PDA

View Full Version : TT tuning

TheMuska00TT
11-26-2004, 03:31 PM
I just got my first AUDI a week ago a 2000 blue TT 180 hp fwd. I love it i cant stop driving but i am looking to upgrade does anyone know some good companies to go with? I was looking for exaust, intake and boost controller mainly.

Thanks

ncttrnl
11-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Dont get a boost controller... get a chip.

The chips do more than just adjust boost and now they just flash your ecu through the diagnostic port... no permanent changes... just software.

I have a GIAC X-chip and love it.

The other big names to look at are APR, Revo, and Dahlback.

Personally, I lean towards GIAC and APR. They've been around forever. Revo is a new kid on the block but they have very good stuff. Dahlback I haven't heard much about yet. They are just coming to the states but Dahlback is a big name in the tuner world.

Their are other chip makers but those are the popular ones now. Watch out paying extra for a name. Some companies charge a premium for their reputation. A chip should cost you between 500-700 bucks but it will turn your car into an entirely different beast.

bOOOOstedAudi
11-26-2004, 11:38 PM
thats as far as chip tuning. for other part I would go with awe-tuning.com they make some stuf and they ave alot of knowledge anout all audis

Hutash
11-27-2004, 09:14 AM
A chip is the place to start. I have REVO and it works great. With an extra tool it is adjustable for different octanes, driving conditions etc. I suspect all are that way now.

ncttrnl
11-27-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Hutash
A chip is the place to start. I have REVO and it works great. With an extra tool it is adjustable for different octanes, driving conditions etc. I suspect all are that way now.

Revo is actually the only one that has that feature. At least they are the only ones with that feature in a handheld tool. GIAC and APR have software so you can use a laptop tweak settings.

For switching programs, APR has that one where you change programs through the control stalk and GIAC has that little key fob thing but I think both of those might require modifications to the ECU.

Most people I know don't change their settings on any chips all that often though. Most of the ones that do seem to be the dealer crazy ones that are afraid their warranty is going to be voided. The others are the guys that run another octane level at the track and want the extra timing to take advantage of it.

As for intakes and exhasts... save your money and get the chip first. You will see more gains from the intake and exhaust after the car is chipped. You will also need an aftermarket DV. Eventually, the higher pressures and temptation to jump off throttle to hear the psssssh sound will rip the diaphram in the stock one. Forge makes good DVs... I have a 007P which uses a metal piston. There is also the 007 Race that uses replaceable diaphrams so if you do blow one you just unscrew the top and drop a new one in.

Another thing to think about is that the exhaust, while constrictive, is not the really big bottleneck after the turbo. The downpipe will see some more gains for you. On a 180, you'd be looking at about a 2.5 inch. The crappy thing is that on the FWD, there aren't as many TT specific exhaust options. The Quattro 180s can use the systems made for a 225 provided they swap out the rear valence to get the two holes for it in the rear bumper. For FWD, our spare tire well hangs down where the quattro exhaust would sit so we have to use FWD only exhausts. I'm fairly sure that there are exhausts for VW GTIs that fit our cars.

Hope all that helps.

TT Quattro
12-02-2004, 07:47 AM
the best chip is dahlback but cost around $900 compared to the average price of others 499-650

ncttrnl
12-02-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by TT Quattro
the best chip is dahlback but cost around $900 compared to the average price of others 499-650

I'm waiting to see dyno plots but, honestly, there is only so much you can do with just a chip and the other manufacturers are already pretty close to the limits of the turbos and injectors.

if you're paying an extra 400 bucks for just a few extra ponies, it may not be worth it.

thats just my $.02