PDA

View Full Version : adding a chip to an ecu

ahaters46
07-21-2009, 12:03 PM
just because i dont know. is it hard easy can it even be done in a home garage. i looked in the diy section anyone know of one on another site

2001A4QUATTRO
07-21-2009, 12:08 PM
If you dont have serious soldering skills I would not recommend it... Think of the cost of you messing up your ecu... Most chip manufacturers solder in a socket that you can just push the chip in. I am not sure of the cost but that is your best bet. Now they actually flash your ecu, meaning they download the software directly to your ecu without adding a chip.

MikeWasHere05
07-21-2009, 12:23 PM
If you have to ask, you can't do it.

Motronic 3.9.2 can not be OBD flashed. I believe 3.9.2 is used on any DBC engine (ie: AEB). 5.9.2 or up is necessary for OBD flashing, that would be the DBWs... AWM, ATW, etc.

andyrew
07-21-2009, 12:42 PM
What exactly are you trying to do? Just "Chip your car" or put a chip in it so you can custom tune it with a chip program...

2001A4QUATTRO
07-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Actually I believe that they can flash even the nDBW ecus now. Look it up.. :)

My friend had his 99 flashed at waterfest. (AEB)

andyrew
07-21-2009, 03:00 PM
All modern day tunes for our A4's are flashloaded on the stock ecu.

h4robkr123
07-21-2009, 04:56 PM
I see you're in Dover, why don't you just go to East Coast European in Greenland and see what they have to say about putting it in for you. In the end the cost to chance of messing something up ratio will even out.

ahaters46
07-22-2009, 08:43 PM
I see you're in Dover, why don't you just go to East Coast European in Greenland and see what they have to say about putting it in for you. In the end the cost to chance of messing something up ratio will even out.

alright im looking it to it

owdiofile
09-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience with this cheaper ecu chip mod?
http://www.engineperformancechip.com/audi-performance-chip-audi-a4-1996-2008-c-2_57/power-performance-chip-x2-p-8

It is not made to replace the factory ecu but can be added on and removed if necessary. It sells for ~$80. I am not planning any serious mods/upgrades and cannot justify spending $500 for the APR stage 1 chip for ~25hp increase (the 2001 A4 1.8TQ has 180hp stock vs 150hp on the earlier B5's, the chip upgrade without other mods boosts to ~200hp). If you know anyone who has tried this option please reply. I'm not looking to race or autocross, just for some improvement in performance and efficiency. Thanks!

allspooledup
09-02-2009, 10:22 AM
i would never purchase that. stick with the big companies( GIAC, APR, Revo or Unitronics) the ecu is not something you want to cheap out on. If you do not want to spend 500, keep an eye on the classifieds and get a used one. one will pop up sooner or later( if there isnt any in there now). otherwise you could look into the speedtuning chip which is iirc $250. some have had problems with speedtuning some havent. im sure someone else with chime in with there expieirence.

tunaglove
09-02-2009, 10:35 AM
I ordered an In-motion chip and soldered it in myself. It was not easy, and you need to have some good soldering tools like a solder sucker, copper braid, and a nice iron. On my first try I had no CEL and my car wouldn't start. I re-heated all the leads and then it worked. I could have easily toasted the ecu. I have heard of peole buying the chip then finding a local electronics repair shop to put in. This is what I would do if I ever needed to do it over.

owdiofile
09-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks allspooledup! I also posted this question on PW: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2382182#post2382182 . It turned out somewhat comical when one poster called it snake oil and led me to check some of their other products. I apologize to the moderators if I violated any rules by linking that thread. It is good to know that both forums have elicited good, useful responses to my naive question. I'm learning as I go.
Much obliged to all the responders. [hail]