PDA

View Full Version : the Commie-K04 Thread: info on knock-off K04's

slingshot
07-20-2009, 10:41 AM
This thread is for those who have actually used these turbos or are planning to run one of these turbos, and want to find or post information.

Who has one? Have you had problems with it? What kind of problems? How did you solve them?

If you have not used one of these turbos yourself, please spare us your comments. Yes we know "it's gonna blow up" "it's gonna fall apart" "it's gonna ruin your engine" and of course "well, why don't you just buy a real one?"
I don't think anyone who has $1000 for a genuine B&W K04 is out shopping for cheap chinese replicas. If someone wants a fake one, it's probably because they cost a fraction of the price of a real one.

I got one of these off eBay, and installed it yesterday.
First impression...it's a K04 without the badging. The compressor housing is polished, and obviously it does not bear the KKK nameplate or model/serial number plate and there is no KKK logo cast into the housings.
The one I got was packaged nicely. It came in a styrofoam reinforced box, and all inlets, outlets and oil/coolant ports were plugged properly. It came with studs for the exhaust outlets and two cheap-looking metal gaskets that I didn't use.

Here's a pic of the stock K03 next to my new ebay-K04
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/73/l_4a63226dbbdd401e843c0733f90c3a18.jpg

One problem that I read about in other threads related to these turbos was the wastegate. The wastegate on these turbos is way smaller than one on the stock turbo, which could cause the turbo to overboost. Overboost = bad. This may be what's causing a lot of these turbos to fail prematurely.
Mine was no different. [:/]
stock K03 on the left, Commie-K04 on the right
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/104/l_d840d38ef94b404bb28d6e27a6c77077.jpghttp://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/103/l_1ef56d77856443fdb0228bf27b18f70b.jpg

This was easily fixed with a few minutes of Dremel action.
The problem here was that the casting was off center [headbang] So, the flat seat area that should be taken up by the wastegate hole was not centered beneath the flapper itself. (notice the oil mark around the hole on the K04...this marks where the flapper sits when closed)
I was able to open the hole up anyway, but not as much as I wanted, since part of the area that needed to be opened up was beyond the edge of the flapper.

The crooked exhaust housing became more appearent when the turbo was installed on the manifold, and the turbo actually sits at a slight angle on the manifold. This isn't really a problem since it fits just fine, and doesn't make contact with anything. But this type of poor quality control is what makes the difference between a Borg Warner turbo and a Chinese copy.

One other thing I found was that the wastegate flapper was adjusted way too far down the rod, which would cause it to open earlier. This may have been done to compensate for the small wastegate. After I opened the hole up I adjusted the rod up a few turns.

So far so good. No leaks or issues at all as of day two.
I'll update the thread with any problems I run into along the way.

Please post in here if you have something to add. This thread is meant to be informative, so please save the BS comments and conjecture.

UPDATE Turbo has blown its seals after only 500 miles of use.
I went for a drive tonight, and after a few WOT pulls the turbo started spewing huge clouds of oil smoke at idle.
I'm going to attempt to rebuild it myself rather than pay top dollar to fix a bargain basement part.
I'll update with pics of the process when I get there.

seanj130
07-20-2009, 11:20 AM
I really like how you are taking this approach, many are not willing to by a replica. i know alot of guys, espically my good friend, runs these turbos in his integras'. the only problem with these turbos, is that when they have to be rebuilt, companies charge more for the rebuild because of the parts used to make them. But great thread idea, that is just my input.

juxsa
07-20-2009, 02:02 PM
id like to see bix of the compressor and turbine wheels along with what center section looks like... what did you pay for the knock off?

slingshot
07-20-2009, 02:52 PM
id like to see bix of the compressor and turbine wheels along with what center section looks like... what did you pay for the knock off?
Mine is already on the car. But the compressor and turbine wheels are identical to a BW K04. No idea about the center section. I would imagine it looks just like the genuine parts, only made out of cheaper materials.
The only visible difference between mine and a real one was the sloppy casting of the exhaust housing.
I paid $279. Found out afterward that you can get them from the Chinese company for like $185.

