PDA

View Full Version : Car doesn't start after engine rebuild [Race Event in 5 Days]

Aliel
06-28-2009, 05:29 AM
Guys for the past year the car hasn't been running at all. The clutch bearing went and my mechanic pulled the engine for a stock rebuild with scat rods. Well everything is done and the timing is spot on. We have checked everything. The car starts without the camshaft sensor or if we put it backwards 180 deg. but if it is installed correctly it doesn't start. It also throws a code about the camshaft sensor something like short to ground or something like this. Well tried to install another sensor and the same things happens. Same with a third one.

Two codes that it throw are the camshaft sensor one short to ground
and one about a throttle sensor i think it was short to ground also.

I run out of ideas and the only thing I could think of as of now is I haven't installed one of the ground wires correctly but then again if I disconnect the sensor the car starts so it means the sensor couldn't have a short and send a signal at the same time.

I have a drag event in 5 days that I registered for and I can't miss it. But I need to break in the engine during this period also so I have to drive 500 miles change oil drive another 500 and another oil change so I need to finish the car tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for anybody that can help.

fatjohnperf
06-28-2009, 07:39 AM
How are you doing today? I would suggest since you said it throws a short code for the cam and tps sensors, try checking the wires going to both for a short, break, or a pinch. It may have something to do with that since the car starts with the cam sensor disconnected. Let me know how you make out.

mike-2ptzero
06-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Every single time I have seen "short to ground" it has been a blown fuse. Check your fuses while the car is running to see if you can find one that is blown.

Aliel
06-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to start working in the morning in a couple of hours. I'll try whatever you guys said but it would be nice to get some more suggestions just in case and because when I will be working it will be bed time over your side of the ocean. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Mawhitey
06-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Is the slotted cup thing in the correct position? Or maybe been changed for the wrong type during the build? Different engine ages have a different slot arrangement, i fell pray to that when i put the turbo engine in my car

Aliel
06-29-2009, 12:22 AM
the same. the head was never touched nor its sensors.

prodrive
06-29-2009, 01:04 AM
the same. the head was never touched nor its sensors.

Hi bro...I guess, you are on stock engine management right..Any possibility that you have installed the cam sensor's window pattern wrong ? Can you give us details about your engine ..engine code , 1 window cam sensor or multiple etc.

Aliel
06-29-2009, 01:12 AM
yeah still stock. its an AEB engine. I don't know what a window pattern is but I don't think we touched anything. could you give me some more info on the window pattern though so I can double check it? Thank you.

prodrive
06-29-2009, 05:22 AM
yeah still stock. its an AEB engine. I don't know what a window pattern is but I don't think we touched anything. could you give me some more info on the window pattern though so I can double check it? Thank you.

If you have the AEB engine, you should have one-window pattern. I couldn't find the picture of one-window cam pattern on the net but multi-window. At least you can compare which one you have ;

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/716/audicamtriggertdc1.jpg

I can find more info when I get back home ...

Bic-Ball
06-29-2009, 05:41 AM
heres mine
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_emFcvo01FxU/SNPItZNrgoI/AAAAAAAABDo/W0Qedr8PuKM/s512/IMG_0609.JPG

AMC
06-29-2009, 07:29 AM
hey aliel u ever check your pms lol i was in tirane a couple weeks ago pm me ur number or something man ill be in tirane in july. anyways goodluck getting it started

Aliel
06-29-2009, 11:43 AM
hey aliel u ever check your pms lol i was in tirane a couple weeks ago pm me ur number or something man ill be in tirane in july. anyways goodluck getting it started

hey sorry bro I accidentally deleted all my pms and totally slipped my mind. I'll PM right now. Hopefully you can see the car running.

Aliel
06-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Ok I have the one window pattern one.

Today I tried all the fuses, all the wires and nothing. Now it doesn't even start without the sensor either. Hopefully its just flooded.

The other code was Throttle control valve: mulfunction

Thanks for all your help

Aliel
06-29-2009, 11:31 PM
bump

Aliel
06-30-2009, 04:31 PM
bump

andyrew
06-30-2009, 04:55 PM
Bump for you man, no clue.

Aliel
07-01-2009, 09:14 AM
stuck in the same situation :(

mike-2ptzero
07-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Throttle issue might be causing it not to start.

donraja84
07-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Take it to the dealership :O

bikerbob951
07-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Bumpity, good luck man, that sucks.

Aliel
07-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Throttle issue might be causing it not to start.

Do I need to buy another throttle body or is the sensor removable?

Panya
04-13-2010, 07:32 AM
Was the issue ever fixed? Can you share the solution because I have a similar problem.