PDA

View Full Version : help! alpine type x or infinity reference components?

Kronic Budz
06-17-2009, 09:06 PM
im getting new front component speakers and going with 5.25" to replace my current stock 4" components.

Im trying to decide on the newest 5030cs model infinitys or alpine type x components. Iv heard both and own infinity speakers at the moment but maybe the extra $30 or so dollars would be worth it to get the alpines... Maybe a little bit better put together even though the infinitys are 2 omh and can handle more power. I like my music loud and clear. 75 watt rms for infinity and 60 watts rms for alpines.

I will have an amp to power them and for the infinitys i could put out 100 watts for each side with stability or run the type x's and get 65 watts out of my amp running 4 omhs. Both good ranges for each speaker...

the alpines do have a larger frequency range as well... I would get a 3 year warranty on both.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9057/p1085030csf.jpg (http://img150.imageshack.us/i/p1085030csf.jpg/)

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2151/spx17ref.jpg (http://img150.imageshack.us/i/spx17ref.jpg/)

somebody5788
06-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Polk Momo's FTMFW! I have 2 of last years model in my rear doors and they are amazing speakers. They are also made of Carbon Fiber lol. But out of those to Infiniti > Alpine IMO

Kronic Budz
06-17-2009, 09:15 PM
polk momo's? are those a polk audio model or is that the company?

never heard of them.

somebody5788
06-17-2009, 09:16 PM
polk momo's? are those a polk audio model or is that the company?

never heard of them.

They are Polk brand and Momo is the model. It's there mid range set. db is there lower one and I can't remember their high end one.

Kronic Budz
06-17-2009, 09:16 PM
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/20081/107/p107MM5251-f.jpeg

those?

*edited*

too stonnneedd mann.

somebody5788
06-17-2009, 09:17 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41jtHgYUIcL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

those?

Answered above lol... u should ninja edit but i caught you!

97a41.8t
06-17-2009, 09:20 PM
With the amount of power you have, I would go with the references. However, if you plan to upgrade the amplifier i would to the Type X. The references are Infinity's lower line of components where as Type X is their top of the line component speakers (besides the F#1).

The Alpines are a little more...power hungry.

Kronic Budz
06-17-2009, 09:22 PM
the type x's call for only 60 watts rms. My amp is rated to probably put out 65-75 watts rms at 4 ohms... And btw, i like reference series over the kappas, many people agree with me and have heard both in person to compare.

somebody5788
06-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Ya those are the new ones. They would be better off w/ a nice 4 channel full range amp like a JL or something but will sound good on stock head unit just a little quieter due to the impedance difference. They are very clear speakers w/ some great low's and sharp highs.

Ninja Edit: Your amp w/ the Polk speakers would probably sound really really good. I payed 160 a pair. Sometimes crutchfield has a buy one set get one set free.

The Middle Man
06-17-2009, 09:26 PM
^Agree completely^ Have fun with the install. Our cars suck! Im building door pods for 3" deep Hertz Mille 6.5" speakers!

somebody5788
06-17-2009, 09:27 PM
^Agree completely^ Have fun with the install. Our cars suck! Im building door pods for 3" deep Hertz Mille 6.5" speakers!

How so? Our car's are EASY!!!!!! Although the draw back is my Polk's were too deep for the rear doors... I would look at the spec's in comparison to the new ones to see if they are shallower. Only need 1/4 - 1/2 inch.

Oceanside
06-17-2009, 09:32 PM
I just did 330 watt a piece 6x9's in a Hemi truck today and had to do custom stand off brackets so the window wouldnt hit the magnet, SO the Question is - What is the maximum depth of speaker we can put in the front doors for 6.5 and clear the window???

somebody5788
06-17-2009, 09:35 PM
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6855_Polk+Audio+MOMO+MMC6500.html These are what I have and even where I got them. They are like 1/4" too deep. I mean it would still be harder at 1/4" less but more manageable. 1/2" less would fit like OEM.

