PDA

View Full Version : Used Audi ATF smells like dog poo?

377Z
04-12-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm no stranger to the smell of ATF, new and used. However, yesterday when I changed the fluid I noticed it smelled EXACTLY like dog shit thats been out in the sun for a while. [confused] No joke; I thought it was really odd. Car is a 2004 3.0Q tip.

Anyone else ever notice this?

While I'm here, anyone ever install a remote spin on trans filter on a B6? Can't have too much filtration, and its a great place to put a thermocouple. I did it on my Explorer but there's plenty of room there, not really with the Audi. Where did you put the filter?

diagnosticator
04-25-2009, 03:27 AM
The only way to add a filter is inline in the hose to or from the trans oil cooler in the radiator end tank.

377Z
04-27-2009, 06:12 AM
That's basically how I did it on the Explorer though there the lines were metal, so I cut them and added a slight bubble flare to the ends so the hose clamps would have something to butt up against. Then, I ran the hoses to one of those remote spin on oil filter housings.

I ran across a filter that is marketed as specifically for inline trans cooler line installation called 'Magnafine.' Apparently it features a magnet, & does have a bypass valve. Personally, I'm more a fan of an arrangement that uses a standard spin on filter like I did on my truck, but I guess I'll depend on whether I can find a spot to mount it that isn't too far from the hoses, I still need to get under it to get a good look around.