PDA

View Full Version : Help, my car vibrates like crazy!

joeya103
06-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Hey guys,

Lately, my car has had this horrible shaking/vibrating when traveling at pretty much any speed. As background info, I know my rear shocks are shot, but that's not causing this. My shocks were shot for a while, and going over bumps would make it bouncy...but it's only very recently that I've been getting a constant, loud vibrating when driving straight or curving to the left. It settles down and travels smoothly when I curve/turn to the right, leading me to think maybe a wheel or two are damaged on my right side.

Is there any way to check this without paying for a pricey estimate, or could it be caused by something else? (Money is tight for me these days, like a lot of other people.)

Please chime in with your best guesses or thoughts. AZ usually gets it right. [:D]

fazda
06-25-2009, 10:14 AM
check your rims for cracks buldges in tires? definetly sound like your wheels need to be balanced. how are your tie rods? they can cause a slight shake when braking and driving if they are worn out. if it settles down when you turn it sounds like a wheel bearing, but i didn't think wheel bearings caused you to shake, hope this helps..

good luck.

joeya103
06-25-2009, 12:14 PM
If it could be just a wheel balance issue, that would be great. Either way, I'll get it checked out soon from a reputable wheel shop. At least it's not a bigger (more expensive) problem...I hope.

Dynamite
06-25-2009, 03:40 PM
1st check you wheels, see if one or more of them have had the alignment weights fall off them. also have a good check of all your tires, a mate of mine had an issue similar after he spun out at about 80, one of the front tires had a bulge in it, i think part of the inside of the tire must have been damaged some how. you could hardly see it from the outside though, so run your hand over the tires. then take it to a good wheel shop as said above. if it is either of them then you will have to get a new alignment anyway.

allspooledup
06-25-2009, 05:01 PM
My cars was doing the same, I had the wheels balanced and aligned and now it is dead smooth. You can also try rotating your wheels to see if the vibration follows a certain wheel. If and when you get them balanced and aligned make sure the shop has a hunter road force machine.

00a4
06-25-2009, 05:17 PM
is it all yours wheels? if so the above sounds right. If not, check your bearings