Poopie
06-17-2009, 09:36 PM
haha install on the doors was super easy but i did a hack job. These doors are flimsy. Running powerful speakers, I would def make up a nice pod instead of the plastic mounting pieces for the stock speakers. I have Memphis speakers and they rattle the door car pretty good when i turn it up.

97a41.8t
06-17-2009, 09:47 PM
the type x's call for only 60 watts rms. My amp is rated to probably put out 65-75 watts rms at 4 ohms... And btw, i like reference series over the kappas, many people agree with me and have heard both in person to compare.

The Type-X needs more than 60 watts. Its just a rating but I have installed many of these speakers and they dont sound too good with little power [;)]

And yes, the References do sound better overall. The Kappas are bassy.

You may also want to check out Sounddomain.com or diymobileaudio.com forums for a lot of good speaker recommendations.

The Middle Man
06-17-2009, 09:54 PM
How so? Our car's are EASY!!!!!! Although the draw back is my Polk's were too deep for the rear doors... I would look at the spec's in comparison to the new ones to see if they are shallower. Only need 1/4 - 1/2 inch.

Factory is a bigger than a 4" but after market 5.25" don't always fit correctly. They mount with 3 small screws that are not universal to most speakers and the mount are at a strange angle too. The panels are super flimsy like previously stated. Im a n audiophile so I look at everything differently I guess. If anyone can do a B6 door swap then I would advise that! [:D]

Car audio is my career so this has not been my favorite car for front sound stage.

Check metraonline.com for speaker depth. Its around 2.5" I would guess.

onemoremile
06-17-2009, 10:00 PM
The Polk Momo is what I planned on running.

97a41.8t
06-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Factory is a bigger than a 4" but after market 5.25" don't always fit correctly. They mount with 3 small screws that are not universal to most speakers and the mount are at a strange angle too. The panels are super flimsy like previously stated. Im a n audiophile so I look at everything differently I guess. If anyone can do a B6 door swap then I would advise that! [:D]

Car audio is my career so this has not been my favorite car for front sound stage.

Check metraonline.com for speaker depth. Its around 2.5" I would guess.

So true! In my 97 i cut the door panel "pocket" and fit a 3-way system there...but it just doesn't sound good.

I have switched back to a 2-way and mounted the speakers using extra grill rings from the shop and tried to align it with the limited space back there.

To the OP: 3/4" Tweeters will fit perfectly in the factory position, might need slight trimming.

Kronic Budz
06-17-2009, 10:20 PM
thanks for all the quick responses guys.[up]

I think anything under 2 1/2 inches in depth is gunna be less of a problem to fit in the front doors. Those polks are right under that so hopefully it shouldn't be a problem. The infinity and alpines are both around 2 1/4". Im thinking about dinamatting my front doors while im at it to if people are saying that get rattle from them...

The polks should be good if im planning for some loud clear highs, but also good mids and low bass...? My idea is to fill up the front cabin a bit more with bass so it evens itself out a little bit with the sub woofer, i dont like how its noticeable that theres no bass coming from the front and only from the back.

That is one thing the infinitys lack for sure, bass response.

So i think its settled on the polks. I heard they were good speakers, 3 omhs so right in the middle, good bass, good mids so rock will sound really good on them, good crisp highs. Reallly good frequency. I just hope they are going to fit.

and also, my amp does 65-75 watts at 4 omhs and 100-110 at 2 omhs. Should this 3 omh speaker settle nicely being powered by my ED nine.4 amp?

onemoremile
06-17-2009, 10:54 PM
If you crossover at 60 or 80hz then the bass will appear to come from the front. With proper adjustment a pair of 4" full ranges and a 10 will sound amazing and you'd swear the sub was up front.

somebody5788
06-18-2009, 08:19 AM
thanks for all the quick responses guys.[up]

I think anything under 2 1/2 inches in depth is gunna be less of a problem to fit in the front doors. Those polks are right under that so hopefully it shouldn't be a problem. The infinity and alpines are both around 2 1/4". Im thinking about dinamatting my front doors while im at it to if people are saying that get rattle from them...