I really like how you are taking this approach, many are not willing to by a replica. i know alot of guys, espically my good friend, runs these turbos in his integras'. the only problem with these turbos, is that when they have to be rebuilt, companies charge more for the rebuild because of the parts used to make them. But great thread idea, that is just my input.
How often has your friend had to rebuild them?
I've found a lot of info on ebay turbos for other cars, mostly T3/T4's andn 16g's, and most of them work just fine.

I'm not sure where the "100% failure rate" that I keep reading about on Audi/VW boards comes from, but I'm thinking it has something to do with the wastegate problem.

big_greasy_taco
07-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Wouldnt it be possible to weld the internal wastegate and run an external? You would of course need a new manifold though

slingshot
07-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Wouldnt it be possible to weld the internal wastegate and run an external? You would of course need a new manifold though
Yea, but probably not worth it for this little-dick turbo.

Neelym90
07-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Yea, but probably not worth it for this little-dick turbo.

lmao

Dynamite
07-20-2009, 06:42 PM
if you weld it and used a external then you would need a new mani any way, it would be cheaper just to get a BW k04 and then not have the issues of needing a new mani

geeky
07-20-2009, 06:55 PM
The problem with the Chinese knock-off K04's is the fact that some chinese manufactures do NOT balance the center CHRA so the entire turbo isn't balanced and can lead to premature failure of the seals/compressor. This is not from personal experience, but while looking deeply into the topic of using a Chinese K04 I found that info from someone who had bought the K04 and it blew within 750 miles. He sent it out to get diagnosed for what was wrong, and that was the diagnosis. I found it under google. If i can find the link again, I'll post up a link.

slingshot
07-20-2009, 07:31 PM
The problem with the Chinese knock-off K04's is the fact that some chinese manufactures do NOT balance the center CHRA so the entire turbo isn't balanced and can lead to premature failure of the seals/compressor. This is not from personal experience, but while looking deeply into the topic of using a Chinese K04 I found that info from someone who had bought the K04 and it blew within 750 miles. He sent it out to get diagnosed for what was wrong, and that was the diagnosis. I found it under google. If i can find the link again, I'll post up a link.
I've read that also. I had planned on getting mine balanced before I installed it but said fuckit and put it on anyway. Hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the ass.
My turbo came from a company called E-Motor USA out of Indianapolis. From what I've read, they source their turbos from a relatively high-quality chinese manufacturer that actually balances their turbos properly.

Dynamite
07-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Has anyone had one on a dyno? if the Chinese ones have a smaller waste gate, could this reduce the boost drop off the KKKs have a higher revs?

geeky
07-20-2009, 11:51 PM
I've read that also. I had planned on getting mine balanced before I installed it but said fuckit and put it on anyway. Hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the ass.
My turbo came from a company called E-Motor USA out of Indianapolis. From what I've read, they source their turbos from a relatively high-quality chinese manufacturer that actually balances their turbos properly.

haha that's exactly what I was planning, but I was able to find someone the the zine who was selling their K03S with K04 internals (gpopshop conversion) for $300 shipped so I went that route.

badseed
07-21-2009, 06:46 AM
What boost level and setup are you running this turbo at?

volfan98
07-21-2009, 09:58 AM
I don't have experience with the K04, but my Audi came with an Ebay K03 when I bought it (found this out after I bought it) and it has been fine for 20k miles now, and I don't take it easy on it either. I boost around 20psi dropping to 14 or so. I keep thinking that it has to die pretty soon, but it keeps going.

Matt

audiness
07-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Is it actually made in China? I know that some of the knock-off KO4's are made elsewhere in europe. I personally would not put anything Chinese in or on my car.

BenjaminR
07-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Im kind of excited about this. Yeah im sure the quality is lacking a bit, but if anyone can pick up a K04 for $200 thats a pretty banging deal IMO...

geeky
07-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Im kind of excited about this. Yeah im sure the quality is lacking a bit, but if anyone can pick up a K04 for $200 thats a pretty banging deal IMO...

Just remember, you get what you pay for.

slingshot
07-21-2009, 04:15 PM
What boost level and setup are you running this turbo at?
15psi, Neuspeed ecu, 2.5" turbo-back with a testpipe, HKS cone filter, shitty leaking GFB diverter valve.

