PDA

View Full Version : "A heat shield isnt really important" quoted from AudiForum...

samleong
07-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Quoted from AudiForum:
"But on the 1.8T, a heat sheild isnt really important. The engine bay is cool when you car moving and also the air being sucked in will come out the turbo roughly the same temp as it would as if you had a CAI. The combination on heat from the turbine and compresion of the air will heat it to practically the same temp. This differnce will then be completly negated by the IC where it will be brought down to w/e % of ambient the IC is capable of, resulting in the same IAT's. As long as you dont place the intake on the maf directly above the turbo and manifold, you should be fine."

What do you think? The stock IC could negate the extra heat?

lifwanian
07-07-2009, 09:23 PM
I have a cone filter and the awesome heatshield built by the awesome forum member here, and I could tell a difference... when my car was running normal that is...

05A$SE
07-07-2009, 10:05 PM
let that person run there car like that and see how well it does sucking in mad hot air and burning the hell out of the car

aytheory
07-07-2009, 10:08 PM
that is easy to test since VAG has that function to read air temp

jrock
07-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Would not recommend removing the heat shield as it is there for a reason otherwise audi would have saved their money in production costs. Ya theres more airflow when you are moving and especially when you dont have a bottom pan (like me), but what about when your idling in traffic, stuck in traffic jams, at a long stop light, doing spirited driving and other situations... So personally I would recommend not removing it.

oneohone
07-07-2009, 11:38 PM
The heatshield defiantly makes a difference. I need the the one that the AZ member makes. It gets damn hot here in Texas and I can tell when my car starts sucking in hot air. The stock one does not suffice with a cone filter!!!

hernandez3011
07-08-2009, 12:04 AM
The heatshield defiantly makes a difference. I need the the one that the AZ member makes. It gets damn hot here in Texas and I can tell when my car starts sucking in hot air. The stock one does not suffice with a cone filter!!!

X2, I've been trying to get on like the one below from Blinktekdesign.com, does anyone know the AZ member who makes them or is this AZ member the owner same dude from blinktek design?

http://blinktekdesign.com/a4b5_1_sm.gif

J Ozzie
07-08-2009, 01:10 AM
i think it does make a diff.. Heat soak sucks ass!

speedydragon
07-08-2009, 02:58 AM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295795

Look what happens when the heat shield is missing :|

zrowcool
07-08-2009, 05:13 AM
X2, I've been trying to get on like the one below from Blinktekdesign.com, does anyone know the AZ member who makes them or is this AZ member the owner same dude from blinktek design?

Its the same guy. I bought it before he had the site but he sells them through that site now. Definitely worth the money.

B5A4Kevin
07-08-2009, 05:19 AM
^^x2. same guy. wouldnt leave home without it. contact him through the email on his site (blinktekdesign.com).

B5A4Kevin
07-08-2009, 05:23 AM
yes, the compressor will heat up the air charge, and an intercooler is more important to the inlet temperature of the charge air, but if you prevent turbo inlet temperatures from skyrocketing before reaching the compressor, it will have an affect on compressor outlet temp. whether or not it is a negligable or substantial difference should be delved into further with logs or temp gun readings, but i like the fact that i can drive as spirited as i choose, and still have an ambient cone.

McGovs2.7TB5
07-08-2009, 06:06 AM

He goes by 00Black1.8t on here. Hes a local member to me and is a real good guy. He helped me put my shocks and springs on. He doesnt post much but he logs in regularly.

samleong
07-08-2009, 07:43 AM
I know a heat shield is important but I just wonder why AF posts that on its forum. im going to diy one to see if it works.

InTTruder
07-08-2009, 09:51 AM
If it weren't needed, why did Vorsprung durch Technik install one? Idiots undo sound engineering every day in the name of "cool".

Poopie
07-08-2009, 10:16 AM
The intake temps even out pretty fast once you get moving. Probably even before you hit peak boost. Its not gonna hurt, but its not gonna gain you a whole lot which makes the whole topic kind of wishy washy. Everyone is gonna have their opinions. With the tapp tune and the huge maf, making a nice heatshield would have been a huge head ache so I passed on it. Still didn't stop it from making 315whp.

InTTruder
07-08-2009, 11:22 AM
No, but intake temps and heat soak WILL prevent you from making more HP from your investment. You lose, either way. Not going the extra mile after dropping $$$ into power mods is sort of intellectually near-sighted. [:/]

Poopie
07-08-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm not gonna argue with you there. But really if you are in stop in go traffic, you're screwed either way. I'm not ripping around in bumper to bumper traffic or stop light to stop light. If you are driving aggressively and have constant air movement over a good intercooler, an intake does not make that much a difference if any and I'll post the logs of it tonight. If there was a simple cheap solution, then its worth it. I'm just saying for me, spending the time to make a heat shield for an already retarded intake set up was not worth it.