PDA

View Full Version : b5 secrets

SeanF
11-15-2004, 12:53 PM
hey, anybody know of any secrets of the b5?

things that go un noticed?

theres a thread in the b6 forum about stuff people are just noticing in there cars...

i want to know of some things i may not have noticed...

greski
11-15-2004, 01:11 PM
I dunno if this a secret to anyone else, but whenever I put my rear view mirror in "night mode" I would always get the reflection of the dome lights. But then I discovered a plastic flap that folds down to eliminate the reflection of the dome lights.
I thought it was pretty snazzy!

A4Rob
11-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by greski
I dunno if this a secret to anyone else, but whenever I put my rear view mirror in "night mode" I would always get the reflection of the dome lights. But then I discovered a plastic flap that folds down to eliminate the reflection of the dome lights.
I thought it was pretty snazzy!

Isnt that for the sun when it is right inbetween the visors? I dont know but that is what i assumed it is for.

greski
11-15-2004, 01:16 PM
I never thought about that....maybe it can be used for both?

jones3000
11-15-2004, 01:20 PM
there's like a million things.

1. program windows to open with just the remote.

2. climatronic can display up to 65 features. some are RPM's, KM, oil temp, etc. You can even check engine codes

3. You can add more bass to your bose system by holding down 5 and the power button, then changing the setting to 88698869.

4. The interior lights turn on like in an airplane. First the guages, then the radio, then the other lights.

5. Press the RDS button and it displays the names of songs from the radio.

There's so much more to list. Just search and a few will come up. Also, check AW.

OnE.8T
11-15-2004, 01:24 PM
more bass? okay so i hold down 5 and the power button. on my stereo the power button is the volume knob right in the middle. i'm assuming that's what your talking about. but what setting do you change? will it be so much bass that my interior speakers will blow?

A4_wantanabe
11-15-2004, 01:27 PM
your radio will work without the key

OverSpun
11-15-2004, 01:30 PM
i thought you held scan, or RDS AND 5 and turned the power on? i used the hidden EQ on my car and thast what i did.

audispeed
11-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by jones3000

2. climatronic can display up to 65 features. some are RPM's, KM, oil temp, etc. You can even check engine codes

3. You can add more bass to your bose system by holding down 5 and the power button, then changing the setting to 88698869.

4. The interior lights turn on like in an airplane. First the guages, then the radio, then the other lights.

There's so much more to list. Just search and a few will come up. Also, check AW.

more, more, more [:D]

EVIL-AUDI
11-15-2004, 02:12 PM
I can't believe anyone didn't already know about these things.
BTW the climate control features only work once, then go away the next time you urn the car off and on. You'd have to reprogram it everytime if you wanted to use it for those features.

pierce
11-15-2004, 02:19 PM
I see this everywhere, and I feel like a n00b squared, but what is AW?

Bigblk4
11-15-2004, 02:21 PM
how do you do the remote window mod? I know for Vee Dubs you had to buy a modulator to control it (alien Tech I believe) but they dont offer it for the A4.

EVIL-AUDI
11-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by plerce
I see this everywhere, and I feel like a n00b squared, but what is AW?

AW = Audiworld

The window mods as with most mods for our cars of this nature, must be done with a VAG

SeanF
11-15-2004, 02:23 PM
you use a vag-com to change it in the central locking system

AudiMV
11-15-2004, 02:24 PM
if you leave your windows open and get out of the car put your key in the car door turn and hold and your windows come up and your alarm sets.......

quattro_maniac
11-15-2004, 02:37 PM
If you don't drive it so much, you'll save gas [;)]

a4rings
11-15-2004, 02:50 PM
alright i feel stupid asking this but once my check engine light came on and my uncle is a mechanic so he broght this computer thing over and pulled up the code, is this a vag? or can i use this to program the windows?

EVIL-AUDI
11-15-2004, 02:55 PM
A VAG is normally just the RossTech computer diagnostic program loaded onto somones laptop You just use the cable tochange the settings. What mecahnics use is normally something different. I"ve not seen codes changed with those instruments. Just cleared.

ItsJ
11-15-2004, 08:37 PM
alright i feel stupid asking this but once my check engine light came on and my uncle is a mechanic so he broght this computer thing over and pulled up the code, is this a vag? or can i use this to program the windows?

a4rings that is just an obd2 tester. it just reads the code and lets you erase it. you have to get that thing evil audi is talking about to program features

Skylinedc505
11-15-2004, 09:51 PM
I like how there's a fuse pliers on the inside fuse box cover, that was pretty neat! but yeah, that flap is so you can have the map lights on but not glare on the windshield.

