PDA

View Full Version : Car not starting. What to check for?

kelticslob
06-25-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi guys and girls. I tried starting my car the other day and no dice. Its not a dead battery because I tried boosting the car and that did nothing. All the electronics (windows, stereo, AC) still work fine, but when I turn the key the starter motor doesn't even go *click click click*. Literally nothing happens. What possible problems could I have here? It had just gone through a 500km journey the previous day.

J Ozzie
06-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Starter?

dwi_gti
06-25-2009, 11:00 AM
with a dead battery interior lights and so on can still work but when it comes to cranking it doesnt have the power and just get click click click, if you tryed jumping it and that didnt work next step is buying a new starter. sounds like there is no easy quick fix (what most people look for on here) get dirty and change the starter

dcampana
06-25-2009, 11:17 AM
check the fuses too. could be that "simple" but more than likely its the starter solenoid..

take it out, take to autozone or a place like that and have it tested. not too hard to take out...

markcm
06-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Exact thing happened to me, it turned out the ground strap between the engine and the chassis was loose. My engine was a fresh install at the time and this cable didn't get tightened on the engine side. On my 2.8L the cable is located right down between/above the starter and the alternator.

maxspeed
06-25-2009, 12:43 PM
may have fouled your plugs

markcm
06-25-2009, 01:34 PM
may have fouled your plugs

He said it won't turn over, that wouldn't be plugs or plug wires.

Also check the ground cable from your battery to the body, make sure it's clean and tight as well as the connections directly to the starter, they must also be tight.

Removing the starter in a 2.8 is not fun, if you feel safe doing so (at your own risk here) the tap test is way quicker to identify a bad soleniod. The soleniod will typically to the click-click on it's way out as well; my test is to secure the vehicle in park or neutral, get under there, have some one turn the key and pound on the starter assembly with the butt end of a hammer (the wood handle, anything similar). If it turns over wtih a bump you know it's almost definatly the soleniod. In my case this almost worked but not consistently because the loose engine to chassis ground strap was right in that same area and when I would accidentally bump that the car would crank.

maxspeed
06-25-2009, 02:20 PM
He said it won't turn over, that wouldn't be plugs or plug wires.

Also check the ground cable from your battery to the body, make sure it's clean and tight as well as the connections directly to the starter, they must also be tight.

Removing the starter in a 2.8 is not fun, if you feel safe doing so (at your own risk here) the tap test is way quicker to identify a bad soleniod. The soleniod will typically to the click-click on it's way out as well; my test is to secure the vehicle in park or neutral, get under there, have some one turn the key and pound on the starter assembly with the butt end of a hammer (the wood handle, anything similar). If it turns over wtih a bump you know it's almost definatly the soleniod. In my case this almost worked but not consistently because the loose engine to chassis ground strap was right in that same area and when I would accidentally bump that the car would crank.

happened to me this winter after running rediculously right at idle.... car wouldnt even make a sound when i turned the key, took the plugs out and cleaned them off and it started right up