PDA

View Full Version : Remote Start for Manual (1999.5)

Mazarin
11-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Do any of you guys know if installing a remote starter will void my warranty?

I went to a local place (Redline in Schaumburg for you Chicago Area guys) and they wanted almost $500 for parts and install for a remote start/alarm and said they'd have to bypass the stock alarm, and rewire all the locks. That sounds like BS to me, all I want is a starter. Anyone have any experience w/ this?

And any local guys have any reccomendations as to reputable installers?

Thanks much!

4ingDrive
11-23-2004, 02:57 PM
A remote starter will not void your warranty. The stock alarm is not bypassed but integrated along with the door locks. There is no rewiring involved. I've dealt with Redline before. They do mediocre work at best. Pm me if you're interested in a system. I'm in Hoffman Estates regularly.

skene
11-23-2004, 03:17 PM
You should call up more specialized audio shops in your area for better pricing. I've seen remote starts priced at $200+ in my area installed.

4ingDrive
11-23-2004, 03:25 PM
I've seen $200 starts too, but you get what you pay for. $500 is not unreasonable for a quality piece that's well installed.

skene
11-23-2004, 03:28 PM
It's all about the installation..... remote start kits are cheap... so asking $500.00 for one is a bit rediculous. That's only if you are talking... remote start..... starter kill..... etc etc etc.....

derek2079
11-23-2004, 04:15 PM
k i know this sounds retarted but i was over at wal mart and i saw they had a remote car start there for like 40$. i read the package and it said easy 4 minute install and whatnot. obviously its not the highest quality stuff but if you want a simple remote start and install it yourself. maybe its not a bad option

jones3000
11-23-2004, 04:22 PM
it's a bit tricky though with a manual. You could do a lot of damage if the car is left in gear. $500 is VERY high.

derek2079
11-23-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by jones3000
it's a bit tricky though with a manual. You could do a lot of damage if the car is left in gear. $500 is VERY high.

there is a way to wire it so car wont start if left in gear

jones3000
11-23-2004, 05:03 PM
True, but fooling around with the electrical wiring in an audi was always highly warned by my service advisors as a no-no. . . and I trust them. at least when it pertains to me. . . .[:D]

EVIL-AUDI
11-23-2004, 06:15 PM
No there is not a way to wire it if the car is in gear. To even metion a "WALMART" product is ridiculous totally. Doing a remote start in a manual is not that easy and especially not in our cars. I think I'd know since I have one in my car. $500 sounds high to me, and no you don't have t rewire the locks at all. The drivers lock is on the same side and the rest of the doors are controlled via the passenger side..

BoostinA4
11-23-2004, 06:17 PM
anyone do a DIY'er on this??

EVIL-AUDI
11-23-2004, 06:20 PM
haha, No way. Have yet to see one done. I've not even seen agravic do one. There is much involved in the installation. For me doing electrical work comes easily. I'd hate to explain in.

Bigblk4
11-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Mazarin
Do any of you guys know if installing a remote starter will void my warranty?

I went to a local place (Redline in Schaumburg for you Chicago Area guys) and they wanted almost $500 for parts and install for a remote start/alarm and said they'd have to bypass the stock alarm, and rewire all the locks. That sounds like BS to me, all I want is a starter. Anyone have any experience w/ this?

And any local guys have any reccomendations as to reputable installers?

Thanks much!

Ok If you want a local guy Alex at Pro Audio Security in Roselle might be able to help you. He talked with me about a remote start for my car (manual as well) and might be able to point you in the right direction give him a call and tell him Audi Todd sent ya!
(630) 295-8523

Mazarin
11-23-2004, 09:09 PM
AWESOME! Thanks so much guys!

VRsic
11-23-2004, 11:22 PM
Mazarin, give me a call tomarrow at work. I will talk to you about what you need. Alot of the comments on here are untrue or missleading.

I'll PM you my phone number.

quattro30v
11-24-2004, 01:00 AM
agravic found a way to make it work, well somewhat.... i have the magnetic switch that he gave me but i never had time to install and mount it to my shifter.

i have the aladdin for a year now and never had problems... i never leave my car in gear, so it's safe to start my car. i dont usually remote start it unless it's really cold out that i need my heater to warm up the interior before i come in [:D]

EVIL-AUDI
11-24-2004, 08:29 AM
Exactly^^, You'd need a seperate switch to make the car not able to be started in gear.

Quattrokai
11-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Compustar alarms werk hand in hand with the factory, had mine for a while with remote start, FLAWLESS!