The polks should be good if im planning for some loud clear highs, but also good mids and low bass...? My idea is to fill up the front cabin a bit more with bass so it evens itself out a little bit with the sub woofer, i dont like how its noticeable that theres no bass coming from the front and only from the back.

That is one thing the infinitys lack for sure, bass response.

So i think its settled on the polks. I heard they were good speakers, 3 omhs so right in the middle, good bass, good mids so rock will sound really good on them, good crisp highs. Reallly good frequency. I just hope they are going to fit.

and also, my amp does 65-75 watts at 4 omhs and 100-110 at 2 omhs. Should this 3 omh speaker settle nicely being powered by my ED nine.4 amp?

As far as lows the Polks can reproduce the really low notes w/ clarity they just don't have much volume to the lows w/ the factory head unit lol.

I think your amp is perfect. I had a 75w X4 RMS on them for a while but sold the amp when I got this car. My Polks are 4 ohm I believe

flynnr
06-18-2009, 09:57 AM
well being and engineering student and taking a couple physics courses (FINALLY CAME IN HANDY lol) you need to DOUBLE the power to achieve only 3bd of difference in sound... so if your contemplating between 60w and 75w you will probably be hearing a little shy of 1db difference between the two... if you already have one i would just stick with that one IMO... but it being different ohms may play a big factor on clarity...

djwimbo
06-18-2009, 11:31 AM
well being and engineering student and taking a couple physics courses (FINALLY CAME IN HANDY lol) you need to DOUBLE the power to achieve only 3bd of difference in sound... so if your contemplating between 60w and 75w you will probably be hearing a little shy of 1db difference between the two... if you already have one i would just stick with that one IMO... but it being different ohms may play a big factor on clarity...

Ah HA! We found another helpful member of AZ.

He speaks the truth. If you want louder but can't increase power output, increase the speaker size. 100W to a 10" vs 100W to a 15" is a huge difference. For the same reason, 100W into two 8" speakers is > 100W to one 10" speaker.

2x 8" speakers = >100in^2 of cone
1x 10" speaker = 78.5in^2

... As for personal preference, I've always had good luck with Infinity speakers. I've had a handful of their subs, speakers, etc. no problems so far. My old 6.5's in my Celica got rained on, dropped, kicked, and worse, still worked excellent. (don't buy a convertible with no back window)

jrock
06-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Dont know about the type x components as I have the s's. However, I do have the type x 10" sub and I FU**IN LOVE IT!!!! I would say type x's FTW!

onemoremile
06-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Ah HA! We found another helpful member of AZ.

He speaks the truth. If you want louder but can't increase power output, increase the speaker size. 100W to a 10" vs 100W to a 15" is a huge difference. For the same reason, 100W into two 8" speakers is > 100W to one 10" speaker.

2x 8" speakers = >100in^2 of cone
1x 10" speaker = 78.5in^2

... As for personal preference, I've always had good luck with Infinity speakers. I've had a handful of their subs, speakers, etc. no problems so far. My old 6.5's in my Celica got rained on, dropped, kicked, and worse, still worked excellent. (don't buy a convertible with no back window)

That all depends on efficiency. A sub that does 88db @ 1watt 1 meter needs a hell of a lot more power to play at the same volume as one rated 102db/M. Part of the reason my home theater is clean and flat to 14Hz and cracks a distortion free 146.2 dB is the efficiency of those speakers. The ultra efficient Klipsch References are 96db while Adire Tempests (http://www.audiojunkies.com/product/99/adire-audio-tempest-15quot-reviews) are down at 89db. That lets the system play accurately and very powerfully with only 40 watts for each main channel while the subs get about 450 each. FWIW, each Tempest 15 gets an 8 cubic foot sealed enclosure which is a low Q design and critically damped. It isn't as efficient as the same enclosure with a pair of 4" x 72 ports but it goes a full octave deeper and is better controlled. Ported would be about 3-4 dB louder from 25-50 Hz which would have resulted in "room boom".

