PDA

View Full Version : lady here with a problem....

jass785
11-15-2004, 01:23 PM
ok, for some reason after a week or so.. i have to add another quart of oil. i don't know what is going on. i have changed the valve cover gasket. does anyone know why my car keeps on leaking oil.. i mean.. it must be burning away or something cuz i never have oil spots.... please help!!!! thanks! -jasmine

1996 AUDI A4 2.8
~143,000 miles.

MR VTEC
11-15-2004, 01:25 PM
check all the seals. and other gaskets...

jass785
11-15-2004, 01:53 PM
i talked to some audi guy.. and he said it could be something to do with the pistons???

RedRocket
11-15-2004, 01:59 PM
It could have something to do with the pistons? Maybe piston rings.

Is there any blue/black smoke? that would be an indication of burning oil. How many Kms/miles on the engine?

jass785
11-15-2004, 02:02 PM
no smoke.... just runs out of oil. 141,000 miles.. quite a few

sighpost
11-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Any spots on your drive way or garage where you park the car?

jefferson88
11-15-2004, 03:27 PM
If it isn't burning the oil it has to be leaking....

skene
11-15-2004, 04:37 PM
You may have to get the Cam seals replaced. This is a common leak area when all else has been replaced.

Hope this helps.

jass785
11-15-2004, 05:04 PM
no spots in driveway..

thanks for all the replies!!!

Pureaudi
11-15-2004, 05:26 PM
if you run full synthetic oil, its thinner, so its more prone to leak in smaller cracks or holes, than regular oil.

audispeed
11-15-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by skene
You may have to get the Cam seals replaced. This is a common leak area when all else has been replaced.

Hope this helps.

definitely, if they havent been done, the cam tensioner and cam seals may need to be replaced. with that many miles, unless they have been done already, i gaurantee they could use replacement. will that account for a quart a week, i dont know, you may have a problem elsewhere as well. my car was leaking from the cam tensioner seals, cam seals, valve cover gaskets, and oil pan gasket, all at 100k. Opened up the engine, near zero sludge or any visible wear on the cams. My mechanic (who I was working with and is a friend of mine) commented on how good the engine looked inside. Your car may be high mileage, but it could be in great condition inside if you took care of it. There is only one way to find out. Seals go over time, dont get too discouraged.

edit: btw, no oil spots in my driveway, I only smelt burning oil at stoplights and saw it all over the belly pan.

alen
11-15-2004, 06:34 PM
all right so you have a 12v with 143kmi. that is a lot of miles and you must expect the car to burn oil. you said that you've replaced the valve cover gasket but have you looked at the pan valley gasket? when you take off your intake manifold there is a thin gasket that can sometimes cause significant leakage.

however, losing 1qt in a week would mean that there is something serious about that. see about the above mentioned gasket and check your oil every couple of days to see where you're at.

good luck.

VtAudi
11-15-2004, 06:44 PM
Get an additive or oil conditioner that seals gaskets and small leaks, and yes, cam sensor seals are probably bad w/ that many miles, you wont see leaks because its right above your exhaust, so it just drips and burns off, when it gets worse you'll see smoke come in the vents.

jass785
11-15-2004, 08:33 PM
thanks everyone, i have an appointment with a local audi shop in a few days.. i would say that i would have to put in a u quart or so every 2k miles or so... hopefully they can figure it out and i can have my brother replace whatver needs to be replaced.. thanks for all the help...

-jasmine

jass785
11-15-2004, 08:34 PM
where can i get the additive or oil conditioner at??

cbass
11-15-2004, 08:36 PM
You said it doesn't burn oil, but it might be worth doing a compression check anyway to make sure the rings are still holding up. If the compression test checks out, I would definately suggest the cam seals and cam adjuster seals too. Mine went out not too long ago, although I did see oil in the drive with that. Good luck with it, and post back on what the problem was/is.

VtAudi
11-16-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by jass785
where can i get the additive or oil conditioner at??

Any autoparts place has some form of it, but the best in my opinion is some stuff in a smaller white bottle, forget what its called but I think its like D-10 or something like that, I'll look next time in picking something up.

jones3000
11-16-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by skene

Hope this helps.

had this same problem. This was the issue.

MR VTEC
11-16-2004, 03:46 PM
i just drove about 5k miles and the oil was gone. is that normal [confused] i didn't top off. And im due for an oil change.

jass785
11-16-2004, 06:49 PM
just bought a bottle of that lucas oil conditioner stuff.. my brother is gna change my oil tomorrow.. so we'll see what happens.. thanks everyone for your input.