PDA

View Full Version : Wow the fuel filter is a PITA!!

KBB5
06-18-2009, 08:30 PM
After changing my diff fluid, i tried to get the old fuel filter off man what a bad designed bracket. I loosened the rusty 8mm 12 pt bolt but it began spinning the square nut on the other side of the bracket. I tried using a flatblade to keep it from spinning but no luck. After 45 mins of tinkering i tightened the tank back up and called it a day. Has anyone ever run into the same problem? What have you done to fix it? thanks

Silverstreak98
06-18-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm planning on doing this in the near future and after doing some research this seems to be a very common problem.

It seems like most people use a screw driver to put pressure on the nut so they can loosen it, still a PITA though.

never_enough
06-18-2009, 08:48 PM
is this (http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng49.shtml) DIY the one you tried? i really need to do this and was planning on this DIY for a little help.

redsky
06-18-2009, 08:54 PM
What I have found that makes it easier to change this FF, (as I do it for living) is loosen metal strap that holds fuel tank. You can actually remove it, or just remove one end. This will allow for fuel tank to drop a little, very little actually 1 inch or so, but this does make a difference when trying to hold that metal nut in plastic bracket. (what an oxymoron set up that is)

What I did on my own car is I cut lower part of bracket and later just used 2 zip ties to secure FF back in place.

P.S. By the way that write up is very informative, that is pretty much how I do it .

KBB5
06-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Yes thats the DIY I used its very helpful and i did lower the tank by removing 4 13mm bolts. I am probably going to end up cutting my bracket too, I used penetrating oil and tried prying at it with a screwdriver and no luck. Its a horribly designed bracket and I gaurantee mine is clogged with 70k on it and it sat for 2 years. I will go at it this weekend.

oatmeal so good
06-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Damn

Seerlah
06-18-2009, 09:17 PM
I had my mechanic do mine, as it seemed troublesome from the start. Even he had troubles doing it. I had to return the next day for him to complete what should have been a 30 min job tops (took maybe 2-3 hours in total). Also, the Mehyle filters leak for some odd reason. We (or he) trashed that one and went with where he normally order parts from. What he did was use one wrench (or whatever he used) to hold the bolt in place and another to torque it down.

getslideways
06-18-2009, 09:23 PM
I just did this 3 days ago.

This is what worked for me:

-Lowered the tank
-Sprayed wd40 on the filter and braket
-used a wrench to rock the filter back and forth a tad to make sure it was loose
-pried the lip on the bottom of the filter bracket back to allow the filter to slide past a bit
-then drained the fuel
-Then reinstalled the bottom banjo bolt without the line with one set of holes showing
-then used wire to make a loop through the banjo bolt hole
-then used a hammer and slid the handle through the wire, then braced it against the bottom of the car
-then used leverage to slowly pull the filter out sometimes jerking it to get it to slide

worked fine and was a lot easier than messing with the 12 point bolt! although a little unconventional i had it out in about 15 minutes from the point where i had the car on jacks

then with the filter out there was enough room that i was able to hand turn my 12point bolt a little to loosen it up to make sliding in the new filter easier

KBB5
06-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Sounds like a good Idea, Thanks, the only things is I dont know if I will be able to tighten the 12 point bolt bc its so rusted, ill figure somethin out

jturnbull
06-18-2009, 10:10 PM
When I did mine I did it this way and was alot easier then that DIY.

Remove the line that you can get to w/o taking out the filter. Grab a pair of channel locks, stick one tooth in the filter and the other on the outside and yank the ****** out of there. after i got it out i just cut the damn strap so i don't have to worry about it next time and the lines hold it there fine. Its definitely a lot easier then messing with the tank.

Kronic Budz
06-18-2009, 11:42 PM
yup, thats why i paid someone to do it, but im kinda lazy when it comes to doing my own car maintenance. :(

willowtreexx
06-19-2009, 09:06 AM
well i would pay someone to do it! i spent a couple days on mine cause i effed it up big time. I dropped the gas tank down and all the rust made it harder and bolts spinning. then when putting it back up the line got crimped under the tank and got a tiny cut in it but under the fuel pressure it leaked a little which you cant have. so I spent the next few days having to redo EVERYTHING and fix the slit and what not. its the biggest PITA!

KBB5
06-20-2009, 11:19 PM
OK me and my dad got it wprkin, we cut the plastic strap that goes arounf the FF with a utility saw. Removed old filter. Then drilled two holes in the strap and connected it with a zip tie in order to put new filter back in, it wasnt ez and took a good 1.5hrs. and man was my old one clogged my cars running a good 15% better, holding boost better too, and the funny thing is the local german mechanic said the german fuel fiters last a lifetime, he just new what a pain they are to change, neway thanks for the help

eurotecknik
06-21-2009, 06:08 AM
I did a fuel filter change one week ago. Just like KBB5 and probably many others I had to stop for the day and continue another time. Well, very next day I decided to tackle it again. So, what worked for me and is the easiest thing ever is to just slide the FF down. I did not cut the strap, just the little plastic on the bottom. Wiggled it around a little and it will came loose. Then, just slide it back up. That way the strap is still there and there will be no zip ties making it look like a home style DIY. Hope that helps someone.

sjettav
06-21-2009, 09:07 AM
had to do mine twice after i pulled it and figured out that it was the wrong filter....

adr3naline fix
06-21-2009, 10:03 AM
I had a very similar problem. My bolt was stripped and the rest was rusted. vvvvvvvery dumb design. After an hour of fussing, I was able to get the filter out. After that, zip ties saved the day again.

MattzWarsteiner
06-21-2009, 12:52 PM
When I did mine I did it this way and was alot easier then that DIY.

Remove the line that you can get to w/o taking out the filter. Grab a pair of channel locks, stick one tooth in the filter and the other on the outside and yank the ****** out of there. after i got it out i just cut the damn strap so i don't have to worry about it next time and the lines hold it there fine. Its definitely a lot easier then messing with the tank.

Sounds like you were determined and also good with a pair of channel locks.

You might want to tie wrap that thing. I agree the lines can hold it in place, but
I bet if you put a camera on it and drove around you would see it bouncing
around pretty good. It seems like this could eventually lead to a fuel leak dude.

generik777
06-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Yeah it sucked. Just cut the strap.