PDA

View Full Version : Playing TAPS: B5 S4 Tranny D.O.A.

G.O.A.T.
04-12-2009, 06:01 AM
2001.5 B5 S4
106,000 Miles
All scheduled work done up to now.

Just this week on Friday. Driving off to Petco park, exited the freeway. First seemed a bit notchy...then when attempting to put it into 2nd it just felt like nothing was attached. Like the shift knob was just floating around. There is no resistance whatsoever. I'm at 107k now and pissed!!! So all I have is a sketchy 1st gear, just enough to tow it back to Coronado Naval Base. Then I uhauled it to Genesis in Rancho Cucamonga where it lay, they've done all my work and outstanding I might add. Additionally:When I thought I had it in neutral, I let go of the clutch and it stalled, so it's def. stuck in 1st. The clutch is fine. Just 40k on it and I never burn or mistreat it whatsoever. I'm hoping it's not the tranny as a whole but probably time for a rebuild. Any thoughts or ideas would help. I would rather not play TAPS on this just yet.

StuntManMike
04-12-2009, 06:20 AM
My trans never locked into a gear like yours. but I just had it rebuilt and a RS4 clutch put in "might as well put a new one in if you have it open" and it was just over 2k for the work.

not to bad really and the trans shifts nicer than it ever did before the rebuild.

good luck

timklb
04-12-2009, 11:42 AM
i got the stasis rebuild. it cost me about 3k but i think it was definitely worth the money. tranny has been going good and they gave me their center diff which is awesome.

or...

you can buy one from a yard? heres a guy on the classifieds:
http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=12117&cat=16

G.O.A.T.
04-13-2009, 12:00 PM
My trans never locked into a gear like yours. but I just had it rebuilt and a RS4 clutch put in "might as well put a new one in if you have it open" and it was just over 2k for the work.

not to bad really and the trans shifts nicer than it ever did before the rebuild.

good luck

yeah, my first clutch went out at 75k and I got the RS4 clutch. Good idea though, I'll probably have them resurface the flywheel or get a lightweight one.

G.O.A.T.
04-13-2009, 12:02 PM
i got the stasis rebuild. it cost me about 3k but i think it was definitely worth the money. tranny has been going good and they gave me their center diff which is awesome.

or...

you can buy one from a yard? heres a guy on the classifieds:
http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=12117&cat=16

THANKS A LOT!!!!! This will really help out. As soon as we know what it is (I'd rather just get a new tranny) then I'll contact this guy. Should be by Thursday.

G.O.A.T.
04-21-2009, 03:45 PM
looks like the shift support rod bushing was broken apart. Ordered a early model bushing from JHM, but needed a late model one.

Note: Make sure your shifter is a early or late model before ordering part. Don't just go by the model make date.

G.O.A.T.
04-21-2009, 09:50 PM
so here is the pic of the shift stablizer rod. My car is a early 01 model but most of the parts within are 01.5, including the rod you see in the pic.

Although, why would the shift stablizer being broken make it feel as if I lost linkage? It's just a stabilizer rod. Wouldnt the most it would be doing is loose shifting? Me thinks that the Shift linkage itself is busted. I hope not, we'll find out tomorrow when the new bushing is delivered by FedEX. I'll keep this updated. Pray for me...I can't stand to have to pay to rent a PT Cruiser again.

http://co111w.col111.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=39f9096e-b0e0-4bf7-9555-763ca7279c79&Aux=0|0|8CB9119D065D070|

G.O.A.T.
04-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Car is back in my ownership now. Bushing was installed, 1/2 gears are still choppy. Although thank goodness that it wasnt the synchros or a rebuild that were needed. The H&R/Bilstein Sport combo looks freakin sik yo! Pictures to come soon.