Is it actually made in China? I know that some of the knock-off KO4's are made elsewhere in europe. I personally would not put anything Chinese in or on my car.
Pretty sure it is Chinese, yea.

slingshot
08-01-2009, 09:59 PM
update: My turbo is now blowing shitloads of smoke. [headbang]

Only took 500 miles. Gotta love that Chinese commitment to excellence in manufacturing.

I'm gonna rebuild the turd rather than simply toss it. I will be rebuilding it myself, since at the price I paid it's hardly worth spending $300-something to have it done professionally.

walky_talky20
08-01-2009, 10:36 PM
I put a chinese k03 chra in my car. The original turbo had siezed after the nut on the compressor wheel fell of and jammed (anybody heard of that?).

The chinese unit makes quite a bit of noise compared to a genuine unit. I think this could be due to it being poorly balanced. The sound is just like a real K03 just 5x louder under boost. It screams...literally.

After installation it lasted 2500 miles before failure (huge clouds of black smoke, etc). My father and I took it apart and determined the cause of the failure. The turbo center housing was not machined properly where it recieves the piston ring (turbine end). Upon very close inspection you could see the difference compared to the genuine part. It was transfering too much heat to the shaft. This, in turn, caused rapid deterioration of the journal bearing. The turbo was tight upon install. After the failure there was enough play for the compressor fins to touch the housing (barely).

Solution: We rebuilt the chinese CHRA with a new journal bearing, piston ring (turbine end), and used the center housing from the original turbo. It has been going good for about 10k miles now, but still screams. I've got it chipped now (which was probably not the best decision if I want this thing to last) and it is making at least 16 psi, although I think it builds boost a tad slower than it should. I was thining of going the chinese K04 route when this thing dies, but I guess I'll watch this thread before I make up my mind.

slopoke
08-02-2009, 10:52 AM

Only took 500 miles. Gotta love that Chinese commitment to excellence in manufacturing.

I'm gonna rebuild the turd rather than simply toss it. I will be rebuilding it myself, since at the price I paid it's hardly worth spending $300-something to have it done professionally.

Well that settles it[up]

slingshot
08-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Well that settles it[up]
Ha pretty much.
I just don't get it. How come their T3/T4's work but they can't build a K04?

douchbagd
08-02-2009, 10:04 PM

lucky you! i bought the same exact turbo and mine started blowing white smoke after only 250 miles! I'm going to rebuild it myself also with the center housing. ill keep you guys posted.

A4Rob
08-03-2009, 08:24 AM

Buy nice or buy twice[>_<][;)]

Altech75
08-03-2009, 05:50 PM

That's gonna be a tattoo. I guarantee it. Eventually, maybe.

slingshot
08-03-2009, 07:39 PM
I could buy four of these shitboxes and still not spend what a real K04 costs. [;)] Fuckit.

I put the stock turbo back on today and disassembled the K-0-faux.

Some pics with the turbine housing removed...
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/65/l_c7cf1b1e70164d7fb95f02348ccc663a.jpg
See all that oil there? Yea that's not supposed to be there.
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/70/l_4c3816f792e74e5c9e4db1317af3f767.jpg

I have the CHRA almost completely apart now. I didn't take pics of that today since I was pressed for time to get the stock turbo back in.
I'll post a complete set of pics of the breakdown and rebuild when I put it back together.
It breaks-down very easily and should be just as easy to put back together, assuming I can find a set of tiny enough snap ring pliers to get the seals out.

slingshot
08-03-2009, 07:50 PM
lucky you! i bought the same exact turbo and mine started blowing white smoke after only 250 miles! I'm going to rebuild it myself also with the center housing. ill keep you guys posted.
[:(]
You might be screwed if it's white smoke (coolant) and not blue smoke (oil). If it's burning coolant that probably means it's cracked, since the coolant doesn't flow through the area that has seals that can go bad.
You should take it apart and check for cracks. You might be able to replace the housing and keep the guts, if you can find a housing somewhere with blown internals.

Seerlah
08-03-2009, 11:16 PM
I did not want to post in this thread with a negative comment, as per your request in your first post. But yeah, now you know. There is actually a Honda forum where people throw ebay turbos in their vehicles for kicks and giggles. I knew this thing was going to blow. I was thinking it would last at least 2k though. Out of curiosity, how much you pay for that turbocharger?

