PDA

View Full Version : what is a good price for having a box built to fit flush in my trunk?

derek2079
11-18-2004, 12:52 PM
the boards have inspired me once again. and i am going to call around and ask some shops. i dont know what a box that fit flush in my trunk would go for. can anyone give me some ideas? ported or sealed and whatnot

ECA4
11-18-2004, 12:54 PM
If you were in NJ I would be able to hook you up. My friend owns an electronics store and does all stereo installs.

MKGIY
11-18-2004, 12:55 PM
One Million dollars, no clue casue you didnt specify what will be going on the box, one sub, two subs, amps, etc.... that will affect the design and the price.

Mike

derek2079
11-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by MKGIY
One Million dollars, no clue casue you didnt specify what will be going on the box, one sub, two subs, amps, etc.... that will affect the design and the price.

Mike

2 12's 1200 infinity perfect kappa. 2300 watt 801x rockford amp. i dont even know it would be nice to get some ideas on some setups. if anyone is willing to share pictures of theirs

marked001
11-18-2004, 01:28 PM
the boxes that go in where the tool kit is are pretty clean/stealth..

derek2079
11-18-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by marked001
the boxes that go in where the tool kit is are pretty clean/stealth..
i like those except for i have 2 12's's and i dont know how it would sound i want to be able to hear it

SeanF
11-18-2004, 01:42 PM
i would do it for you for around 150 plus materials... depending how long it takes...

derek2079
11-18-2004, 01:44 PM
ported or sealed? and how much would materials run me?

Zodiak
11-18-2004, 01:49 PM
if you remove the trunk liners, you could make 2 nice sized boxes for your 12s (this would have to be fiberglass+MDF work you did yourself, a shop would charge you $1000 easy to do such work). It's not hard, just time consuming.

To build a box flush to your trunk, you could do a setup similar to my old one
http://apollo.ascelon.net/cars/blitz/trunk4mini.jpg
but instead of having 1 sub and 2 amps, put the amp in the middle and the subs on opposite sides of it. First build the box out of cardboard (making sure it's built to the proper air volumes for your subs), cut the cardboard to snugly fit the shape of the sides of your trunk. Once you're satisfied with the fit, trace the cardboard shape onto some MDF, cut the MDF, glue/screw everything together, seal up the holes cover the outside with contact cement, lay some carpetting on it, and bam, you're done. That shouldn't cost you more than $100-150 vs +$300 you'll have to pay to get someone else to do it.

Zodiak
11-18-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by A4Shon1.8TQM
i would do it for you for around 150 plus materials... depending how long it takes...
you'll have to ship that to Utah

SeanF
11-18-2004, 01:51 PM
materials would be like $50, but shipping would be a bitch, i was just giving you that as an example, so you dont pay too much at a shop...

unless its a slot ported box, that shouldnt affect price, because most shops use pvc pipe to port, and that should cost much extra

slot ported boxes, on the other hand, take longer...

derek2079
11-18-2004, 02:17 PM
damn zodiak that is a nice setup i think im going to do my own. where do you get the carpet materails from?

Zodiak
11-18-2004, 02:35 PM
got mine from a local audio shop. Just call around.

AudiMV
11-18-2004, 03:15 PM
go with custom fiberglass if you have the money to spend, cost you around a thousand bucks but the end result is way more unique and better to look at than any old box.......

Brrman
11-18-2004, 03:24 PM
yes we all have a thousand bucks to throw around on a sub enclosure... jesus

EVIL-AUDI
11-18-2004, 05:11 PM
Why don't you just go and ask a location, instead of posting every thought that comes to mind.

fanuvbrak
11-19-2004, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by EVIL-AUDI
Why don't you just go and ask a location, instead of posting every thought that comes to mind.

derek -

at what point will you run out of either money or mods?

i'd wait on the sub, because it might make fitting the widescreen plasma tv with the built in wet bar and fold out bed in the back more difficult.

skene
11-19-2004, 06:25 AM
no thats actually possible to fit everything else if you're a Barbie doll.

quattroanillos5
11-19-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by ECA4
If you were in NJ I would be able to hook you up. My friend owns an electronics store and does all stereo installs.

where in jersey is his shop?

skene
11-19-2004, 06:56 AM
I like the idea of visiting a place and asking them what it will cost... Especially for this reason.. you want to pick the place that has the best experience... and that you feel comfortable working with. It's always not about price cause you can pay a lot for crap.. and get treated like crap because the company was just a few dollars cheaper.
I would rather pay a little more to be treated like a person than a $ figure.
These guys are no help to you since you are in the middle of west bumblefuct.

A4 in SC
11-19-2004, 07:27 AM
My God. C'mon man. You really need to go investigate and get prices from local shops. Sure you can buy enclosures online, as well as most anything else. That doesn't mean you should buy EVERYTHING online. Shipping is going to cost you out the @$$, and you won't know if it'll or sound good until it's in your car.

If you would do some google searches on enclosure designs, and things of that nature, you'll see that it really isn't that hard to do. The materials are fairly cheap, but it is very labor-intensive.

Mike

buck
11-19-2004, 07:43 AM
From what I’ve learnt over the years about boxes:

Ported:

If properly tuned, you can gain around 3dB over a sealed box.
Ported requires a little more cubic volume.
Tube and slotted type ports should be properly tuned to the speaker.
Ported doesn’t reproduce a ‘tight’ bass at higher frequencies (roughly 75-120Hz, or the ‘punchy’ bass that comes from your subs)
Ported will hit lower frequencies harder than a sealed box.
At low bass frequencies, bass can sound ‘flappy’

Sealed:

Takes less cubic volume generally.
Reproduces a ‘tighter’ bass, but will not hit as hard at lower frequencies as a ported box would.

Tips for a sealed box: if running 2 subs, make a divider rather than just one shared open area. Having braces in the box are recommended. Don’t make the box a perfect square, try to have an angled surface – it has something to do with the wavelengths inside the box bouncing right back into the speaker which can cause some sort of minor SQ problems. It may be that the wavelengths may cross and cancel each other out slightly.

Overall, I like the sound of a sealed box better. Over the subs frequency bandwidth, I’ve found that a sealed box sounds cleaner. A sealed box will also be cheaper to make. A shop shouldn’t charge you more than $150-$200 for a solid, properly spec’d sealed box. My ported box was around the $1000 mark due to it being vinyl covered fiberglass.