PDA

View Full Version : Replacing plugs. Should i do wires too?

Euromike
07-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Titl says it all. I'm replacing the plugs, but the wires look ok and are quite expencive. Should I replace the wires too? Car has 80k miles and both are stock. I'm hoping this is the cause of the problom my car is having, it seems to studder and misfire when it's warm once in awhile when revving from
low rpm's. Thanks

fikes
07-07-2009, 07:06 PM
you don't replace "wires" unless you have a whole new harness. guarantee almost 100 percent the wires are fine unless there is physical damage. Misfires or sputtering it usually due to bad spark plugs and or one or multiple bad coil packs. Change plugs first and if that does not fix your probs then start swaping coil packs around to find the bad one and replace it.

A4Shizzle
07-08-2009, 02:33 AM
I wouldn't really call the connections from the coil pack to the plugs "wires," but I had one go bad on me (rubber was cracking), so I replaced all 4 while I was at it. I think I found them for under $10 each somewhere online. I wouldn't replace them unless you see signs of damage or something.

Your problem sounds like plugs. I'd just try those first since they're cheap and easy to get from any auto store. I had basically that same problem after I changed the plugs because I didn't set the proper gap, or bumped it wide while putting them in. Like .003 was enough to make a difference. I think the NKG BKR6E gapped to .032 is fairly popular around here, and are what I'm using.

offroader1006
07-08-2009, 05:58 AM
if this is a 2.8, which i am assuming since you dont have any turbo related mods in your sig, i would replace the wires if you have a misfire code. if you are just doing spark plugs because you want to, or you think its time, i wouldnt worry about it.

btw, local auto store had some duralasts for 130, suprisingly good quality.

cheapest online was 116 shipped using google shopping search.