A4 in SC
11-15-2004, 10:54 PM
Hmm, I've always used the flap above the rear view mirror. Actually, I took the screws out of it and turned it around. It's much more useful that way. OK, at least it is for me. It certainly helps keep the sun from glaring in!

Mike

jones3000
11-16-2004, 08:40 AM
Ok here goes. . .

1. To adjust the bose, it's didfferent depending on the model A4 you have. I have a 2000 and it's 5 and the power button, holding 5 first. For previous models, I believe it's the P.SCAN button. Holding down P. SCAN and a number. Some of these features are in your owners manual. We have speed seensitive voulme control with out

2. You will not need a control module to program the keyless windows. You need the right code and a VAG.

3. If you have the premuim package in your A4 and you have auto mirror dimming. Your rear and side view mirrors turn green at night if there is a bright beam.

4. We have speed sensitive voulme control with our cars.

Just go to AW's tech section, there's tons of stuff in there.

offroader1006
11-16-2004, 09:43 AM
wtf is up with the sunroof cracking when the heat is on and you turn it off?

when im on the freeway and i turn my heat all the way down, it cracks, when i turn it back on it goes down.

kinda wierd

fanuvbrak
11-16-2004, 11:13 AM
here's a secret that's probably well known but not discussed much:

when you have saved (or set aside) enough money for the mods you want, something will break on your car that uses at least half of the money saved.

i don't know how audi does it...

A4_wantanabe
11-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by fanuvbrak

when you have saved (or set aside) enough money for the mods you want, something will break on your car that uses at least half of the money saved.

so true... so true

jones3000
11-16-2004, 12:07 PM

funny.

EVIL-AUDI
11-16-2004, 01:28 PM
So sad, but so true.

buck
11-16-2004, 02:11 PM
there's also that secret button that disables the pressure sensors on the pillar between your front and rear drivers side doors!

e.van
11-16-2004, 02:12 PM
The EQ trick does not work on the 96 Bose stereo.

Other things with the '96 stereo:
-If you hold 'Mode' while turning on, CONNECT appears (assuming it's for the CD changer?)
-If you hold '3' while turning on, 'M' and a number appears, and you can cycle through 'D' (and a number) and 'S' (and a number) but cannot change any of them. Assuming they're for identification purposes?

Neo1130
11-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by buck
there's also that secret button that disables the pressure sensors on the pillar between your front and rear drivers side doors!

You mean motion sensors?

EVIL-AUDI
11-16-2004, 03:04 PM
Yeah, same thing.

D Piddy
11-16-2004, 06:40 PM
if u push both frotn seats all the way forward, there's some decent room in the back

BananaBoy_S4
11-16-2004, 06:48 PM
1. if you turn you rear defroster on the radio might lose its signal (some stations)

2. if you build it, he will come

PDRaudi
11-16-2004, 06:50 PM

how the hell does the little shit cost so much
why cant audi show a little love when something needs to be tuned
hey, i have a '00 a4 and im wondering what the red button near the left side of my drivers seat is for. i dont understand what the purpose is or anything

someone pm me answer, please

EVIL-AUDI
11-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by PDRaudi
how the hell does the little shit cost so much
why cant audi show a little love when something needs to be tuned
hey, i have a '00 a4 and im wondering what the red button near the left side of my drivers seat is for. i dont understand what the purpose is or anything

someone pm me answer, please

The answer is in this thread if you read through. The motion sensor switch.

BTW, stay on topic people.

PDRaudi
11-16-2004, 06:55 PM
or u can use ur hood and make like a ferrari
backseat hasnt been so great, foots are always getting stuck
i wonder if the 2006 willhave a bigger backseat area

D Piddy
11-16-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Pureaudi
yea dude that, or you can move the front seats all the way forward, and put the rear seats down, so you can just lay in the trunk area. it works like a charm.[:D]

done it! but it was still a little tight, my amps mounted under my deck didn't help with the height issue tho. good call!
[:D] [;)] [cool]

EVIL-AUDI
11-16-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by EVIL-AUDI
BTW, stay on topic people.

