PDA

View Full Version : My car was stolen

Bigblk4
11-15-2004, 11:13 PM
My car was just stolen from a gas station by my house. Two guys jumped into it and drove off as I was paying for my gatorade. The police are looking for it. How do I go about figuring out if my car was damaged, do I run it under my insurance and do I pay the deductible. Please help!
Todd

A4 in SC
11-15-2004, 11:20 PM
Damn man, that sucks! I certainly hope you have a Police Report (assuming you do, since you said they were looking for it). If so, call your insurance company tomorrow and see what they say. It really doesn't matter if they damaged it or not, if it isn't recovered.

Hope for the best. In all honesty - if a couple of 'kids' take your car for a joy ride, it almost always ends up being wrecked.

Please, keep us informed!!!

AsianA408
11-15-2004, 11:20 PM
oh shizzle, let the police find it, then take a look at it yourself. if it looks like things are going wrong, then turn it over to insurance man. it might never feel the same.

WhippeD
11-15-2004, 11:42 PM
aww damn..sorry to hear that man....did you leave the key inside or something?

OverSpun
11-15-2004, 11:55 PM
uh..... perhaps going inside to buy something isnt one of those times you want to leave your car running with the keys inside... i feel bad for you man... in more ways than one.

OutkastSL
11-15-2004, 11:58 PM
damn...that sucks, one reason why i don't leave my keys in the car when i'm not in it.

Bigblk4
11-16-2004, 12:02 AM
yeah I went in for a gatorade, was gone for <1 min came out and my shit was jacked. I had a my Bell and Ross watch ($2800) sitting in the arm rest as well as a few other personal items in it. I also have a fully sponsored car from blaupunkt so I have stereo equiptment in it. I got a call from the cops and they said that they think they are following my car right now. we will see. I live in a really nice neighborhood and never thought this shit would happen here. I always turn my car off and lock it when I am not by my place. This is just so surreal to me. I will keep you guys posted and thanks so much for the support. I called insurance and opened a claim just incase.
Todd

OutkastSL
11-16-2004, 12:40 AM
ouch...that watch and the stereo missing is gonna hurt!

Bigblk4
11-16-2004, 01:08 AM
they recoved the car, no damage everything intact. I am going over the car with a fine tooth comb and making sure there was no damage. Thanks everyone for the support, Audizine is a helluva group and helped make this a tad bit smoother. Tomorrow I pick the car up and press charges.
Good night,
Todd

JMG
11-16-2004, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Bigblk4
they recoved the car, no damage everything intact. I am going over the car with a fine tooth comb and making sure there was no damage. Thanks everyone for the support, Audizine is a helluva group and helped make this a tad bit smoother. Tomorrow I pick the car up and press charges.
Good night,
Todd

Take a lead pipe to those kids next time you see them.

JG A4
11-16-2004, 03:55 AM
HAHAHA

HotSauce
11-16-2004, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by JMG
Take a lead pipe to those kids next time you see them.

Exactly!

A4 in SC
11-16-2004, 06:55 AM
Thank goodness they found your car. So they found the car with the theives still in it? Now that's even better. I know if someone EVER stole anything from me, especially my car, I'd make damn sure they'd get maximum punishment by law. And if that wasn't good enough, I'd see if 'a few guys I know' could help out a little...[;)]

sfordeso
11-16-2004, 07:03 AM
I'd prefer a golf club. More swing speed, and a hulluva indent

jones3000
11-16-2004, 07:52 AM
glad to hear your car is recovered. lesson learned. these days, the "nice" neighborhoods are the ones being targeted. even rich people steal.

heliotrpic
11-16-2004, 08:10 AM
did you find your watch?

SeanF
11-16-2004, 08:40 AM
nows the time to press charges and decide if you want to sue for emotional distress (not that i recomment lawsuits, but if someone stole my car, i would)

you dont know how they drove your car while they had it... you might want to have fluids changed, and if you did choose to hit them with a lawsuit that money could come in useful if they did cause un-noticed damage to the engine or drivetrain...