So, you say that the ebay t3/t4 T04E ones work?

docurley
08-04-2009, 01:17 AM
So it would be safe to say from your testing that the ebay K04's are not worth the money even if you bought four they still would not last as long as a real K04?

MikeWasHere05
08-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Keep in mind that spending $1,100 on a K04 is pretty retarded and not something a majority of people would do. Just gotta be patient and find a used deal. I paid $450 for mine.

docurley
08-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Keep in mind that spending $1,100 on a K04 is pretty retarded and not something a majority of people would do. Just gotta be patient and find a used deal. I paid $450 for mine.

You can get K04's for less than $900 and if you paid more well you would be a fool.

slingshot
08-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Out of curiosity, how much you pay for that turbocharger?

So, you say that the ebay t3/t4 T04E ones work?
I paid $275. I found out later that the same turbo can be had for $180 if you order it direct from the sweatshop.

From what I've seen, there are quite a few ebay t3/t4's running around that work just fine. I aligned a Civic at work a few weeks ago that had been running an SSautoTurd kit for over a year with no problems whatsoever.

So it would be safe to say from your testing that the ebay K04's are not worth the money even if you bought four they still would not last as long as a real K04?
lol "testing"
I can say for sure that the one I bought wasn't worth a shit [:D]. There may be better ones out there but I won't be testing any of those myself [;)]
If I had it to do over again I would spend another $200 and buy a used B/W K04.

I would still not spend anywhere near $1000 for a K04. It's just not worth it for the gains you get.

To anyone considering buying one of these, I say if you can afford the gamble I guess it's worth a shot. Just don't buy one from emUSA or whatever. And keep your stock turbo handy...

douchbagd
08-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Don't buy it! It's not worth the labor and time wasted. This is the 3rd turbo I went through that I got from ebay. I originally bought a OEM k03 turbo(supposedly) with blue audi tags and all but that went out after the first turn of the key(whining sound). So I contacted the seller which told me they'll send a k04(commie usa) upgraded replacement free of charge which took 3 weeks to get and that one went up in smoke also!....and now this, 3rd one and still no luck. Good thing I didn't purchase all 3 and just had it replace but maybe you might not be so lucky.

DGAFxxx
08-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Don't buy it! It's not worth the labor and time wasted. This is the 3rd turbo I went through that I got from ebay. I originally bought a OEM k03 turbo(supposedly) with blue audi tags and all but that went out after the first turn of the key(whining sound). So I contacted the seller which told me they'll send a k04(commie usa) upgraded replacement free of charge which took 3 weeks to get and that one went up in smoke also!....and now this, 3rd one and still no luck. Good thing I didn't purchase all 3 and just had it replace but maybe you might not be so lucky.

Did you prime the eBay turbos first?

douchbagd
08-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Did you prime the eBay turbos first?
Yea I prime all three. Made sure there was a good amount of oil in there before the hardlines went on.

somebody5788
08-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Im curious if most of the problem with these is shelf life. Oil seals + sitting on a shelf for 2 years is not good...

slingshot
08-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Im curious if most of the problem with these is shelf life. Oil seals + sitting on a shelf for 2 years is not good...
The oil seals are actually steel snap rings, not normal oil seals like you're thinking.
I think the problem is that they're reverse-engineered and built by people who don't give a rat's ass about their product. Same reason they put lead paint in their children's toys, coolant in their cough medicine, and cardboard in their dumplings.

I'm optimistic about the rebuild. At least if I rebuild it myself I'll know that the person putting it together actually cares if it's functional when it's done.
I think I'll spring for the expensive parts when I rebuild this thing [:o]

slingshot
08-04-2009, 08:11 PM
found the clowns responsible for producing this turbo:

http://www.turbocooler.cn/

slingshot
08-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Found this turbo on wolfsburgparts.com
According to them, these turbos are assembled at their warehouse in Charlotte, NC. Still waiting to hear back about where they get the parts.