BoostinA4
11-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by derek2079
this is true but only midget sex because the car is somewhat small

correction! i am 6' 3" 200lbs and i can still get it on in the passenger seat

...lean the seat all the way back and down, and pray nobody sees you

BoostinA4
11-16-2004, 09:00 PM
sorry didnt know "gettin it on" secrets was off topic

sfordeso
11-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by BoostinA4
correction! i am 6' 3" 200lbs and i can still get it on in the passenger seat

...lean the seat all the way back and down, and pray nobody sees you

That is why i'm getting the "Limo Tint" soon. Ceramic, and only $100!!!!!!! Pays to know people

Pureaudi
11-16-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by sfordeso
That is why i'm getting the "Limo Tint" soon. Ceramic, and only $100!!!!!!! Pays to know people

haha watch, itll be all bubbly and peel off! hahaha! jkjkjk, show us pics when yout done. ill like to see how dark it is. front and back?[:D] [:p]

sfordeso
11-16-2004, 09:34 PM
Will do man. Gonna get all the windows but the front windshield done limo. not sure how dark the windshield's gonna go...

aussie_s4
11-16-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Neo1130
You mean motion sensors? Yes, but these sensors actually detect air pressure changes not motion. So if you leave your windows slightly open with the alarm set, the alarm can be set off by the wind.

yeh, yeh, stay on topic.

A4 in SC
11-16-2004, 10:28 PM
this is true but only midget sex because the car is somewhat small

Not if you have an avant.... [:D]

Sorry Evil, I had to...[;)]

SeanF
11-17-2004, 10:58 AM
is this all we can come up with?

Hassmeister
11-17-2004, 12:01 PM
Depending on the model and year... the first few lines in the rear window defroster are the radio antenna.

derek2079
11-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by A4Shon1.8TQM

you can also take this car off sweet jumps

Zodiak
11-17-2004, 12:48 PM
what other sort of things are you looking for? what's considered a 'secret' to some, might just be common knowledge to others.

SeanF
11-17-2004, 12:57 PM
i dont know, the b6 forum has a post with some cool stuff...

derek2079
11-17-2004, 12:57 PM

also let me add they may not seem like secrets but finely tuning these cars arent easy and would be considered secrets to other. there is so much knowledge within these boards that i have learned many secrets. or things i would have never known

SF944
11-17-2004, 03:12 PM
has anybody figured out what the lines on the left rear window of the Avant are? They look like defroster strands or a secondary antenna. But if they are an antenna, are the sedan folks missing out?

white fish
11-17-2004, 05:58 PM
how about the one touch up/down all windows

EVIL-AUDI
11-17-2004, 06:01 PM
To do that one touch for the rear windows aswell, you need to rewire the modual in the doors. There is a write up somewhere for it. I remember a member her doing it.

AudiMat
11-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by white fish
how about the one touch up/down all windows

Is this programed through the VAG?

SF944
11-18-2004, 04:32 AM
^^ no you have to jump a couple of pins in the rear window wiring harness. I think the writeup is in the AW tech forum somewhere.

SeanF
11-18-2004, 06:31 AM
my windows are all one touch...

been like that since i got the car

A4 in SC
11-18-2004, 06:45 AM
my windows are all one touch...

been like that since i got the car

One touch up and down? If so, someone already did the 'mod'. It's a very easy thing to do. Just take off the rear door panels and put a jumper (a figure 8 strand of wire worked for me) between two posts. I know the tech article is on AW. Someone should do a write up and let Anth post it here.

Later,
Mike

e.van
11-18-2004, 06:49 AM
Yea I did the one-touch up on mine last summer. Took me all of 15 minutes (given I have taken my panels off dozens of times).

Zodiak
11-18-2004, 08:24 AM
i dont know, the b6 forum has a post with some cool stuff...
That's because none of them read their owners manuals.

Someone should do a write up and let Anth post it here.

A write up for it has been posted on here by me and DDQ on a number of occassions.

A4 in SC
11-18-2004, 08:26 AM
OOPS, sorry. I haven't looked for it, as I've already done the mod. Too lazy to look for it too...[rolleyes]

Wholsea
11-18-2004, 10:07 AM
you can fit a case of beer in the spare tire compartment :-D

Ummm, you can bastardize the relay that controls the fog lights and turn on your fog lights without having your headlights on.

Requires a dremel, soldering iron, a bit of time, and $300 for a new relay if you screw up.

Thats true about the saving money part, though, when I try to save money for mods, the repairs end up taking all of the money I saved...

Either that, or I'll buy some thing cool, then realize that I should ahve spent that money on new control arms :-/

white fish
11-18-2004, 03:31 PM
dual rear fog mod
disable day time running lights

3 bar
11-18-2004, 06:49 PM
One thing I just noticed was when you open the door, the footwell light for that particular door only lights up.

