PDA

View Full Version : ko4 potential with no power

lawnferie
06-21-2009, 07:55 AM
okay just got my 2nd b5 on the 11th and this time its the real deal. 5speed quattro, FMIC, ko4 pc-16, injectors, exhaust, yea w.e

problem is, im only boosting 14psi max spike. any ideas? i know i should be more around 20+ with the ko4...

just regreased the DV yesterday and i have the weakest spring for forge so i know ill be needing to upgrade that, but that only holds the pressure and im not even getting up there in the first place.
Obviously I have to check for leaks because im guessing boost leak somewhere...

CEL throwing two codes.
EVAP system leak (been told doesnt hurt performance though)
throttle sensor signal too high intermittent (or something like that)

the only other thing i've noticed which is random on and off is my car will jerk like its cutting out or something. getting into the higher rpm's *after like 4k* the car will do it randomly not all the time.

tell me where to look!!!

Seerlah
06-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Boost leak test. I also might have an extra yellow spring I can let you have, if you need it (pay for shipping). I will go and check my little box of goodies[cool].

h4robkr123
06-21-2009, 08:05 AM
I definitely have the yellow spring if seerlah does not. I'll give you it if you just pay for shipping.

lawnferie
06-21-2009, 08:10 AM
lol thanks guys ill let you know. but my problem right now is getting UP TO at least ~20psi first hahaha ill worry about holding it once i can at least spike there

Seerlah
06-21-2009, 08:20 AM
The cutting out was maybe just the surging you experienced with the improper sping setting. And you should do a boost leak test asap. Then I would leave the rest of my conjectures in either the wastegate or n75 valve.

lawnferie
06-21-2009, 08:50 AM
test will be done later today after work probably around 4ish ill see what happens...

AudiRacerS4
06-21-2009, 12:28 PM
what k04 file do you have? the normal giac k04 file will spike around 16 and hold 15-14psi while the PC-16 will spike around 19 and hold 16-17psi. the cutting out problem can be a faulty throttle body which seems like that second code

lawnferie
06-21-2009, 06:37 PM
throttle body is supposedly new lol and its pc16 from last receipt i saw...

lawnferie
06-22-2009, 08:35 AM
wow. no where on any DIY leak tests does it say to open ur engine oil cap. oh boy. pressurized system for maybe 15sec, heard the damn oil and shut it off. wtf!!! ugh that wasnt good. any chance i could have fuked my turbo from that? i know th pressure went into the oil lines/pan but could it have affected my turbo? cuz last night i only got 1psi in all gears, nothing.

BUT all the pressure came out of the dipstick so there's no pressure in the engine, so why did i hearing oil? i followed the steps exact from a4mods.com plugged pcv and all and idk what else there is to do...
http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page=webcontent/pages/boostleak.html&category=5

either limp, leak from loose clamp somewhere, or else...

im thinking smoke test from a shop next...

thenofjboy
06-22-2009, 11:25 AM
if you plugged the hole for the "puck valve" on the TIP, you should not hear the oil gurgling. this is what i didnt do the 1st time when i did a pressure test...

you could also try to use soap & water to try to find a leak before you go to a shop for the smoke test.

PoormansA4
06-22-2009, 12:07 PM
a wine bottle cork fits pretty good in that puck spot, I made that same mistake a whille back and my shit blew out black smoke when i started it up

B5A4Kevin
06-22-2009, 12:28 PM
start it at idle and listen for hissing noises from around the intake manifold and head. a stethescope helps, but if you dont have access to one, just take some extra vacuum hose (clean), stick one end in your ear, and use the other end to probe for noises.

lawnferie
06-23-2009, 08:02 PM
NO LEAKS. tested every fuking thing. even used starter fluid all over. its tight everywhere.

and i did plug the PCV and still heard oil....BUT didnt have ANY smoke after startup......hmmmm

tested DV again too.

narrowed it down to PCV, n75, wastegate, or turbo itself.
lets hope its not the last one....

aaaudiprotein
06-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Adam... its not your turbo, im 99% sure!!!
What software are u on???

aaaudiprotein
06-23-2009, 09:39 PM
O, found, you got GIAC PC16FILE like it has been said... it holds at 14-15 psi!!!!