Subs move air. Well, all speakers do but subs move a lot of air. Just looking at diameter doesn't get you very far. We're really talking about displacement here. That is what gets the job done. The sub's diameter is it's bore and it's xmax is it's stroke. It's ability to pressurize and rarefy air is what we get when we combine displacement, motor and suspension type, and efficiency.

somebody5788
06-18-2009, 03:38 PM
This just went way too technical... lol

djwimbo
06-18-2009, 03:41 PM
I was going off general theory, not as in depth as I know you're capable of going.

efficiency is one of the main things I look for when I go speaker shopping. One of the reasons I used to use Infinity stuff was that in the price range I could afford (high school/early college) it was the most efficient and clean.
A R/F P3 is only 87db, where the Reference series was 92db, and over a hundred dollars less. I didn't need the high end power, I wanted clean and efficient.

For home theater I went from cheap 4" book shelf speakers to Polk Audio M10's. The amp never changed, the input never changed, but I got a whole lot more volume, range and clarity. Speaker choice is key.

Oh yea, public service announcement, Jim will bring anybody that comes over into his basement. Most people leave quietly after b/c they've had an earful of technical jargin on speakers/audio stuff.

Kronic Budz
06-30-2009, 02:26 AM
here are the polk mm series 5.25" components to replace my front speakers with. I got them for $160 off an ebay store in LA. I hope they fit, there about 2.5-2.6" from the top of the speaker mount to the bottom of the magnet. I heard anything under 3" will fit and then iv heard 2.5" and less will only fit...someone also i heard stating their 5.25" momo's didnt fit right and if im not mistaken, this speaker is the newer version of the momo's and acually have a smaller magnet. But maybe its fatter? :/

They look real nice though, im getting them installed on wed and cant wait to hear them. If they fit without huge issues that is...

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7928/photow.jpg (http://img132.imageshack.us/i/photow.jpg/)

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4233/photo2sce.jpg (http://img261.imageshack.us/i/photo2sce.jpg/)

somebody5788
06-30-2009, 07:43 AM
Your gonna love the speakers. Just don't expect them to screw right in. Although IIRC mine did lol.

Kronic Budz
06-30-2009, 11:22 AM
im not installing them... And i know they will require cutting and all, but i just hope they arent thin enough.

jrock
06-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Shoulda done the type x's[:D]

Im sure youll still be happy with those tho.

somebody5788
06-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Shoulda done the type x's[:D]

Im sure youll still be happy with those tho.

These are a much much higher end speaker...

onemoremile
06-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Good call on the Polks. Those are great speakers.

Kronic Budz
07-01-2009, 12:39 AM
im getting them installed tomorrow morning pretty damn excited to finally have a clear dominant front stage. Ill be having around 80-90 watts pushed at them so that should be plenty of power to get them sounding good.

i heard the type x's need a lot of power to sound good.

Kronic Budz
07-02-2009, 10:12 PM
the polks are in and sound ammazzzing. :) I love the front stage now with the crystal clear highs and mids. My coaxle references still sound pretty good to with no power from the amp (the polks stole it sorry infinitys!) Now i feel like i need more power for my sub.... dun dun dun.

somebody5788
07-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Glad your happy w/ the speakers. I sure love mine. I plan on getting the ones you got from my front doors at some point and then a 4 channel amp on an AVIC. Then at some point I want to make a rear deck w/ some 8" sub's at about 100-200 watt's each either JL or Polk's. My car's gonna be sick in a year or so haha.

Kronic Budz
07-03-2009, 12:27 PM
that sounds tight man. The thing with the installation is this. The guys installing it showed me that they recommended putting dynamat in there to help seal up the speaker better even after cutting and everything. So i said sure why not.And this is how each side was mounted...

I have my bass pretty much all the way down on my speakers becuase if i have it barley turned up my rear infinitys "try" to hard and they distort from the bass. haha

im really happy the way it turned out, and im glad the crossovers fit in the doors to. I also had the crossover set on the lower side so its not as bright. And sooo glad for it. Currently on my deck my high, mids, lows, and SW are set like so. High; -3 Mid; +1 Low;-8 SW; +3 (out of 15)

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/3170/photo3b.jpg (http://img443.imageshack.us/i/photo3b.jpg/)