Bigblk4
11-16-2004, 10:28 AM
well the car was not as lucky as I hoped. The rear brakes are shot (left e-brake on I guess) clutch stinks (had it less than a month and a half with under 1000 miles on it) front brakes are warped, fender dented, bumper hit (paint is star cracked), winshield cracked, Rim and tire scraped bad (dunno if this will be covered under insurance) Amp blown (brand new 2 months old) rear deck speakers rattle (not sure if cone is shot or if it just shook itself loose) I know these two wont be covered. And to top it off the fools smoked something in my car and burned the A pillar. The car was found in an alleyway of one of the guy's parents house in the ghetto. Ignorant ****s, with no respect for people's property. I am getting a hold of the insurance to see if I can't get the car serviced at the dealership. I am thinking with a vag-com they will be able to see if the car was bounced off the rev-limiter correct?

Bigblk4
11-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by heliotrpic
did you find your watch?

Yeah weird thing all my personal items were in the car, all CD's, jacket, and watch. I guess the police rolled up on the guy so he didnt have any chance of removing stuff from the car. I guess I am lucky in that respect.

Audimarc
11-16-2004, 10:37 AM
Forget the lead pipe, bring a gallon of gas and a few matches.

Viper966
11-16-2004, 10:47 AM
insurance will cover anything that happened to the car duing this incideent...

UberProJect2.8
11-16-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by 1999 Audi A4
Forget the lead pipe, bring a gallon of gas and a few matches.

^^Scarey

Bigblk4
11-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Viper966
insurance will cover anything that happened to the car duing this incideent...

I just got off the phone, stereo stuff I am SOL when it comes to my auto insurance, I would have to run it under homeowners. The clutch should be replace, all body work will be done, and the brakes should be fixed (but I am not sure if they will go aftermarket value) We shall see

SeanF
11-16-2004, 11:54 AM
you only go off your homeowners insurance if it was aftermarket (which you said yours is)

for anyones future reference, if it was stock stereo, it would be covered under auto...

if your insurance doesnt cover it, the theives are liable for it, thats what i was talking about in a lawsuit... document all the damage, and have them pay for it, rather then going through your insurance....

AudiMan
11-16-2004, 12:07 PM
that sucks man with your stuff inside, besides that, I wish someone would steal my car, so i can get insurance money and get a new one. This B5 is turning out to be a POS. Time to step up to an M3 any month now. Gonna start parting out soon, start saving up for a nice set of Angstroms kids.

sumpsfast
11-16-2004, 12:18 PM
I $hit you not, my Rodeo was stolen from a gas station a couple years ago.......while I was paying for my gatorade. That is eery!

EVIL-AUDI
11-16-2004, 02:58 PM
Good to hear you got it back.

Steve24
11-16-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by AudiMan
that sucks man with your stuff inside, besides that, I wish someone would steal my car, so i can get insurance money and get a new one. This B5 is turning out to be a POS. Time to step up to an M3 any month now. Gonna start parting out soon, start saving up for a nice set of Angstroms kids.

you think M3's are cheap to fix? [eek] they break down... get a warrenty or dont get a M3 unless your uber rich. talking from experience [:(]

glad your car is back [cool]

kassper
11-16-2004, 03:41 PM
so wait...if you have aftermarket how does it get covered under homeowners? Does it cover everything aftermarket? Who pays for that? My friend got his stereo jacked and said it happened at his house and he didnt have to pay anything..is that the same thing that it has to be at your house for it to be payed for? Could someone explain

MR VTEC
11-16-2004, 03:41 PM
oem audi parts cost more than most aftermarket parts.

Bigblk4
12-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Just got my car back after a month of being in the shop. It is A-OK and cant wait to start putting miles on it again!

JMG
12-16-2004, 05:19 PM
congrats man, glad everything turned out A-OK

Kruat
12-16-2004, 05:23 PM
Nice, glad to hear everything worked out.

sfordeso
12-16-2004, 05:38 PM
I was actually just going to ask about this today...