http://www.wolfsburgparts.com/18T20VK04Turbo.htm

The housing looks quite a bit larger than a K03/K04-15. Perhaps this is a K04-20??
http://www.turbosandparts.com/images/18TK04Pic4.jpg
http://www.turbosandparts.com/images/18TK04Pic1.jpg
http://www.turbosandparts.com/images/18TK04Pic2.jpg

20vpower
08-05-2009, 07:18 PM
my buddy ran a 50 trim t3/t4e on his civic for a long time (granted 14psi max maybe). i told him it was going to pop quick but it lasted a few months, matter of fact he crashed the car and upgraded to a real garrett 60 trim before it went out.

slingshot
08-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Update:

Ok, I rebuilt the turbo with a quality dual-feed bearing and all new seals.
When I took the shaft/wheel assembly to a local turbo shop to be balanced, they kindly informed me that the shaft was fucked. It was grooved from making contact with something inside the CHRA due to all the shaft play, and needed to be ground. This wouldn't be a problem with most other turbos, but since there are no smaller inner-diameter bearings available for the K03/K04, grinding the shaft down would only create more shaft play. Great.
So I said f**k it and put the POS back together anyway.

Initially it seemed fine, and most of the whine was gone. 20 miles later the dentist drill sound has returned and I can smell the thing starting to burn oil already. Go China!

For my next trick, I will attempt to mount the K04 compressor wheel and compressor housing to the K03 CHRA and exhaust housing and see what kind of power that gives me over the regular K03.
I'll update when I get it together.

walky_talky20
08-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Or you could get a new turbine/shaft from gpop shop. I know my dad bought one for a K03 from them a while back. He was fixing an A4 where the wastegate disk fell off and got stuck in the turbine and jammed the turbo. Ouch. I want to say it was like $50 for the turbine/shaft, but it was a while ago.

Did you buy a kit for the rebuild? Can you be specific as to what all you replaced? I'm interested, because I fear my turbo may be nearing the end of its life...again.

slingshot
08-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Or you could get a new turbine/shaft from gpop shop. I know my dad bought one for a K03 from them a while back. He was fixing an A4 where the wastegate disk fell off and got stuck in the turbine and jammed the turbo. Ouch. I want to say it was like $50 for the turbine/shaft, but it was a while ago.

Did you buy a kit for the rebuild? Can you be specific as to what all you replaced? I'm interested, because I fear my turbo may be nearing the end of its life...again.
The kit came with:
-two journal bearings, one original-style and one dual-feed (two large oil feed ports and two small ports)
-both piston rings (one for the flinger and one for the turbine shaft)
-two snap rings (one on either end of the bearing to hold it in place)
-the rubber o-ring that seals the compressor housing backplate (the dog dish) to the CHRA
and replacement bolts

If your turbo is dicked up again you will probably have to replace the shaft again. I'm gonna try to use the shiney K04 compressor housing and wheel on my K03 and throw the eBay turd into the ocean.
My beat, cracked, 127k-mile K03 works ten times better than this brand new POS knock-off.

For those of you who doubted my knock-off turbo, you were right.
For those of you considering buying one of these to save money, don't bother. You'll just end up taking it off and either wasting your time and more money rebuilding it five times, or junking it altogether. Save money by buying a genuine used K04.

If anyone has had any success with one of these turbos, please post and let us know.

slingshot
08-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Update:

I'm now running a Frankenturbo K03/K04 hybrid, using the K04 compressor housing and wheel on my stock K03 CHRA and turbine housing.
The power seems the same as the full K04 so far. If anything it should spool faster, since the K03 turbine wheel is smaller than the K04's. Haven't had a chance to take it out and beat on it yet.

A1 A2 German
03-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Letter to Borg Warner:

Hello,
I've purchased a brand new BW Ko4-015 turbo for my Audi on the personal adds for $675 on www.Audizine.com (an Audi enthusiasts website). When it arrived there was no box for it, no paper work and simply just the turbo. Upon install there where many many issues that started to raise flags regarding the authenticity of this turbo (not necessary to read, but I did list the problems @ the bottom of this email if you chose to read).

