PDA

View Full Version : wheeel bearings

stickybandits
06-26-2009, 04:00 PM
pretty new to audis i have a 98 santorin blue 1.8t a4 quattro manual sport package no modifications and i am pretty sure one of my wheel bearings is going in the back but when i do the slalom test to see which side it is on it doesnt show me any results as in left or right. It is a humming noise that occurs above above 40 mph and gets fainter at 60 and above. i want to fix it soon because i am about to go on a trip so before i spend some money could this be somethin else besides a bearing? is it worth to fix my self?

J Ozzie
06-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Oh man we just had this thread go not 2 long ago.. did you use the search? Damm

Ne ways go out get up to the speed where you hear it the most, corner to the right its your left barring corner to the left its your right barring.. the sound will go away on one of the turns.. keep in mind to do this in a safe place as you have to turn slightly at high speed.. if you crash I'm not liable and its your own fault!

Let me know how it works out..

for the barring order it from www.autopartsway.com trust me youll like the price!

stickybandits
06-26-2009, 04:18 PM
i used the search before thats how i found the slalom method out and believe me any stretch of road i get i test it out but its not givin me any results i test it everytime i drive i just havent had the time to take off the wheel and inspect it. maybe differential or something?

good looks on that site cheapest ive seen

J Ozzie
06-26-2009, 04:40 PM
i used the search before thats how i found the slalom method out and believe me any stretch of road i get i test it out but its not givin me any results i test it everytime i drive i just havent had the time to take off the wheel and inspect it. maybe differential or something?

good looks on that site cheapest ive seen

what sounds are you getting? Possible leaking diff? bad seal?

stickybandits
06-26-2009, 05:37 PM
it is not leaking anything from rear dif i know that i just looked at it but it is a like a humming sound between 40 and 60.

flynnr
06-26-2009, 06:18 PM
could be wheel needs balancing?

jrock
06-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Got a rear wheel bearing I need to get rid of just sittin on the shelf. PM me if you need one

Mouse4
02-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Did you ever figure out what the noise was. I have the same dam issue and can't figure it out.

jcb.
02-01-2010, 08:05 AM
jack you rear up and give the wheels a good spin, wiggle.
bearings pretty much always show themselves when the car is off and jacked up

Mouse4
02-01-2010, 10:51 AM
I replaced all 4 wheel bearings 2 weeks ago. I don't think it is wheel bearings.

Mouse4
02-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Update:

I found the solution to my problem.

I've found the noise was associated to the tires. There was some cupping and uneven tire wear. This uneven ware hitting the surface of the road caused the humming/grinding, or knobby noise as I refer to it.
The other contributing factor was the tire pressure was well below what is should have been.
I recently purchased the rims with the tires on them and I didn't bother to check the pressure. WRONG! Having 20psi of pressure in high performance tires, will make a knobby or humming noise too.

It's nice to be quiet once again.

jpcallmotor
02-02-2010, 10:13 PM
[up]

Adding a few PSI to the tires is alot easier and cheaper than doing a wheel bearing?