PDA

View Full Version : Can I eliminate this .......

fred2ka4
06-28-2009, 11:12 PM
...... check valve without any problems? I wanted to start cleaning up the engine bay a little so I thought I would start with baby steps, although I don't want to step in the wrong direction.

This line went to the APR inlet and I want it gone. The line next to the heat shield is the one I want to get rid of but there is a check valve on it. Can I delete it and plug it, or should I leave the check valve and run a line down under the car or do I need to put it back ......

Cut the accordion part off fo the snorkel as well, I think it looks better.

In this article for the B6 forum it says you can remove the entire Y and let it vent to atmosphere but I don't know if it works the same for the B5 so that is why I am asking.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235106&highlight=smog+pump

Thanks

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/customintake022-1.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/customintake033.jpg

AFTER:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/customintake035.jpg

seeknstrike
06-28-2009, 11:19 PM
I have the same Question, btw, off topic, But where did you get that heatsheild/intake pipe from? Thanks

fred2ka4
06-28-2009, 11:25 PM
I have the same Question, btw, off topic, But where did you get that heatsheild/intake pipe from? Thanks

The shield I got from a forum member here that was selling them in the classified section. I don't remember his name but he has a website now that I will try to find and the intake set-up I made on my own.

ou2mame
06-28-2009, 11:28 PM
....if it ain't broke...

lifwanian
06-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Here's the heatshield link : http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89270

fred2ka4
06-28-2009, 11:31 PM
....if it ain't broke...

If that was the case then we would not have cars like this ....... [:D]

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd314/jlien08/EUROWERKS%2009/IMG_9021.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd314/jlien08/EUROWERKS%2009/IMG_9022.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd314/jlien08/EUROWERKS%2009/IMG_9023.jpg

mike-2ptzero
06-28-2009, 11:55 PM
Rob just needs to do something about that FMIC bracket, it stands out like a huge sore thumb now. Tons of work under the engine bay but yet a 2 minute home depo bracket for the fmic.

fred2ka4
06-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Rob just needs to do something about that FMIC bracket, it stands out like a huge sore thumb now. Tons of work under the engine bay but yet a 2 minute home depo bracket for the fmic.

A flat black paint job would take care of that ....... [;)]

Now quit thread jacking and answer my question ....... [rolleyes] [>_<]

J Ozzie
06-29-2009, 12:22 AM
that upipe... i need that! that would be way better then having the intake at the rear getting nothing!

fred2ka4
06-29-2009, 12:42 AM
that upipe... i need that! that would be way better then having the intake at the rear getting nothing!

eBay or any local muffler shop can provide you with a mandrel bent U for a small price ....... [:D]

Euro-Tuner
06-29-2009, 07:38 AM
nobody wants to answer this huh? I'm just wondering what can be eliminated all together, I am in a shaving mood today....

I removed that hose all the way back to the check valve, but I am on a mafless tune and a couple other things that are probably different from your car so you can't really go by my word, sorry.

somebody5788
06-29-2009, 07:42 AM
I'd so love to do a full emissions removal even if all I have is a 2.8.... I think it would be so much easier to work on and probably much more reliable.

mike-2ptzero
06-29-2009, 07:46 AM
nobody wants to answer this huh? I'm just wondering what can be eliminated all together, I am in a shaving mood today....

I removed that hose all the way back to the check valve, but I am on a mafless tune and a couple other things that are probably different from your car so you can't really go by my word, sorry.

I really couldn't answer it either, most of that stuff on my car is gone but I am running a stand alone.

A4Rob
06-29-2009, 03:04 PM

[>_<][>_<][>_<] [up]

Black paint FTW

Seerlah
06-29-2009, 03:31 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235106

biketsai
06-29-2009, 03:40 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235106

Hmm, how much of that DIY is B5 related? Ive looked through it before and im just still slightly lost

Seerlah
06-29-2009, 03:48 PM
^I was looking over it before myself, and was shown the link by MilitantGrunt. He has an AWM and did that DIY with no issues. No CELs nor anything and passed inspection, but I don't know what is written out on his ECU programming. In NY, they are very strict when it comes to emmission time (NY inspection). Meaning that you must pass all readiness to pass inspection via OBDII port and visual inspection of a catalyctic converter. Not nearly as bad as CA, but not nearly as lenient as other states. He said he passed (don't know if he got the hook up or what, as the only real concern would be the SAI for emissions).

But yeah, if he was able to do it on his AWM, I am sure Fred can do it on his ATW. And if it was proven to be done on the AWM, you should have no issues doing it.

njm23
06-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Militants car is custom tuned. He has no cels due to them all being coded to pass most likely.

