PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Leak: Squirts on hard turns...

brandonp
05-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Hey

So I recently bought a used 99 Audi A4 1.8T and there seems to be a power steering leak.

When the car sits overnight it leaks a little pool about 6 inches in diameter, but when I drive it and the wheel is at lock on slow turns it basically pours out. I can see a constant stream of it on the ground if I stop and take a look (like at the top of my driveway).

I'm am pretty handy with fixing things myself, but I have never had to deal with a problem like this.

With whats happening do you guys think it is the rack that is leaking? Or a hose after the rack?
I would assume it is after the fluid is pressurized because of the squirting.

I'm just trying to get an idea if I can do something myself before taking it to a shop.

Thanks for your help!

spyder101
05-24-2009, 12:33 PM
steering racks have external seals at both ends, so when the seals go, fluid gushes out. Pull back both boot bellows and see if oil blows out.

Poopie
05-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah its the rack. Reman racks are decently priced. The biggest pain is removing the rack.

brandonp
05-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Crap.

I put a piece of cardboard down underneath to see exactly where it was dripping from (without the bottom cover on) and there are drips from drivers side, a bit back from center of the wheel, and then passenger side a bit closer up.

Is this something I should look into doing myself? Any DIY's?

I'm going to get a quote later this week, but what do you think a shop will charge to replace rack and fix this bs?

Thanks for the help AZ

brandonp
05-24-2009, 09:14 PM
And could any of this happen because I scraped the bottom when going into an underground parking?

revbjeff
05-24-2009, 09:34 PM
It could be coming out of the cap. The system gets air in it and forces it out of a hole on the cap. Mine was cased by a bad power steering pump. $50 and an hour and a half later it was fixed.

onemoremile
05-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Get some paper towel and slowly wipe around the power steering tank to see if it is leaking at either of the connections.

Castro27
05-25-2009, 07:00 PM
when my rack went... it was leaking from the passenger side. (kept gettin fluid all over my rim [headbang])

spyder101
05-25-2009, 08:31 PM
steering racks have external seals at both ends, so when the seals go, fluid gushes out. Pull back both boot bellows and see if oil blows out.

Check this first!!!!! It takes two seconds to do.

Tmoney8772
05-26-2009, 10:47 AM
My 96 has the same problem has anyone replaced it themselves? is there any good places i can get instructions from? when i priced it a rebuilt rack was 300 and then a shop said an additional 3-400 to replace it.