PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Fluid

A4pilot
11-16-2004, 04:03 PM
My tranny fluid(the red G-12 I think) is getting low. Anybody know where I can get some G-12 or something as good for the tranny besides the dealership? Or is it worth getting a tranny fluid flush and have them refill too. How much does that run at the dealership? My car is getting close to the 100K mark.

audispeed
11-16-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by AnjaBrendan
My tranny fluid(the red G-12 I think) is getting low. Anybody know where I can get some G-12 or something as good for the tranny besides the dealership? Or is it worth getting a tranny fluid flush and have them refill too. How much does that run at the dealership? My car is getting close to the 100K mark.

i think you may be talking about coolant. you cant see the tranny fluid unless you get under the car and pull the plug. as for the rest, i dont really know.

skene
11-16-2004, 05:59 PM
Correct...

The G12 is coolant.

Trans fluid is sealed.. have a VW or Audi or even a European Independent shop replace the fluids.

A4pilot
11-17-2004, 09:08 AM
Ok, How do you tell if your tranny fluid is low? Just assume it is fine if the car isn't shifting hard? Does anyone else think 100k is a good time for a tranny fluid flush? Any idea how much the dealership charges for the flush and refill?

audispeed
11-17-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by AnjaBrendan
Ok, How do you tell if your tranny fluid is low? Just assume it is fine if the car isn't shifting hard? Does anyone else think 100k is a good time for a tranny fluid flush? Any idea how much the dealership charges for the flush and refill?

I have all the things i need to do mine, I just have to stop being lazy and actually do it. My car has 100k, I cant imagine going much past this without changing the tranny and rear diff fluids. Its not really a hard process, you just need to pull the drain plugs, and then fill then fill it back up using the fill plug. The one catch is the tranny draing plug requires a special bit to get out. Other then that, it is pretty simple. As far as checking the level, you have to pull the fill plug, the fluid level should be even with the bottom of the plug hole.

alen
11-17-2004, 11:29 AM
audispeed, do you know where you can buy the drain plug besides the dealership?

cbass
11-17-2004, 12:02 PM
I don't know if you'll find it anywhere besides the dealership. Maybe a junkyard would sell you one.

About the tranny fluid fill/check/change. You can't do a tranny fluid "flush" on audis like you can on other cars because you both fill it and drain it from the bottom. The best thing to do is to change the fluid with the filter because you only can change about 2.6 liters out of a total of 9 liters during any one change. The rest stays up in the torque converter and up in the hydraulic lines of the tranny.

If you can do it yourself, and you are already at 100K, I would highly recommend doing a regular fluid change first, then a few thousand miles down the road do another one and replace the filter at the time of the second change. Reason being, after 100K the fluid is in really bad shape despite what audi says. I changed mine just a little while ago (104K) and it was really dark gray. I changed it the first time to make the fluid "better" overall. I will be doing the filter change in the spring sometime.

The reason I did the fluid change first and then plan on doing the filter later is because if you were to just change the fluid and filter the first time and then not worry about it you are still left with (9-2.6 = 7.4 Liters) 7.4 liters of really bad tranny oil in there. And your new filter will get all clogged up on just trying to clean up the rest. If you change the fluid first, then drive for a while, when you go to change the filter, the fluid that does get stuck in the tranny will be quite a bit cleaner already so your new filter that you put in should last longer. Does that make sense?

When you go to fill it, you have to make sure you have a really good oil pump that won't cause the ATF to foam. If it foams, you run the risk of the foam being sucked up into the tranny and then you'll get bad/harsh shifts and it's just not good for your tranny. That's why audi uses a gravity operated pump similar to the one I made here

http://img92.exs.cx/img92/9643/VAG1924_2.jpg

The gravity helps eliminate the frothing/foaming that you sometimes get with pumps. don't get me wrong, pumps do work, you just have to be careful.

Here's a pic of the filler hole on the bottom of the transmission

http://img115.exs.cx/img115/5399/CopyofTransfillerhole.jpg

You can see it's a big hole, but that the plastic cap thing narrows it down quite a bit, so make sure the tubing that you're using can fit in that hole. I would say it's about 1/2 of an inch square.

Then, after you have filled it until it starts dribbling out, you have to start the car and shift through all the gears, leaving it in each gear for about 15 seconds. Then put it back to "park." Keep the car running and keep filling it until it starts running out again. You have to be monitoring the ATF temp with a VAG-COM the whole time and do not let it get above 45 degrees celsius. When it's at about 40 degrees, you'll know it's full if a little bit of ATF still dribbles out. Then, finally, make sure you have the filler plug back on and tightened before the temp reaches 45 degrees or it will be underfilled.

WHEW!

if anybody is going to do this, feel free to ask, it's really not that hard, you just have to know what you're doing.

audispeed
11-17-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by alen
audispeed, do you know where you can buy the drain plug besides the dealership?

the drain plug, or the drain plug tool? i dont really know where to get one other than the dealer, if you find out, let me know.

btw: i am talking for a manual tranny here

alen
11-17-2004, 12:48 PM
yes, i was talking about the drain plug.

cbass, great informative post for automatic tranny.