PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control not working

KrautExpress
11-30-2004, 12:22 AM
It's actually been out for over a year but I can't stomach another 2500 mile drive this holiday without it...( I have great calves) haha...
My question is what is the actual part called? I know that it's a common problem with the 98's. I think it's in the steering column, but what's the name of it and how hard is it to DIY?

THanks.

fridge
11-30-2004, 12:29 AM
therez a post on it somewhere... it's about spraying some electrical component cleaner found @ radio shack into the gaps, n moving the buttons around... the connectors have oxidized. i have the same problem.. very common.

bong2611
11-30-2004, 01:29 AM
you might want to check your vacuum lines as well. A friend of mine had the same problem after coming from the dealer. He found out they disconneted the vauum lines and did plug them back in.

bOOOOstedAudi
11-30-2004, 01:37 AM
could it be a fuse. isnt there a cruise control fuse

JMG
11-30-2004, 05:39 AM
For me it was just the stalk.

SeanF
11-30-2004, 06:23 AM
mine doesnt work either, but im thinking its not the same thing as you guys...

i think my clutch switch is bypassed, as i can start the car without pressing the clutch...

if the car thinks the pedal is pushed in, it wont allow you to set the cruise... any thoughts?

KrautExpress
11-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by JMG
For me it was just the stalk.

What specifically in the stalk?
It worked intermittently for a while, then just stopped.
The oxidation thing is interesting but I'm weary of just spraying blindly into the column, if something get's wet (assuming it's a liquid spray) it could cause even bigger problems.

Jon_Rhea
11-30-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by bong2611
you might want to check your vacuum lines as well. A friend of mine had the same problem after coming from the dealer. He found out they disconneted the vauum lines and did plug them back in.

Mine isn't working at the moment either, and there is a prob. with one of my vacuum lines as well. So chances are there is a connection with the 2.

KrautExpress
11-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Donde esta el vacuum hoses? How do they get disconnected?

Weejie
11-30-2004, 02:27 PM
i think my vacuum hoses are done, too. my cc worked for a while, then only engaged about 10mph below the set speed, then stopped working altogether. if there's a way i can replace the vacuum hoses myself, i'm game. time to search...[;)]

Gruinards
02-25-2010, 01:21 PM
It's actually been out for over a year but I can't stomach another 2500 mile drive this holiday without it...( I have great calves) haha...
My question is what is the actual part called? I know that it's a common problem with the 98's. I think it's in the steering column, but what's the name of it and how hard is it to DIY?

THanks.

Hi,

I just spent about $700 USD getting the cruise control fixed on my Audi A4 2.8 Station Wagon. It's the one with electro-pneumatic cruise control (B5), not the later fly-by-wire. Anyway, it only worked sporadically and eventually died. The answer proved to be replacing the control unit near the glove box. Apparently, over time and vibration, the union from the wiring harness causes the circuit board to crack, causing a 'dry joint'.

Like you guys, I heard that oxidation of the copper contacts in the cc stalk was mostly to blame, but Audi (at least those with old enough mecahnics) reckon these boards cause most of the problems, followed by cracked pneumatic pipes to the throttle control. The cc stalks are very expensive, like most Audi parts. If you've a mate with a working cc, try borrowing a control unit for diagnostic purposes (you may have to spend a few dollars on new control unit gaskets as they tend to tear on c-unit removal), it may save you spending $700 USD on sequentially fitting new parts to identify the problem, as I had to.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Gruinards

Gruinards
02-25-2010, 01:34 PM
The cruise control stalk is to the left of the steering wheel in front of the turn indicator. It has a button on the end marked 'set' and a slider switch on it with 'Off and 'Res(ume)'. If you don't have this, you car does not have cc.

Personally, I wouldn'y try to take one apart, as the plastic is brittle and prone to breakage. You have to take the steering wheel off along with the airbags which contain explosives - best left alone. Moreover, it's full of fiddly micro-switches, which you can actually still buy.

