
when that happened to me, that mean my tranny was gone

skene
12-12-2004, 02:31 PM
a few words for you.

Search.

Multi-Function Switch.

Replace.

Fixed.

no1hustller
12-12-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by skene
a few words for you.

Search.

Multi-Function Switch.

Replace.

Fixed.

I DID search.

blacka4
12-12-2004, 04:03 PM
a few words for you.

Search.

Multi-Function Switch.

Replace.

Fixed.

dude your an ass...the miltifunction switch will not cause the screen to go all red. I had the display go red on me and it wouldn't shift. all I had to do was restart the car and all worked again. but sometimes your not that lucky.

neverfollow
12-12-2004, 05:02 PM
does tip engage?

neverfollow
12-12-2004, 05:05 PM
and if its your blower motor for your heat/ac unit that wouldn't have anything to do with it because mine just went the other day to its (fuse #5 a 10 amp) and i just replaced it no prob and i have a tip. why did it blow do you know? because i was messing with my headunit with the car on and the power wire accidently came out while the car was on causing it to blow. You should figure out why you blew a fuse while your at it

no1hustller
12-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by neverfollow
and if its your blower motor for your heat/ac unit that wouldn't have anything to do with it because mine just went the other day to its (fuse #5 a 10 amp) and i just replaced it no prob and i have a tip. why did it blow do you know? because i was messing with my headunit with the car on and the power wire accidently came out while the car was on causing it to blow. You should figure out why you blew a fuse while your at it

No, tip won't engage. When you put it over there it just acts like it is in auto.

I was checking all the fuses to see if any others were blown. I also was checking the voltage and stuff on the blower motor. I can't figure out why the fuse was blowing. It blew twice, but hasn't since. So I don't know.

blacka4
12-12-2004, 05:16 PM
You said the screen goes red right? have it checked for codes. If there are none then there is a little magnet on the shifter that is missing. the plastic thing that holds it in place broke

no1hustller
12-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by blacka4
You said the screen goes red right? have it checked for codes. If there are none then there is a little magnet on the shifter that is missing. the plastic thing that holds it in place broke

If you mean that all the numbers/letters "PRND432" are highlighted instead of just the one that the car is currently in.

neverfollow
12-12-2004, 05:38 PM
allright carefully take your tip cover off. underneath is a small magnet that sits in there( not on the underneath of the cover but on the black piece that goes around the shifter) which (when slipped over into tip) tells the computer that it should engage tip. when i did a brushed aluminum mod on my tip cover that wasn't in the right place and tip wouldn't engage. before buying or tearing at any parts check to make sure that magnet is there. if you do a search on here ( try under "tip trouble" or "tip wont work") there should be a couple of posts with this same problem. good luck man

skene
12-12-2004, 05:39 PM
dude your an ass...the miltifunction switch will not cause the screen to go all red. I had the display go red on me and it wouldn't shift. all I had to do was restart the car and all worked again. but sometimes your not that lucky.

You're an ass if you think that it's not the Mulfi-Function swith.

The MF switch is what engages the difference from switching from auto to tip as well as other functions of the transmission. When the MF switch is going bad it will light up all PRND123 in reverse so that all letters are now dark.

neverfollow
12-12-2004, 05:41 PM
okay search under "tip doesn't work" go down to "where did my tip go" posted by joeya103. that will explain what you need to do in a little better detail.

no1hustller
12-13-2004, 03:14 PM
Ok, now I'm noticing that there seems to be something getting shorted out. It sounds like a wire is arcing on something. Like a 'zeet, zeet' sound. Or it sounds like a servo is working if you know what they sound like. When ever it does that, all the lights, dash and headlights flicker. I also noticed that it sounds like the cooling fan is going on and off rapidly. But I didn't hear that all the time. It sounds like it is coming from right around the steering column or behind the actual dash guages.

Now, on another unrelated note (i hope), the airbag light has been on since september. Could it have something to do with that?

This sucks...I am terrible with electronics and the techs at my shop aren't very good in that area as well. I really don't want to take my car to the dealer seeing how I manage my own shop...

UberProJect2.8
12-13-2004, 04:27 PM
You're an ass if you think that it's not the Mulfi-Function swith.

The MF switch is what engages the difference from switching from auto to tip as well as other functions of the transmission. When the MF switch is going bad it will light up all PRND123 in reverse so that all letters are now dark.

My whole display LCD screen including the PRND123 is like faded.. does this mean the Multi-function switch is going bad or what? thanks

blacka4
12-13-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by UberProJect2.8
My whole display LCD screen including the PRND123 is like faded.. does this mean the Multi-function switch is going bad or what? thanks

that MIGHT be the display going bad all together..try turing up the brightness.

neverfollow
12-13-2004, 06:12 PM
my airbag lights on too

UberProJect2.8
12-13-2004, 10:15 PM
that MIGHT be the display going bad all together..try turing up the brightness.

Yea its deffinetly not the brightness, its turned up all the way.. what can i do to fix this?

atuodmi
03-01-2006, 08:17 PM
no1hustller, I realize you posted this issue quite a while ago. Did you have any luck in finding what was wrong with the tip? I was checking some fuses on my 98 2.8 quattro the other day and I ended up with the highlighted gear indicator, no tip, and no 5th gear. I was hoping you found out how to fix it.[hail] [confused]

no1hustller
03-02-2006, 05:45 AM
I had to take it to the dealer so they could reset the code. There was no code in it. Whatever fuse was pulled triggered it.