PDA

View Full Version : Caliper Piston Tool Question [Edit: w/another added]

Seerlah
06-25-2009, 12:57 PM
I am replacing my brakes and rotors, and ran into a complication. This is the first time for me installing them, so bear with me. I finished the fronts successfully and the rears are giving me issues. I used the piston tool to compress the piston, but how do I get it off? Did I maybe compress it too much. I tried to unscrew it, but that is not happening. Either I am not placing enough force, or it is not designed to do that. Either way, how do I get the tool off the rear caliper after having the piston compressed? Thanks!

P.S. Or maybe I'm just an idiot. If that is the case, help would still be appreciated[cool]

New Question: As per post #4, how do I properly break in new pads and rotors? Thanks!

Seerlah
06-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Nvmd. Called up my mechanic and he told me how to get it off [wrench]

dcampana
06-25-2009, 01:18 PM
do you have any pics Seerlah? I did mine and did not have an issue in the rear...

Pics might be able to help us help you:)

Seerlah
06-25-2009, 02:42 PM
I was able to get it off. Thanks though. I did not know you had to use an adjustable wrench on the middle section that spirals on the threaded rod to release it. Anyways, job completed and now I need to place th tires back on. The conical bolts are f*cking annoying. Now I know why people switch over to the wheel stud kit.

New Quesion: How do you properly break in new pads and rotors. Do I do a couple 35mph moderate stops accompanied by 2-3 45mph hard stops? Thanks!

J Ozzie
06-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Look on Hawk pads website they tell you how. I have gotten my stock rotors so hot that they now have a blue ish tint tho them.

Seerlah
06-25-2009, 03:40 PM
I took this off their website:

-After installing new brake pads, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.
-Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph.
-DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
-Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.

What do they mean by 'DO NOT DRAG BRAKES'?

dcampana
06-25-2009, 03:55 PM
means do not hold foot on the brake pedal which causes the pads to drag on the rotors..

Seerlah
06-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks. One more question though. I have Motul 5.1 fluid as I am also planning on doing a brake fluid flush (need/want to order Motive bleeder first). While compressing the piston, the brake fluid had risen and I placed it in an extractor. After I depress the brake pedal again, it is supposed to lower back down. Should I mix some of the Motul fluid I have or place the old fluid back, to get it back to level? Also, should I leave the cap off the resevoir when I depress the pedal?

Seerlah
06-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Bump. Pardon the annoying bump, but trying to get this done[drive]

gsverz
06-25-2009, 05:29 PM
read this (http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel139.shtml)

Seerlah
06-25-2009, 05:41 PM
I actually used that write up with the link attached to install my pads and rotors. Will be using the same DIY to bleed my system[up]. It's ok though. The fluid is right at the fill max line, so no worries. I was just surprised when I took my car off the jacks; learn something new everytime[:p]. Brakes feel firm, e-brake at proper level and about to go and break in the new brakes[drive]