Back on topic. I ripped out EVERYTHING from my car.. No issues, although i do have a cel for my SAI last time I checked.. Improper flow or some shit.. Either way, the only thing I have on my car is my pcv system to a catch can.. My EVAP system goes to the purge solenoid, and stops there. I have that hose routed out the fender lining. I have no SAI system..My brake boost is in a direct line to the manifold. You can really rip all that out and have no issues.

My car has no check valves anymore fyi.. There all gone. Although don't expect to pass emissions and what not, unless you have your ecu coded, and hopefully they dont do any strict visual inspections under the hood.

biketsai
06-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Yea so I would need a catch can to begin with? I guess Fred, youve already got that part down.

mike-2ptzero
06-29-2009, 04:04 PM
[>_<][>_<][>_<] [up]

Black paint FTW

What, not going to wrap the bars in CF? [;)]

thenofjboy
06-29-2009, 04:06 PM
ive looked through it several times before even though i have B5 when i wanted to chuck some hoses when i was putting in my catch can.
some, most or whatever u want to call it - the configuration of the hoses & valves is the same but for the B6 there are some newer/different things thrown in there -n112/n249 etc...
I got rid the metal pipe that wraps around my engine when i did the catch can but, i read up on running 2 of them (even though KO4) just so i could eliminate some of this mess but it may not be able to pass NJ emissions by having one can vent to the air IIRC..dont remember for sure. It might have even been this thread that mentions the emissions...

is the charcoal canister anything like the catch can? It just has the hose running behind the passenger front fendor -i wanted to get rid of that & just route it to the catch can.

everyday i look under the hood i think how i can eliminate some of those hoses & check valves etc....

njm23
06-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Yea so I would need a catch can to begin with? I guess Fred, youve already got that part down.

Well, in reality, you can just run a 7/8" (i think thats the size) tube to the ground. Especially if your catch can will not be re-routed into your tip. Because running a catchcan that has no vacuum is the same as just running the tube to the ground. I did this, and if my car idled for like 10-15min I would start to burn oil, put a vacuum back on the crank case and have no issues now.. Many people have done it and did not burn oil like I did, so i don't know what the deal was.. But yea.

thenofjboy
06-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Militants car is custom tuned. He has no cels due to them all being coded to pass most likely.

Back on topic. I ripped out EVERYTHING from my car.. No issues, although i do have a cel for my SAI last time I checked.. Improper flow or some shit.. Either way, the only thing I have on my car is my pcv system to a catch can.. My EVAP system goes to the purge solenoid, and stops there. I have that hose routed out the fender lining. I have no SAI system..My brake boost is in a direct line to the manifold. You can really rip all that out and have no issues.

My car has no check valves anymore fyi.. There all gone. Although don't expect to pass emissions and what not, unless you have your ecu coded, and hopefully they dont do any strict visual inspections under the hood.

when do you have to get inspected? got any pics of what you described above..

njm23
06-29-2009, 04:08 PM
is the charcoal canister anything like the catch can? It just has the hose running behind the passenger front fendor -i wanted to get rid of that & just route it to the catch can.

everyday i look under the hood i think how i can eliminate some of those hoses & check valves etc....

You have the complete wrong idea.. Charcoal canister is your EVAP, is isnt even under your hood. And no don't touch your charcoal canister unless you have some good ideas and know how to make everything work at the same time. A catch can is something aftermarket on our cars, it is for our PCV system to keep oil out of our intake..

EDIT: let me know what pic you would like to see.. My inspection is for 2010, and by that time I will have my ECU re-coded to pass everything, therefor I can only fail a VISUAL, and in that case just go to a shop and tell them. 95% of shops have no problem passing you if you have no CEL and no tint. A cop isnt gunna see that your car has no sai/pcv/evap system while your driving haha, so no danger to the shop..

thenofjboy
06-29-2009, 04:24 PM
i know the EVAP / charcoal canister is not under the hood - & i have no intentions of doing anything to it as i was just asking about it...thanks

with recoding - how does that work & what about price?

njm23
06-29-2009, 04:39 PM
i know the EVAP / charcoal canister is not under the hood - & i have no intentions of doing anything to it as i was just asking about it...thanks

with recoding - how does that work & what about price?