After completion of install I did:

-Oil Level Test (Good)
-2 primer starts (Good)
-Oil Level Test (Good)
-2 10 minute idles (Good)
-Oil Level Test (Good)
-Gradual cost around the condo units (Good, Attempted no boost)

I pulled on the street, softly applied gas to gradually make 5-8 PSI, made it 100 yards and BAM! Upon removing the exhaust, the turbine fell out, yep, I made it 100 yards and it blew apart. Now, don't get me wrong, I've built full standalone custom turbo cars, I've installed many of these Ko4s which are nothing more then bolt ons.

I do not know if your aware, through Audizine, members (before hand to this incident) across the pond and here in the U.S. have uncovered that the Chinese are obtaining real Ko4-015 badges from Germany, having them shipped to China, where they produce a real Borg Warner badged fakes....where I believe this one comes into play.

Along with the install issues, I noticed there was and is absolutely no red or blue balancing check mark on the compressor turbine nuts, as well, the nuts appear to never to have been tightened or torqued (no torque etches/marks from tools).

As well as the badge appears to have been etched by hand, I do not know where you guys stand on etching (CNC, Laser Etch, or do use a ~dremal).

So including, is the badge #'s, pictures of the turbo with 0 miles prehand to install, a picture of the compressor nuts showing no tightening and no balancing check mark (now black as I had sprayed it with VHT high temp paint before install) and a couple pics of carnage. In a nut shell, is it possible to run the #'s or by visual inspection to verify if this is even real?

Badge looks exsactly like this:
************************************-
KK3
5304 988 0015
Ko4-015 5304 710 0507
************************************-

Install Issues:
The coolant return line to block would not mount to the waste gate plate, it didn't even match up closely, I spent 45 minutes in a vise adjusting my coolant line to fit.

The oil dump line would not only not fit period, the casting on the turbo had a raised horizontal bar and a vercial lip that prevented the flange from fitting. I had to grind the heck out of my dump tube flange just to make surface contact. I had to do the same with the gasket because the lip and bar prevented it from fitting. It wasn't even close.

Then due to the angle of the Ko4 and/or dump flange on the casting, the dump tube ran right into the oil pan boss/flange/starter area. I had to remove the dump line and bend it off the turbo to not run into everything.

Then it was still so off I had to make a custom line to contect the two because the OEM dump line couldn't make that bend.

Then the Ko4 angle was so off the test pipe would not mate, the entire KO4 hot side KKK flange was so off I couldn't fit it onto the studs...that was even with the exhaust system undone unmounted to move freely and man handled the hell just to get it on. After it was said and done the dp pick up point braceing it to the car was so off I had to make a custom one.

And the brace obviously wouldn't fit and had to make a custom one.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Blakelikesfood333/K04-15BrandNewPreSpray1.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Blakelikesfood333/BadKo4-1.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Blakelikesfood333/BadKo4TurbineBreaking001.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Blakelikesfood333/BadKo4TurbineBreaking002.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Blakelikesfood333/BadKo4TurbineBreaking003.jpg

protocol_droid
03-11-2010, 07:37 AM
holy smokes that sux

Doug@FrankenTurbo
03-11-2010, 08:05 AM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Blakelikesfood333/BadKo4TurbineBreaking003.jpg

That turbine rotor is German-made. The Chinese castings look different. It's also seen a lot more exhaust gases than 100ft worth. Wasn't new when you installed it, I'd say.

A1 A2 German
03-11-2010, 12:46 PM
That turbine rotor is German-made. The Chinese castings look different. It's also seen a lot more exhaust gases than 100ft worth. Wasn't new when you installed it, I'd say.

To be fair, it blew apart in 100 yards, however I still had to drive to work the next day on ~70hp. What had happened, happed in those yards via the BAM!.....and the turbo completey being seized or unable to spin due to the lack of the turbine and wouldn't spin during the limp home and to work (absoulity no wine, spool, dv valve, boost or metal on metal).

This is the condition of the turbo during install, it's as brand new as brand new can get.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Blakelikesfood333/K04-15BrandNewPreSpray2.jpg

A1 A2 German
03-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Guess who called today? Borg Warner along with so, sent me an email for documentation. And, my response to the seller.

