PDA

View Full Version : air conditioner leak? (with video)

spider
06-26-2009, 09:37 AM
after I shut off the engine I hear this noise coming somewhere around the area I captured in the video. This only happens if I turn on the a/c. you will also see some serious condensation in the line. the a/c works fine and I get cold air.

http://img190.imageshack.us/i/video043.mp4/

VinceDprincE
06-26-2009, 10:02 AM
i'm also getting condensation on the a/c lines that drips to the ground from under the engine bay but i don't hear any noise.

fr3nz33
06-26-2009, 10:31 AM
there are o-rings right in between the ac lines in the false/secondary firewall.

replace those and you'll be set most likely

spider
06-26-2009, 10:43 AM
there are o-rings right in between the ac lines in the false/secondary firewall.

replace those and you'll be set most likely

seems line the noise is coming from somewhere underneath. initially I was thinking it was leaking from the service port. but after getting close and listening carefully, seems like somewhere under the battery.

seeknstrike
06-26-2009, 11:28 AM
im getting the same noise.

spider
06-26-2009, 03:14 PM
this hissing noise lasts about 15-20 seconds and goes away. There's probably some leak somewhere.

not sure if this is similar to this thread here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4187875

techguy512
06-26-2009, 06:09 PM
this hissing noise lasts about 15-20 seconds and goes away. There's probably some leak somewhere.

It not likely to be a leak. If it were a leak large enough to hear, all your refrigerant would be gone and your A/C wouldn't work. It's probably just the pressure equalizing across the orifice tube between the high pressure and low pressure sides of the system.

Condensation on the low pressure (cold) side is pretty normal.

Rgds,
Bob
(EPA 609 Certified)

AWD Mike
06-26-2009, 08:45 PM
My AC has worked flawlessly for a long time and whenever you turn the car off it hisses for a few seconds.

This is completely normal.

As far as your video goes, maybe it's my computer speakers, but all I really heard was you moving the camera around.

quattro16
06-26-2009, 09:15 PM
The noise is coming from the FOT Fixed orfice tube or restrictor which is right in the connection by the firewall. Google it and it will explain it. This is normal and every Audi does it.

VinceDprincE
06-27-2009, 01:26 AM
My AC has worked flawlessly for a long time and whenever you turn the car off it hisses for a few seconds.

This is completely normal.

thank you sir [up]

i was wondering what that was... just noticed that sound recently

fifer
08-03-2009, 05:01 PM
hi newbie here
i have the same problem with my 99 a4 1.8 (hissing and water leaking)
had a 150 mile drive today and when stopped between 1 and 2 litres of water had leaked to the ground any help would be much appreciated.

walky_talky20
08-03-2009, 10:54 PM
As the A/C system cools the air it is also removing the moisture from the air. This is why running the A/C helps to unfog your windows and makes it feel nice and cool on hot and humid day. That water has to go somewhere, so there is a tube to drain it onto the ground. This is normal and nothing to worry about. In fact, you should be worried if your A/C doesn't make a puddle of water under your car.[:)] Like mine...which is broken.

fifer
08-04-2009, 05:14 AM
thanks for that, does the a/c not release the water until the engine has stopped and also the longer the drive the more water leaks out, theres never been that much water leaking out before.

.Mad Hatter.
08-04-2009, 05:57 AM
mine has done it since i bought the car (2.5 years) and the AC has always blown cold, im used to it now.

.Mad Hatter.
08-04-2009, 05:58 AM
In fact, you should be worried if your A/C doesn't make a puddle of water under your car.[:)] Like mine...which is broken.

[:D]

this made me laugh, but i agree.

fifer
08-04-2009, 04:10 PM
yeah it does sound a bit crazy but then again its an audi, if they were perfect everyone would have one.