PoormansA4
06-23-2009, 09:40 PM
when you heard the oil is it really loud, or you have to listen for it, could be all kinda oil stuck in your IC? IDK, check your wastegate (I always disconnect the part from the n75 and attach air and see how much do I have to pressurize it till I hear it open). dont remember how to check your n75 but I think you need to hook up a multimeter or some shit like that (might be wrong). if anything pick up a MBC for like $6 or make one and try that. if none of those come up with anything then maybe turbo? have you checked for shaft play and such? don't know anything abou pcv really so ya someone else can chime in on that

PoormansA4
06-23-2009, 09:42 PM
O, found, you got GIAC PC16FILE like it has been said... it holds at 14-15 psi!!!!

wow saw this after I typed mine up lol...

lawnferie
06-23-2009, 10:17 PM
PC-16 - 1997-1999.5 model years~usually runs in the 20-25psi range

taken directly from here:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113728

lawnferie
06-23-2009, 10:19 PM
when you heard the oil is it really loud, or you have to listen for it, could be all kinda oil stuck in your IC?

IDK, check your wastegate (I always disconnect the part from the n75 and attach air and see how much do I have to pressurize it till I hear it open). dont remember how to check your n75 but I think you need to hook up a multimeter or some shit like that (might be wrong).

oil in my FMIC? how da fuck can i check that? gotta take it all out?

im checking wastegate tomorrow. we see what happens.

KBB5
06-23-2009, 10:26 PM
When I did a Boost Leak test at 15 psi, I heard oil bubbling too and had puck valve sealed? It sounded Like the oil was coming from crankcase not IC but will check again? Is it possible for oil to be in IC?

PoormansA4
06-23-2009, 10:48 PM
the way the pcv system works you should have some oil in there, can be built up after a long time I suppose, just pull your side mount out and take your MAP sensor out and just clean it out, anyways I highly doubt that could be it though, not to sure what the bubbling could be, when you did the boost test how much psi did you run? and did the psi yo were putting in and the psi on your boost gauge match up?

thenofjboy
06-24-2009, 09:46 AM
NO LEAKS. tested every fuking thing. even used starter fluid all over. its tight everywhere.

and i did plug the PCV and still heard oil....BUT didnt have ANY smoke after startup......hmmmm

tested DV again too.

narrowed it down to PCV, n75, wastegate, or turbo itself.
lets hope its not the last one....

you need a multimetter to test the N75 as another member said & you need to test the Ohms IIRC

you could try to remove the hose from the N75 to the WG & see what you boost too but DO NOT go WOT, just test to see if you boost more than what you are now. If you do, the N75 might be culprit

PoormansA4
06-24-2009, 01:35 PM
If I remember correctly isnt the wastegate spring only rated at like 10psi? so if he disconnects the n75 he should only boost 10psi...not sure if that spring rate is correct though

lawnferie
06-24-2009, 08:39 PM
did the method thenofjboy was talking about. unplugged WG and drove around block. Was WOT 1st and 2nd gear and NO BOOST AT ALL. so its the n75. getting it tomorrow. will update with good news then

PoormansA4
06-24-2009, 08:48 PM
[up][wrench]

let us know what happens.

Altech75
06-26-2009, 06:29 AM
Well we're waiting. What happened.

lawnferie
06-27-2009, 09:07 AM
lol calm down....

new n75 in and still NOTHING!!!! soooooooo was about to do LAST step which is trying to spin the turbo with my finger to see if it evens turnsssss BUT i thought i'd check the DV one last time. the PO said it probably needed a new one so i had it in the back of my mind.

pressurized it with the air compressor and it leaks @ 3. and even worse at 5. so I'm looking to get a Forge because the one i have is Evo and yeah i've heard better things from Forge

Altech75
06-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah Forge is pretty solid. The hybrid DV is also a lot of fun because it goes PSHHHHH.

