PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical vs Stepper

fred2ka4
06-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Not to sound like a noob but I have been hearing a lot about these new stepper motor gauges and I just wanted to know the difference between stepper, and mechanical and is there any benefits.

The one main difference I have noticed is price ...... [rolleyes] [:D]

I have noticed that some stepper motor gauges come with MAF sensors and is this needed for our application and does it make the stepper gauge more accurate or better in any way?

b6onboost
06-18-2009, 09:23 AM
http://www.podi.ca/Gauges.aspx (http://www.podi.ca/Gauges.aspx)

If you are referring to the Podi gauges, the stepper motor gauges are better than the mechanical gauges. Mechanical gauges are prone to buzz and make noise which is why they require anti-buzz filters. They have fewer LEDs so lighting isn't as good.

The stepper motor gauges are electronic and silent. They are much better lit at night because they have more LEDs. Plus they have a few other neat features that only a programmable electronic gauge can have.

biketsai
06-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Seems to me like you dont have to wait for the needle to drop, etc. They are expensive as hell but super nice.

mike-2ptzero
06-18-2009, 11:31 AM
The stepper is just a electronic sender, so instead of direct pressure to the gauge you are sending a signal to the gauge to tell it how much boost/vac is being made.

.Mad Hatter.
06-18-2009, 01:49 PM
i wouldnt say the lighting is AT ALL a factor on my mechanical Podi, nor is the needle response.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3631/3338046471_2de90663c8_o.jpg

winston@podi.ca
06-18-2009, 02:49 PM
The stepper is just a electronic sender, so instead of direct pressure to the gauge you are sending a signal to the gauge to tell it how much boost/vac is being made.

That's as clear an answer as you will get.

Electronic gauges usually have extra functions like overboost alarm, peak value storage, playback modes, adjustable colors, etc, since they are microprocessor controlled.

And lighting issues? I made sure my mechanicals look just as good as the electronic ones at night [:D]

fred2ka4
06-18-2009, 09:44 PM
So does that mean there is no vacuum line/tubing going to the gauge it self? Where do you get the signal from?

djwimbo
06-18-2009, 10:47 PM
So does that mean there is no vacuum line/tubing going to the gauge it self? Where do you get the signal from?

No boost/vac signal to the actual gauge. Just a boost/vac reference to the sending unit (like oil pressure, fuel pressure, tire pressure, etc).

That way you only have to run wires, not 5' of vacuum line.

FWIW, I NEVER installed a anti-buzz fitting on my gauge (Stewart Warner Max Perf - mechanical) and I didn't ever have a problem or noise.
edit - I didn't install an anti-buzz fitting in the MKV Fahrenheit I put a boost gauge either. No problems with that either.

I don't think you can go wrong on either part, I went mechanical b/c it's cheap, reliable, and readily available.

Winston is the shit though, I'd support him/Podi if I had to do it again.

audiluxary
06-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Go electronic, they have so many more options you can do with them. I got the digital Podi with steering column mount from Winston a year ago and love it. I have had no problems no buzz and I can do a bunch of stuff with it. I love having the option to hit the button and see my max boost for that run and it looks so stock. WInston's stuff is great and would purchase from him again.

mike-2ptzero
06-19-2009, 07:20 AM

I thought I made it clear up above Fred. An electric gauge uses a sender(step motor) that you install in the engine bay, so the vac line goes to one side of the sender and then a wire comes out from it for the signal to the gauge. The gauge then uses that signal to tell you how much boost or vacuum that is in that vacuum line at the sender.