PDA

View Full Version : T28 conversion?

lee goodall
06-29-2009, 10:24 AM
This is my first post on Audizine so first I'd like to say hi [:)]

My car is a 1996 A4 1.8T (B5 - AEB).

I have recently managed to get hold of a T28 turbo kit which includes everything I need to get up and running except injectors and MAF.

I believe other people on this site are running T28 turbos and was really after some info about their setup.

The main issues at the moment are:-

Which injectors to use?

Which MAF?

What is the best way to control the boost?.. N75 valve? Replacement boost controller etc?

I am upgrading my ECU as I have the earlier model which requires the chip to be removed and programmed etc.. I will be swapping to a later A4 loom and flashable ECU from a later VW Golf.

I will be getting a custom tune/map also.

Cheers.

biketsai
06-29-2009, 10:30 AM
The injectors and MAF really depend on what the tune call for. Id say a manual boost controller or electronic boost controller is the best way to control the boost.

slopoke
06-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Leicester ny?

maxspeed
06-29-2009, 11:26 AM
seeing as its a 96 1.8t, im gonna say Leicester englnd

Mawhitey
06-29-2009, 12:12 PM
He is UK based guys, i sent him here hoping you techie types can help him to sort this kit out for him

seanriv
06-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Pretty sure 440cc injectors with tt225 maf. These are dependent on the tune you choose. Pick a tuning company and they will tell you what you need. Unitronics or ?.

Seerlah
06-29-2009, 02:16 PM
As people already mentioned, the tuner will tell you which injectors, MAF, and fuel pressure you will need as different tunes call for different applications.

lee goodall
06-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Cheers for the input everyone it's really appreciated.

I'll get in contact with my tuner although we're not as fortunate in the UK as you U.S. guys and actually finding somebody who is competant enough to do the work is a challenge.

I was thinking that the TT 225 maf and 440 injectors was probably the way to go but as stated a lot is going to be dependant on the tune so that will be my next step.

Cheers.

Mawhitey
06-29-2009, 04:06 PM
You have off the shelf tunes over here don't you? I wonder if Tapp could tune a UK ECU?

lee goodall
06-30-2009, 05:59 AM
You have off the shelf tunes over here don't you? I wonder if Tapp could tune a UK ECU?

Possibility maybe?

biketsai
06-30-2009, 12:03 PM
If you can get a ECU setup from a 2001, M or CH box I can send you a tune.

badseed
06-30-2009, 06:20 PM
Your best bet for a tune is to contact PES Tuning. They sell a kit with that turbo and 440 cc injectors. They sell the tune for that kit for around $700 US

biketsai
06-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Your best bet for a tune is to contact PES Tuning. They sell a kit with that turbo and 440 cc injectors. They sell the tune for that kit for around $700 US

And I have that tune I will sell you for less than $700. Lol

lee goodall
07-01-2009, 05:32 AM
What turbo boost does the PES tune run at?

biketsai - Are you running a T28 setup? If so what have you done with regards to boost control? I assume you are running the PES map?

Seerlah
07-01-2009, 05:38 AM
Hey lee goodall, I was going to say that if you are not going the custom tune route, you could always have your ECU sent out for a tune from a couple companies if you have the 557P ECU (AEB). If I am not mistaken, the t28 runs off the same mapping as GT28R tunes.

lee goodall
07-02-2009, 04:58 AM
Hi Seerlah, I have the older ECU (1996) which most tuners run a mile from.

I was planning on upgrading to an ECU from a later VW Golf (AGU engine) as in the UK I'm told that these are the best to work with for a custom tune. It means swapping my loom to a later A4 (AGU compatible) loom but then it should be good to go.

I presume the US tuners could still put a tune onto the AGU ECU as they would with the AEB ECU?

lee goodall
07-02-2009, 06:26 AM
Oh yeah another issue may be that my car is DBC so may not be compatible with the tune?

Seerlah
07-02-2009, 06:43 AM
There are many DBC tuners. Most tuners are very good at what they do, so you may want to give one of the various tuners a call and inquire. Personally, I would suggest you ask either Unitronics ot Eurodyne (CTapp). The t28 turbo kit from PES runs with GIAC software, but it seems that many say it runs rich. I don't know if that can be cured by dialing the fuel pressure down a bit or not, though (if you use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator). But I would give either give a Unitronics dealer a call and CTapp.

Unitronics (http://www.unitronic.ca/videos.php?id=wHQKKwNQjaA)
Eurodyne (Ctapp) (http://www.eurodyne.ca/)

lee goodall
07-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Thank you Seerlah.

biketsai
07-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Seerlah, actually PES has recently started to tune their own products. They made a split with GIAC a couple years ago for some reason.

lee goodall,I am running a T28. Originally I was running the stock N75 valve that worked fine, but now I am running a manual boost controller at 22psi.

lee goodall
07-03-2009, 03:25 AM
biketsai - What boost were you seeing without the manual controller?.. you manage to get any dyno figures?

Cheers for your input mate.

biketsai
07-03-2009, 09:08 AM
biketsai - What boost were you seeing without the manual controller?.. you manage to get any dyno figures?

Cheers for your input mate.

I was still seeing like 17-18 psi since the file is a 1.3bar file. No dyno pulls yet.

lee goodall
07-03-2009, 10:08 AM
I was still seeing like 17-18 psi since the file is a 1.3bar file. No dyno pulls yet.