Tuesday, March 16th, 2010

Blake,

It looks to me you received a knock-off or pirate turbo as you suspected… Some of the signs are, as you noted; the incorrect nameplate label (“KK3”) and the information on the nameplate is wrong as well. There are several other things which don’t align with our genuine product, which you found with fitment and performance, or lack of rather. Unfortunately, this is a common failure mode for these pirated turbos as unbelievable as it sounds; five minutes is a long life span from what I’ve heard stories of. I don’t know what to tell you except to ask the questions when you have concerns prior to installing or modifying anything… if the turbo is supposed to be a drop-in upgrade, it should just drop-in. Let me know if you have any questions for me…

Thanks, xxxxxxxxx

Email to Seller, Tuesday, March 16th, 2010

Hello Renz,
First I'd like to thank you for at least getting back with me regarding my previous contact. I understand being in the position your in, as I've sold amps that I know work, then receive an email from the buyer it does not. Who knows how they hooked it up, maybe they did fry it, maybe it's not even hooked up properly from the start and it makes it a tough call as a seller.
Concerning the turbo, if this was not a Borg Warner turbo and ended up being say a Garret or say a CTS turbo (real turbos) then no real harm done, considering those are real turbos and it wouldn't really bother me at all that I was running one of their turbos instead of a Borg Warner.
However this is a documented fake Ko4-015, and documented through Borg Warner's South Carolina Manufacturing plant and their German Borg Warner Manufacturing plant. This is not a Borg Warner turbo as stated in the agreement, and a turbo is the last thing that can hold up being a fake. It sucks for you, if you truly did get it off your friend as you stated and he pulled one over on you, and your now is this situation.
As this is fake I'm going to have to open the dispute with Paypal, and considering it's documented it violates the agreement if I do not see a refund by Wednesday, March 16th, 2010. The best I can do for you an the best option I see, and to cost you the lest amount, is you applying the: Refund Payment, tap in which you will not receive any Paypal fees or charges from this transaction. In turn, and upon receiving the refund I would Paypal you the $40 in shipping charges it cost you, to get it to me (and quickly I thank you), simply in good faith and the good intent you had getting it to be very quickly.
Upon refund, I can send you the turbo back, however in all honesty it's pretty much a nightmere turbo and nothing lines up or fits, even a rebuild would be out of the question I would not reinstall it. I've forwarded you the Borg Warner email, directly from their plant.

-Blake Edwards

P.S.: Once again it's unfortunate this was not real, paying $675 is killing me paying over $1,500 a month in mortgage and H.O.A. dues in these times, I hope you understand being in my shoes if you where sold a fake anything and blew up right away, you'd be upset paying that amount. Not to mention it's not the quickest thing to install and already going to cost me another oil change, all new gaskets, and coolant out of my pocket, again. Thanx man

Doug@FrankenTurbo
03-17-2010, 06:14 AM
That's a darned crafty copy. I don't get why they didn't simply make it a bit better so long as they were going to the effort of such a good forgery.

97B518TQM
03-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Good luck getting your money back. I wouldn't hold my breath

SEATONE
05-04-2010, 02:41 PM
I really wish i would of found this thread sooner..... I just installed a ebay emusa k04 in my car... This one actually bolted right up beautifully. The car pulls alot harder and it sounds great. For a while when i first put it in it would spike over 24psi and cause the car to back fire on wot. Now it has been pretty good.., i am starting to get a little smoke once in a while and the burnt oil smell..... Aaagggghhhhhhh..... I cant stand it.... Im doing a couple other things that need to be done but for now i am pushing it like that.... The turbo boost at 20psi and steady at 18psi when i push it, normal driving it does about 12psi steady... Im also running it on revo stage 1 sw for now till i get the injectors i bought off of beesix then im going stage 2. I think the smoke maybe coming from too much oil in the pan i have to check it out... I have no wierd noise or anything like that.... I will keep you guys posted on any other findings.... Thanks for starting such an interesting thread....

ZimbutheMonkey
10-07-2010, 08:36 PM
With regards to the fakes, the best indication is the machined inlet lip. The real BW ones have a rough cast finish on the inlet lip. Also, as you pointed out the tag says KK3 on it. I remember seeing these come out about 2 years ago. I had blown my K04 and was looking for another one. The e-bay seller was saying that he had gotten a bunch from a liquidation sale of some sort. Good think I didn't have the money to buy one. The exact same thing happened to another guy on Passatworld.