RippleChip
12-16-2004, 06:13 PM
Glad to hear you're back in the drivers seat.

Zodiak
12-16-2004, 08:14 PM
glad everything is alright. I hope this is a lesson learned.

jjjoe
12-16-2004, 08:25 PM
You should be able to take the insurance check and spend it any way you see fit. Big sigh of relief on getting your car back!

DRA4
12-16-2004, 09:01 PM
Get an remote starter for your car, and i won't leave my car on to go pay for some pos not even for half a second.

Bigblk4
12-16-2004, 10:27 PM
yeah it was a lesson learned the hard way. Good thing is after driving the Cavalier for a month straight I really appreciate my car more! [:D]

OutkastSL
12-16-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Bigblk4
yeah it was a lesson learned the hard way. Good thing is after driving the Cavalier for a month straight I really appreciate my car more! [:D]

lol...glad its back in your hands.

AudiMV
12-16-2004, 10:39 PM
i cant wait to get my car back! after a month of driving my moms minivan!

organasised
12-17-2004, 05:08 AM
Glad you got it back

yup learn the lesson- In the UK if your car was stolen like this, the insurance company would deem you as neglient and thus deny your claim

wouldn`t get anything back at all.

94jedi
12-17-2004, 05:29 AM
Wow, glad you got your car back. I hope those punks that stole your car get theirs in the end.

fanuvbrak
12-17-2004, 07:03 AM
just curious...did you get in any trouble for leaving the car running? i had a friend of mine whose car was jacked in a similar situation and he got a ticket (pretty expensive) for negligence or some such nonsense.

glad the car's okay.

robert
12-17-2004, 08:32 AM
been reading this full thread and i was suprised to see how confident you guy's were that the insurance would pay out, and also that they did. if that happened in the uk the insurance company would blame the owner for leaving the car running unattended and wriggle themselves out of a payout. thay must be very generous in the states[[:)]

glad to hear you got it all sorted out.

what happened to the thieving scum anyway?

EC Motorwerks
12-17-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by OverSpun
uh..... perhaps going inside to buy something isnt one of those times you want to leave your car running with the keys inside... i feel bad for you man... in more ways than one.
Ok. Mr. Perfect [rolleyes]

Audimarc
12-17-2004, 10:08 AM
Congrats! How's it feel?

69Muscle
12-17-2004, 10:16 AM
THat's crazy! Did you see them? That's one thing about driving these type cars. That wouldn't happen if you were driving a Chevy Malibu.

Bigblk4
12-17-2004, 10:49 AM
Well i recieved no ticket and they did catch the guys (they are pushing for Grand Theft Auto). I think the insurance company was working with me because they caught the guy. The car feels great (a lot more nimble than the cavalier). The only thing that is going to take some time getting used to is the brakes. I switched from a Mintex Red box pad/Zimmermann rotors to a Mintex Full Ceramic/zimmermann rotor. The intial bite is not there but then they heat up and grab on for dear life. I like the newer pads but i will have to use them on the track to fully appreciate them. I am really glad that they caught the guys and recovered my car, I dont really know what i would have purchased if they just cut a check and said be done with it. I agree it was not the wisest of moves on my part but my neighborhood is safe and I would never think that something like this would happen (again hindsight is always 20/20) I cant understand why a insurance company wouldnt pay out. If you left your second story window open and left the house and a burglar kicked in the front door would they pay? Yes I was not wise in my decision but it still doesnt give the crooks the right to steal my car. I think if there were laws in place like that I would boost cars all the time that were unlocked (it would be a "Get Out Of Jail Free Card".

MR VTEC
12-17-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by DRA4
Get an remote starter for your car, and i won't leave my car on to go pay for some pos not even for half a second.
That's because your from the city... [:p]

Bigblk4
12-17-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by MR VTEC
That's because your from the city... [:p]

Agreed I am in the burbs and the craziest stuff that happens is someones cat gets stuck up in a tree[:D]

lilegbeaner16
12-17-2004, 11:05 AM
Glad to hear that you got your car back