PDA

View Full Version : S4 shocks and springs on A4 (need a fast and definate answer please)

ProSkierNJ
06-22-2009, 06:34 PM
I have a 98.5 A4 1.8T Quatro. Can I replace Shocks (red shocks) and springs from my sport suspension with the stock sport shocks and springs from a b5 S4?

as4driver
06-22-2009, 06:38 PM
You can use the shocks from the s4 but i would not use the springs. It will most likely raise your car.

ProSkierNJ
06-22-2009, 06:47 PM
will just the shocks raise my car? Can i use my current springs with the shocks from the S4? What will the result be if i do?

GR-RALLYE
06-22-2009, 06:52 PM
theyre interchangeable but the problem with the s4 springs is they are stiffer upfront to compensate for the heavier engine so your front will probably sit a bit higher than before

if you use your springs with the s4 shocks it should sit the same as before but with better shocks

somebody5788
06-22-2009, 06:53 PM
You can swap both... But the shocks are not enough different and springs would make the front sit higher. Just save up for Bilstein shocks and some race springs.

ProSkierNJ
06-22-2009, 07:16 PM
i really don't want to spend any more money then i have to (going back to school full time is really hurting the wallet). I recently crashed and have pretty much replaced every body panel on the car and lots of other things too for under $600. Car has 168k mi (rebuilt top end at 90K). As far as i know shocks have never been replaced. I figured since the shocks/springs from the S4 are the right price and if they will work and improve my ride without raising the height of the car in the front or the rear i would just do that. So i guess my question is should i buy them and just use front and rear shocks from the s4 with my stock springs?

nyca4tqm
06-22-2009, 07:27 PM
i really don't want to spend any more money then i have to (going back to school full time is really hurting the wallet). I recently crashed and have pretty much replaced every body panel on the car and lots of other things too for under $600. Car has 168k mi (rebuilt top end at 90K). As far as i know shocks have never been replaced. I figured since the shocks/springs from the S4 are the right price and if they will work and improve my ride without raising the height of the car in the front or the rear i would just do that. So i guess my question is should i buy them and just use front and rear shocks from the s4 with my stock springs?

I have a set of shocks if you want for a small fee..:)They have 50k miles on them.

ProSkierNJ
06-22-2009, 07:35 PM
which shocks are they and how much? i have a set of the stock regular shocks/springs with less mi on it that i could put on my car if i had to. I just would like to try to avoid those since my dad's A4 (before i totaled it less then 24 hr and 500ft away from where crashed mine) had the regular suspension on it and my car handled much better and sat lower.

Teej2008
06-22-2009, 07:51 PM
which shocks are they and how much? i have a set of the stock regular shocks/springs with less mi on it that i could put on my car if i had to. I just would like to try to avoid those since my dad's A4 (before i totaled it less then 24 hr and 500ft away from where crashed mine) had the regular suspension on it and my car handled much better and sat lower.

50k is too many miles on shocks, especially since you are supposed to get most shocks replaced every 40k-55k miles.. If you buy nyca4tqm's shocks, you better get them for almost free and plan on buying new ones asap.

buy some sports springs from the classifieds and if you can get some S4 shocks with lesser miles go for it.

I just went through the S4 springs and OEM non sports shocks nightmare before I finally went with the 02 sports springs and S4 shocks I have on there now.

I got my S4 shocks for $130 shipped w/25k on them. A lot better than $480+ on Bilsteins as I was also on a strict budget. Got my springs for for about $80 shipped. [up] Deals can be had, but you need to show patience. I found both of my components in the Audizine classifieds.

onemoremile
06-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Bilsteins are worth the extra loot.

Stock S4 or A4 shocks could last 40k or 120k. There is no way to tell. They do get progressively softer as they age.

Teej2008
06-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Bilsteins are worth the extra loot.

Stock S4 or A4 shocks could last 40k or 120k. There is no way to tell. They do get progressively softer as they age.

Of course there's a way to tell if your shocks are blown... but I doubt any shock will last 120k unless granny and grandpa is driving to and from their destination in North or South Dakota. [cool]

Bilsteins are gonna be great once I buy them, but even for people on a strict budget, finding a good set of used sports shocks is better than riding around on non sports shocks with sports springs. I think we can all agree to that.

ProSkierNJ
06-22-2009, 08:01 PM
forgive my stupidity with suspension stuff... so the S4 sport shocks with A4 sport springs will handle better then A4 sport shocks/springs?

onemoremile
06-22-2009, 08:02 PM
I've had a few different sets of A4 and S4 struts with stock springs for winter use. They work just fine. I've even tracked them a few times. I paid 100 shipped for springs and struts once and about 60 shipped the other time. This was 3 or 4 years ago too.

Teej2008
06-22-2009, 08:21 PM
forgive my stupidity with suspension stuff... so the S4 sport shocks with A4 sport springs will handle better then A4 sport shocks/springs?

Some of the experts (which I am not) should be able to answer that for you but from what I understand, there is very little difference if any difference at all between the sports shocks and S4 shocks since they are both by trade... "sport shocks".

The difference is your springs... S4 springs are made for a heavier vehicle (4.2 turbo) while regular A4 springs are not (1.8 or 3.0).

here.. while the difference is not MAJOR from these photos, the first photo is with S4 springs on non sports shocks. The second photo is S4 shocks on 02 sports springs the day of install..before any settling could take place.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/Teej2005/Audi/VMR_1.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/Teej2005/Audi/DSCN4513.jpg

Because of the angle of the photos, the difference you see is not major.. Also notice however that it is not slammed either. If you want something lower, than some aftermarket sports springs is what you would want.. I think people say the H&R sports are pretty low.. Anyway, this is on 18" VMRs.

biketsai
06-22-2009, 08:31 PM
We can easily find B5 A4/S4 shocks with 50k> all day!

ProSkierNJ
06-22-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm pretty much just looking for something as good the sport shocks/springs on my 98 1.8t. i don't need and or want it slammed to the ground or anything like that.

onemoremile
06-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Mine felt the same and there was no ride height difference. The B6 might be different.