PDA

View Full Version : 2001 2.8 A4 Quattro

indyaudis4
05-27-2009, 06:35 PM
My buddy is looking to pick one of these up, but I don't know enough about the 2.8 engine to tell him yes or no. It has 100,000 miles on it and the asking price is $8,000. I would like to know the following:

1. I know ask if the timing belt is done.
2. Ask if the clutch has been replaced.
3. What other things should I have him ask/watch out for????

Please and thank you!

Seerlah
05-27-2009, 06:38 PM
I would not pay that much. Especially with the economy down also.

indyaudis4
05-27-2009, 06:40 PM
I would not pay that much. Especially with the economy down also.

It is just the ASKING price!!!!

somebody5788
05-27-2009, 06:44 PM
If the body and interior are near perfect offer 5500 tops. But not until you have the thing checked out at a reputable shop for any mechanical concerns. Some places will include checking all the electrical things like lights, power mirrors, radio, you know accesories. You can do that yourself... have them check suspension, fluids (including trans and dif), and maintenance items. Ask about the timing belt and for any previous records. That should be a good start.

Seerlah
05-27-2009, 06:48 PM
It is just the ASKING price!!!!

No need to yell[:p] The basic things to look for are control arms (I don't know if the seller would permit you to lift the vehicle and shake the wheel), window regluators, pixels on cluster, TB, and reveiw as many maintanance receipts that he has. Maybe a carfax would also help in the decision. The 2.8 is a rather solid engine, but has it quirks just like any other Audi. And be sure it is a Quattro[drive]

bobjoe
05-27-2009, 06:48 PM
take it on a decent test drive.. have it checked out.. have it scanned.. receipts.. and A LOWER PRICE

dbansal
05-27-2009, 08:52 PM
yea, def lower price. I paid 6k for my 2.8 about 10 months back. It had 93k on it.

Just an FYI

BlkBullitt
05-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Aside from the usual checking of body / interior damage, rust, leaks, tire wear, break wear, etc) I'd ask / check the following...

1. Has the ABS Module been replaced or serviced?
2. Have any of the Wheel Bearings been replaced?
3. Have any of the Front Control Arms been replaced?
4. Check the Side Mirrors for signs of glass deterioration (brown or yellow under the glass)
5. Does the car still have the belly pan on it?
6. Have any of the Window Regulators been replaced?
7. Check all electronic items to verify working condition (windows, sunroof, radio, climate control, lcd info, etc).
8. Check the LCD display for any dead pixels.
9. Verify the Cruise Control functions properly.
10. Remove the plastic engine covers and valve covers and check the Valve Covers and the Cam Chain Tensioners for Oil Leaks.

Doing a VAGCOM scan is always a good idea. Also, I'd get the VIN# and contact your local Audi dealership (if the car isn't for sale there) and have them run it to see if they can pull up any history on the car (service work done, etc).

Also, an FYI I bought my 1998 2.8Q last Janurary for $5,800 out the door (Tax, Doc, and Title Fees included) and it was fully loaded with 89,000 miles. It did however have some issues that needed addressed which I fixed (ABS Module, Rear Left ABS Sensor, Rear Wheel Bearing, and Side Mirror Glass).

Flash
05-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Looks like all the major things are covered. When I bought mine though, I forgot to test the sunroof. It needed new rails! Arg! I was so blinded by the cool interior I didn't check it. Now that I think of it, a few other things to check:

Take a look at the coolant and make sure it's the right color: pinkish. If it's brown or something else, step away.

If you get a chance, take the center engine cover off (4 plastic pop-out screws) and look at the crank-case breather hoses (rectangular hose that's ribbed). If its flakey or already broken off, it's around 140 I think for the whole crank-case setup.

Also, looking under the car near the front driver's side, look at the oil filter and the box that it's attached to: that's the oil cooler. Coolant circulates around the oil. These things go on both 2.8s and 1.8ts. If you see leaks or crystallized build-up that's another thing that will need to be replaced.

Good luck.