Gruinards
02-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Thre are three switches associated with cc on these Audis. One on the brake, which operates brake lights and acts as an off sensor for cc, one on the clutch, likewise and one on the throttle. Make sure they're properly set, otherwise they will cancel the cc operation. It's fiddly messing around the driver's footwell and the main problems often lie with the CC 'brain, above the glove box, or the air pipes to the throttle control unit.

Inval1d
02-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Here's a link I used to diagnose mine. I replaced the stalk (if you do plan on replacing the stalk, make sure you REMOVE the negative on the battery and wait at least 30 minutes just for safety's sake. You dont want that airbag blowing in your face) but the one that fixed mine was the CC module right on top of the glove compartment.

http://audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57846

flynnr
02-25-2010, 02:41 PM
i just spent $5.88 to fix mine...

AforOuttie
02-25-2010, 04:28 PM
i just spent $5.88 to fix mine...

ha, what'd you do to fix it? Mine hasn't worked ever since I got it, which was about 3.5 years ago. I thought it was just due to the GIAC software that the previous owner had installed. Should my CC still be working?

flynnr
02-25-2010, 07:05 PM
yeah... heres my writeup i made... i used the DIY from that link in the sig... i must say i was VERY skeptical... like to the point that when it was all said and done i still didnt think it would work... but it actually worked first try! and has been working every day since no problems!!

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?344130-cruise-control-problem-fixed!-find-out-how-within&p=4911265#post4911265

Inval1d
02-25-2010, 07:19 PM
yeah... heres my writeup i made... i used the DIY from that link in the sig... i must say i was VERY skeptical... like to the point that when it was all said and done i still didnt think it would work... but it actually worked first try! and has been working every day since no problems!!

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?344130-cruise-control-problem-fixed!-find-out-how-within&p=4911265#post4911265

This was actually the one I ended up doing which fixed the problem. The first link I provided was how to fix it by taking the airbag off.

AudiTurbo
11-28-2010, 07:57 AM
If I'm using a stalk out of a newer model say 2000-2001, could it cause problems and not work in a 98? It has the extra buttons needed to change and look at the display on the speedo that my 98 doesnt have. Could this be the problem my cruise doesn't work? I can reset the computer and the cruise works for a day or so, but then goes back to not working..
Please let me know if you all can help in any way.
Thanks

AudiTurbo
11-29-2010, 04:52 AM
Please help!

tatwood1
09-03-2012, 06:44 AM
I took the stalk apart while still on the car. the back of the stalk just snaps in and i bent the set button contacts down to make better contact. I also soldered the cruise control module. there is a posting for a6'es or vws about bad cruise controls that shows you what to re solder. worked for me.

skim464
10-04-2012, 08:14 AM
mine doesnt work either, but im thinking its not the same thing as you guys...

i think my clutch switch is bypassed, as i can start the car without pressing the clutch...

if the car thinks the pedal is pushed in, it wont allow you to set the cruise... any thoughts?

Hang on..

So car isnt suppose to start without clutch being pushed down? mine starts even with the clutch pused down. I got 96 A4 Quattro, and does that mean I have a bad clutch sensor?

indiana
02-25-2013, 06:41 AM
Hang on..

So car isnt suppose to start without clutch being pushed down? mine starts even with the clutch pused down. I got 96 A4 Quattro, and does that mean I have a bad clutch sensor?

Mine is 97 A4 Q 5-speed and can engage starter without pushing clutch. My cruise doesn't work reliably either... should I first replace a clutch interlock switch (if equipped???)??

Believer
02-25-2013, 06:44 AM

I've used this method and it fixed my cruise control.

indiana
02-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Two of us 'newbies' still want to know if the clutch has an interlock with the starter? I did find it odd that my Audi seemed not to when my Ford Ranger did.... ranger's failed and did not allow me to start it.