PoormansA4
06-27-2009, 11:26 AM
when you tested the n75 did you unplug it or you left it plugged in and bypassed it? and craps now that I think of i think i had the same problem, when you say cuts on and off does it like pull real hard and like immediately stop when your say on the freeway? if so a new maf helped fixed it but i still have some problems with i but my turbo is jacked lol 193k on original turbo. where did you get the ko4 from again?

lawnferie
06-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Yeah Forge is pretty solid. The hybrid DV is also a lot of fun because it goes PSHHHHH.

got one. [>_<]

still no boost. [>_>]

its gotta be either my WG or internal turbo.
PO doesnt have receipt from buying turbo, but was done @ a body shop A&L so I'm kinda skeptical if its Ko4 or not.

anyway i can check its a Ko4 with the serial or number around the turbo face?

lawnferie
06-30-2009, 06:53 PM
went to mobile one inc. i blew the turbo. internal. Jason never seen anything like it. getting new one

djwimbo
06-30-2009, 07:26 PM
The beauty of doing the work yourself, is that you don't have anyone else to blame.

Sorry about the shitty turbo, at least now you'll know you have a legit one.

... I didn't read all the BS, are you on a MBC or EBC? Either way, if you're not, I'd get one.

PoormansA4
07-01-2009, 03:20 AM
at least you know hat the items you just bough are new

jsquillz22
07-01-2009, 10:41 AM
went to mobile one inc. i blew the turbo. internal. Jason never seen anything like it. getting new one

gift me k04.... i wanna see how rebuild goes[up][up]

bandit
07-01-2009, 03:51 PM
got one. [>_<]

still no boost. [>_>]
but was done @ a body shop A&L so I'm kinda skeptical if its Ko4 or not.

body shop turbos are the best [>_<]

lawnferie
07-01-2009, 09:06 PM
nah it was legit kkk ko4 turbo. just the GIAC pc-16 wit 315cc only goes 14psi and i was expecting 20ish for a ko4. so yea it was fine to start with but fuck me now.

so once all is done and i actually have money again *probably once im in school* im going unitronic ko4 wit 380cc cuz i want 20's not teens psi...

PoormansA4
07-01-2009, 09:33 PM
i want 20's not teens...

[:D]

98A4TQ
07-02-2009, 11:01 AM
my giac non pc-16 K04 hits 23-24 and holds at 20. Not sure if this is normal or not for the tune, but I haven't got a overboost code or anything like that.

Altech75
07-02-2009, 11:12 AM
gift me k04.... i wanna see how rebuild goes[up][up]

Grrrr. I wish I followed this thread a little more than maybe I could have been the one to get possible dibs on that little sucker. I wanna get the SP51 installed, just ask PoormansA4 we've been talking about it.

Actually that reminds me, maybe you shouldn't buy a new one and just send off the dead one to get the rebuilt from SP. You'd be pushing 20's real easy.

PoormansA4
07-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Grrrr. I wish I followed this thread a little more than maybe I could have been the one to get possible dibs on that little sucker. I wanna get the SP51 installed, just ask PoormansA4 we've been talking about it.

Actually that reminds me, maybe you shouldn't buy a new one and just send off the dead one to get the rebuilt from SP. You'd be pushing 20's real easy.

yup the "outlaw" I wonder if they can make one out of a ko3, since I just picked one up (which is weird because my AWM had a ko3 instead of a ko3s in it) prob PO. and to the OP so your turbo is blown? was it spooling up slow?

lawnferie
07-04-2009, 10:01 AM
i blew off the plug that covers the hole letting all the air out (through wastegate esssentially) so basically there's a big hole in the hot side of my turbo where all the air just flows through....

and you can't rebuild that part i blew up....figures [>_>]

i'm looking for a ko4 now...

Altech75
07-05-2009, 12:29 PM
How quaint, we have the exact same problem. This is just wonderful. I'm considering bypassing a K04 completely and just pick up an Elim or a GT28. I want some POWER GOSH DANGIT.

lawnferie
07-05-2009, 07:59 PM
lol well i cant even take the damn lag on this ko4, idk if i could handle anything bigger hahahaha

plus im trying not to buy a whole brand new turbo. looking at other options first...