Oo alright. Well either way, that line your talking about that the purge solenoid is connected to. You can rip everything DIRECTLY after the solenoid out and just run the line to the ground (with the purge solenoid still there and functioning)

Is your ECU flashed? If so, contact the company and see what they can do. I know "kompressed"(sp?) on here can code stock ECU's for a small fee, I think he asks like $50 or something. But if it is flashed there is an encryption protecting the software, therefor only the company who flashed the ecu can do it pretty much and still retain your flash.

fred2ka4
06-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Well so far I drove the car to and from work with no issues. I just wanted to know if I should remove the check valve and let it vent to the atmosphere, or plug it. I was told that it is for venting the gas tank but I am not 100% sure.

Also if I just leave the check valve there will it still work when pressure builds up and needs to be released or does it require vacuum?

P.S. - Thanks for all of the help and suggestions ........ [up]

Seerlah
06-29-2009, 07:37 PM
That valve before the check valve is the purge evap valve and it is used to vent gas fumes(the one electronically plugged in). In the link I posted, that guy removed both lines coming from the purge evap valve and has it vent into the atmosphere. If he removed both of them, I am pretty sure removing just one (the one you want) will not cause any harm.

njm23
06-29-2009, 07:45 PM
That valve before the check valve is the purge evap valve and it is used to vent gas fumes(the one electronically plugged in).

To carry on with your question of what you should do with it.. Get rid of the check valve, and that "y" split and just vent it,i stuck mine through the fender liner to come out by my wheel. You can also rip out the hard line that runs on the "false" firewall if you have not already.

Militant-Grunt
06-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Hmm, how much of that DIY is B5 related? Ive looked through it before and im just still slightly lost

90% of it is the same, if you complete it, you can have Greg remove the codes for the items you remove (Might as well since you're getting the tune). Its 40lbs worth of shit out of your car.

Militant-Grunt
06-29-2009, 07:57 PM

Yup yup [:D] NYS Emissions are pretty stringent, have no issues whatsoever.

All that Evap none sense is gone from my car, its much nicer not to have all that stuff, changing the coolant temp sensor, or reaching any remote area behind the motor is very easy. That and you greatly reduce the chance that you will have a boost leak that is difficult to track down.

If you're going to go through it Fred, I suggest you get yourself plenty of vacuum hose, different sized vacuum caps, as well as 1/2'' sized hose for the brake vacuum booster line. Also, if you would like to remove the EGR valve, you will have to get the block off plate from integrated engineering.

The only issue you will have is Evap incorrect flow codes. You will also need a resistor for the SAI pump.

fred2ka4
06-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Baby steps! ................. [:D]

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/customintake036.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/customintake037.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/customintake040.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/customintake038.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/customintake039.jpg

I deleted the line that ran from the purge valve along the fire wall and to the intake manifold under the throttle body. It had a plastic holder that mounted on the corner of the coolant tank and in the fourth picture there are two lines that go into the drivers side fender in between the ABS module and the strut tower - These are next.

It had a "Y" under the intake manifold that ran under the intake, in front of my OCC and then to one of the lines mentioned above and it was the one that mounted to the bracket that was under the coolant tank. In the B6 write up it mentions that the two lines run into a tank that is inside the drivers side fender and I just wanted to verify that it was ok to eliminate these two lines.

Thanks, and more baby steps will be posted later as I have a few ideas of my own ......... [;)] [>_<] ........... I started the car and let it run for a little while. Is the smell of fuel and oil vapor one of the trade off's for deleting all of the vacuum lines? It's not that bad but I can definitely tell it's there. My wife walked by and said, "what are you doing now and what is that smell ..... is your car still broke?!?!"

I responded by telling her that was the smell of progress, and that in California it would be broke, in NM it's just right.

[>_<] [>_<]

njm23
06-30-2009, 05:13 AM
Nice! I am sure you already know what those 2 lines are, but those are 2 I opted to keep in for me. They are for the leak detection pump I am 99% sure, although one may be your cruise control. Get rid of that cluster of shit that comes off your brake booster! Also, if you can remove those 2 lines let me know, since well I have just been to lazy to find out for myself.

fred2ka4
06-30-2009, 11:33 PM
They go to a kidney shaped tank that is in the drivers side fender and from what I have read it is just a reserve tank. Mike has deleted it and Rob has deleted it as well and just tucked the lines out of the way. Mike and Rob have both had their fenders off for different projects and do not run the tank anymore so it should not be a problem to remove or disconnect the tank itself or anything that runs to it. The B6 write up also referred to this item as removable.

Believe it or not my car actually seems to run a little smoother and starts a little better as well, which tells me one of two things. I had a small boost leak I did not know about, and that removing the extra items did not effect the car at all. Fortunately we do not have smog testing here in Las Cruces NM ....... [:D]