PDA

View Full Version : clutch/fly wheel advice

juxsa
06-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Clutch is starting to go on my 01 a4. I was orignaly looking at a southbend stg3 clutch and flywheel but with labor I was looking at almost $1300 installed. I figure I could save $200-$300 getting a different clutch/flywheel combo. Only plans I have with the car are 2.5in turbo-back exhaust and a Revo tune. Maybe in a year I will put a FMIC and some bigger injectors but no plans for a BT.

is the SMFW from southbend a 228mm FW or a 240mm?

Maybe something like this?
http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_88&products_id=19065

I had also been told that we can use an older vr6 smfw... since I can pick one of those up for next to nothing and get it resurfaced any one know if thats true?

skian
06-20-2009, 09:28 AM
I went with the SB stg4 with lw steel flywheel and love it. Its aggressive, but still drivable as an everyday. Its a bit more than what my engine needs right now, but this way If/when i do add more power I know it will still hold solid. It is expensive, but well worth it. Just as long as you don't dump the clutch on a reg basis it should last for many miles. If you have to save up for an extra month or 2 and do it right.

juxsa
06-20-2009, 09:39 AM
any idea if a vr6 SMFW will bolt up? That would save me a good chunk of money

mike-2ptzero
06-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Clutch is starting to go on my 01 a4. I was orignaly looking at a southbend stg3 clutch and flywheel but with labor I was looking at almost $1300 installed. I figure I could save $200-$300 getting a different clutch/flywheel combo. Only plans I have with the car are 2.5in turbo-back exhaust and a Revo tune. Maybe in a year I will put a FMIC and some bigger injectors but no plans for a BT.

is the SMFW from southbend a 228mm FW or a 240mm?

Maybe something like this?
http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_88&products_id=19065

I had also been told that we can use an older vr6 smfw... since I can pick one of those up for next to nothing and get it resurfaced any one know if thats true?

SB flywheel for he 1.8t is the same size as the OEM which is 228mm.

Pretty sure the bolt pattern on a VR6 flywheel is going to be different.

juxsa
06-20-2009, 10:05 AM
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Audi/A4_Quattro/Valeo/Flywheel_Conversion/19972005/W0133-1805086.html

any have any experiance with valeo?

mike-2ptzero
06-20-2009, 10:11 AM
The last place you ever want to cut corners to save a buck is the clutch, this is because there is way to much labor time to end up doing it over again. If you want to go OE your best choice is to buy a Sach clutch.

If you want to save money you can always have the flywheel resurfaced by SB when you buy a SB clutch. All you end up doing is paying for shipping both ways for the flywheel and it will fit in a large USPS flate rate box for under $15, so you would end up paying around $30 for the resurfacing on top of the SB clutch.

juxsa
06-20-2009, 10:17 AM
I would like to cut corners on the fly wheel, not the clutch. $400 on a steel SMFW is nuts.

mike-2ptzero
06-20-2009, 10:20 AM
I would like to cut corners on the fly wheel, not the clutch. $400 on a steel SMFW is nuts.

Well they are Billet Chromoly steel, much cheaper then the Billet Aluminum. Cutting corners on a flywheel isn't exactly great either since a really cheap one could be out of balance and that is not going to be great for your engine. To me $400 for a 15-20 lbs solid piece of Billet Chromoly Steel isn't too bad since there is cost of the solid piece and the labor it took to cut it down. The flywheel should last longer then 1 clutch.