You're not getting any trouble codes using the MBC to gain the extra 3 - 4 PSI?

Seerlah
07-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Also, I think the t28 turbo usues the same file as the GT28R file. If that is true, should make it a little easier finding a tune.

biketsai
07-03-2009, 12:42 PM
You're not getting any trouble codes using the MBC to gain the extra 3 - 4 PSI?

Nope, not at all. Although I did have to do the diode mod to fool my map sensor from reaching an overboost mode.

lee goodall
07-06-2009, 05:02 AM
My car doesn't use a map sensor so our setups will be slightly different.

The Unitronics software seems to be what I am looking for. The only issue I have is that the I need to swap my ECU to a flashable DBC version which I have emailed Unitronics about but haven't had a reply yet.

I pressume if I use a flashable ECU from a DBC VW Golf GTI this will be fine but I would like to get a definite answer before commiting to anything.

Seerlah
07-06-2009, 05:08 AM
Unitronics is praised for the versatlity they have and the bite it grants (agressive tunes). If you do happen to be able to use their tune with a flashable ECU, you can always upgrade with them later on for bigger turbo aplications for a smaller fee (maybe $200). Because, we all know how the mod bug bites[drive].

lee goodall
07-06-2009, 05:28 AM
That would be good as this is my third turbo now and no doubt it wont stop there!

I really hope Unitronics can help as from what I've seen they really know their stuff. The spec that they show on the site with 415 injectors and TT 225 MAF housing running at 21 PSI is exactly what I'm looking for so fingers crossed.

nyca4tqm
07-06-2009, 07:05 AM
This is my first post on Audizine so first I'd like to say hi [:)]

My car is a 1996 A4 1.8T (B5 - AEB).

I have recently managed to get hold of a T28 turbo kit which includes everything I need to get up and running except injectors and MAF.

I believe other people on this site are running T28 turbos and was really after some info about their setup.

The main issues at the moment are:-

Which injectors to use?

Which MAF?

What is the best way to control the boost?.. N75 valve? Replacement boost controller etc?

I am upgrading my ECU as I have the earlier model which requires the chip to be removed and programmed etc.. I will be swapping to a later A4 loom and flashable ECU from a later VW Golf.

I will be getting a custom tune/map also.

Cheers.

Find Sienna......he is on your side of the pond...he is well informed and he is on here also.

lee goodall
07-06-2009, 08:17 AM
Yeah I know Sienna cheers mate.

The main issue is finding a tuner.. there is real lack of people with a good knowledge of mapping/software for AEB engines in the UK.

I think I've got the setup fairly sorted and would feel much more confident with a tried and tested tune.

There are a couple of tuners in the UK who could provide me with a custom map but I have had big problems with going down this route before.

bikerjim
04-04-2011, 10:49 AM
How did you get on with this. Im currently building an engine for my audi coupe the same spec. I have the old style ECU also and am looking at a similar turbo upgrade. Any help would be much appreciated. [:D]

biketsai
04-04-2011, 10:56 AM
How did you get on with this. Im currently building an engine for my audi coupe the same spec. I have the old style ECU also and am looking at a similar turbo upgrade. Any help would be much appreciated. [:D]

What year is your car?

Papa_Dios
04-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Ironic that this popped up after I recently found a BB S15 t28 Turbo in my attic (from my Nissan days). I see that they sell a mani and dp for the T2 flanged turbos and was wondering what tune people usually go with and how much power are these putting out. Also is the mani and dp any good quality wise (iirc is a psi concepts kit). I bought this turbo because of the spool characteristics on the SR20 and figure that maybe similar #'s can be seen with the 1.8. Main reason I ask is because it seems like I can piece together this kit for wayyy less than an elim setup.

Shnab
04-04-2011, 12:38 PM
I have a t28, i run a GIAC tune with a manual boost controller. Im happy with the set up. I forgot the size injectors I have ill have to check......when i get the car out of the shop[>_>]

Papa_Dios
04-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Yea let me know. Im interested in this setup.

jettaglx91
04-04-2011, 04:02 PM
I would recommend the United Motorsport setup.

Uses the 3" maf with 630cc injectors which can support about 300hp

Also is available using a Pro-M maf setup with 630cc which will support about 400+

The nice thing is you can do the 3" maf setup and leaves room to expand, so if later you wanna run a bigger turbo you can just switch the maf and since the tune is the same price its just a re-flash no new software charges.

Im currently running this on my stock aeb just to show the quality of this tune for the B5 crowd as UM is more known for VR6 stuff

PM me if you would like more info/details

bikerjim
04-05-2011, 03:29 PM
What year is your car?

Its a 94 coupe

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg171/SFJIM/Car%20Mods/DSC00328.jpg

I am after around 250 HP and a nice progressive torque curve. Dont want to over stress anything or make it undriveable and laggy. Im trying to do it on a budget too. Dont want much eh?! lol [:p]

bmarshall
04-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Have you thought of a full aftermarket tunable ecu like motec, haltech, autronic etc?
I think after you swap the bosch ecu and get software for it you would be around the same ballpark $$$.

dcampana
04-05-2011, 09:54 PM
The other option as a complete kit from 034 for the 7a motor which I believe is in the cq... the kit will get you 250 or 300 depending on what you pick. Its 3k iirc...