PDA

View Full Version : Question about tools

heliotrpic
11-18-2004, 07:03 PM
I need tools to work on my car and I don't have any knowledge about what a good tool set consists of.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00933354000&subcat=Mechanics+Tool+Sets

Would this be a good beginner tool set for someone who is trying to build a set of tools to work on cars?

EVIL-AUDI
11-18-2004, 07:11 PM
I don't see why not. Once you have the basics, you can peice together as yo go along, the more you need. Extensions are great to have. Bolts in these cars always seem to be in PITA areas to reach.

cbass
11-18-2004, 08:25 PM
Yeah, that looks like a great one, I would definately follow Evil's suggestion and add to the set as needed. One thing I would not go without is a swivel extension for the ratchet. They are great to get into tight places. You will find with Audi's that you will need some special tools, and you can just buy those as you go.

heliotrpic
11-18-2004, 08:27 PM
thanks for the guidance

karl

HotSauce
11-18-2004, 08:29 PM
Craftsman is the greatest. All their hand tools are guaranteed forever. Also, pick up a nice set of Torx bits or wrenches if they dont' come with the set.

fanuvbrak
11-19-2004, 05:22 AM
i just got this one from qvc. i like that there's a specific place for each socket/wrench. after ten years, the sockets in my other craftsman set are scattered around three states.

http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?class=0011&tmp=hp&cont=sn

audisnapr
11-19-2004, 05:57 AM
Make sure that set has a good assortment of metric sockets. A lot of times Craftsmen doesn't give you a 10mm or a 12mm or something like that in the set. And of course, the 10 & 12mm is the one you use most on the Audi (don't quote me on the sizes, but they do skip certain necessary items). That goes likewise for the wrenches.

You will probably need to pick up an allen socket set as well (in addition to the torx set), for torque'g allen bolts - from the looks of the photo, the allen keys supplied in the set might not be the larger sizes needed for brake upgrades and service. Don't forget a torque wrench if you don't already have one. There are things on the car that you want to make sure are torqued to the correct spec. for peace of mind. Hand tightening sometimes just isn't enough - or sometimes is too much and you can strip the threads.

And I agree with cbass - a swivel extension is a good addition to the set. Make sure to get a swivel extension that fits your torque wrench (3/8" or 1/2") so that you can torque hard to access nuts/bolts.

But yes, like Evil said, it is a good starting point. Once you get the set, you will find out what you need as you work on the car and you will be making more trips to Sears to pick up what you need.

A4 in SC
11-19-2004, 06:08 AM
Also, if you have a Lowe's near you, keep in mind that they carry Cobalt tools. They are manufactured by JH Williams which is a division of Snap-On.. Also a lifetime warranty.

skene
11-19-2004, 06:36 AM
I agree with everyone here...
What I will also tell you is to purchase a spare cheap set of open end/box wrenches that way you can modify them as needed. I've had to bend a few to get into certain areas... thats where the cheap ones come in handy.
Definately have to purchase Metric as well.

EVIL-AUDI
11-19-2004, 10:00 AM
I personally always bought Snap-On. Haven't been able to get anything new in a while as my dealer moved away. He lived right down the street

greski
11-19-2004, 11:55 AM
A set of crows feet is really helpful. They work great when taking the guide pins out of the rear calipers. But like others have said, allen sockets are nice, and hex bits. Oh and a huge hammer for when you get pissed at a stripped bolt.

sumpsfast
11-19-2004, 03:54 PM
HEX^^^^needed those way more than once. Also another nice addition might be the magnetic, or padded spark plug socket.

jjjoe
11-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Unless you have some other vehicle that makes all of the standard sockets and wrenches useful, this seems like a lot of non-metric stuff. Sears is big on combining the tools. That makes about half of them useless.