BoostinA4
11-18-2004, 07:16 PM
anyword on this rear window 1 touch up?? i wanna do it

EVIL-AUDI
11-18-2004, 07:20 PM
I remember there being a detailed post on how one member did it here on AZ. I was going to do it, but then got lazy.

Viper966
11-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by 3 bar
One thing I just noticed was when you open the door, the footwell light for that particular door only lights up. the overhead light can work as well

Chard
11-19-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by A4RobM
Isnt that for the sun when it is right inbetween the visors? I dont know but that is what i assumed it is for.

Yep I think you're right, it's for the sun that comes in above the rear view mirror. Our previous Mercedes from 1988 had this same feature. Our new one just has that part blacked out, on top of the normal tinted strip on the top of the windshield.

fanuvbrak
11-19-2004, 07:45 AM
here's another few secrets i've learned:

if you honk your horn, your "brake" light comes on on the dash.

if you raise and lower the emergency brake, the "brake" light goes off.

if you point this out to a dealer they will not be able to replicate it.

the dealer will want to charge you $50 an hour to trace wires to find the problem and estimate at least 5 hours.

you will learn to live with this little anomaly.

and i had never noticed that little pull down visor thing until i read about it on this site. i think it's for night time to hide the overhead light/sunroff controls.

jones3000
11-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Changing Degree Temperature Display

Press and hold the recirculation button. Then press the temperature up ("+") button to switch between degrees Celsius & Fahrenheit on the Climate Control Temperature and Instrument Panel Outside Temperature displays.

Code Displayed Value

2 Digital value of Interior Temperature Sensor, in Headliner (G 86)

3 Digital value of Interior Temperature Sensor, in Instrument Panel (G 56)

4 Digital value of Fresh Air Intake Duct Temperature Sensor (G 89)

5 Digital value of Outside Air (Ambient) Temperature Sensor (G 17), front

6 Digital value of Outside Air (Ambient) Temperature Sensor

7 Digital value of Ambient Temperature Sensor At Fresh Air Blower (G 109)

8 Digital value of Temperature Regulator Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 92)

9 Delta value of Temperature Regulator Flap

10 Non-corrected specified value of Temperature Regulator Flap

11 Digital value of Central Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 112)

12 Specified value of Central Flap

13 Digital value of Footwell/Defroster Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 114)

14 Specified value of Footwell/Defroster Flap

15 Digital value of Air Flow Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 113)

16 Specified value of Air Flow Flap

17 Vehicle Speed (km/h)

18 Actual Air Blower voltage (Volts)

19 Specified Fresh Air Blower voltage (Volts)

20 A/C Compressor (A/C Clutch) voltage (Volts)

21 Number of low voltage occurrences, non-transient

22 Cycle condition of A/C Refrigerant High Pressure Switch (F 118)

23 Cyclings of the A/C Refrigerant High Pressure Switch (F 118)

24 Cyclings of the switches, absolute non-fluctuating

25 Analog/Digital value, Kick-Down Switch

26 Analog/Digital value, Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Warning Light

27 Coding value

28 Engine Speed (RPM)

greski
11-19-2004, 12:06 PM
What is the thing underneath the little plastic flap behind (toward back seats) the sunroof controls? When you open it it looks like a little sensor or something?

cbass
11-19-2004, 12:35 PM
For the extra bass on the radio secret, is this the kind of radio that you have to do it with? Or is it the other kind?

http://img104.exs.cx/img104/1883/Radio.jpg

white fish
11-19-2004, 12:50 PM
heres the Link (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11960&highlight=one+touch+up+rear) lazys

Audimarc
11-19-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by BoostinA4
anyword on this rear window 1 touch up?? i wanna do it

Isn't it a function of the window switch? Wouldn't it just require you to install a forward window switch at each location?

white fish
11-19-2004, 03:09 PM
ok I just started playing with Changing Degree Temperature Display
Mine is a bit weird
I switch to 17 and it says 1 when I am at a complet stop and its a bit off from my speedo when I'm driving

and my RPM in on 27 not 28 and it to is off from my tach

I dont know what else to really play with

definatly cool though

aussie_s4
11-19-2004, 03:17 PM
The wiper fluid nozzles won't spray if the sunroof is open.

Mazarin
11-19-2004, 06:43 PM
*TONS of codes and such*

Are you saying you can get these read outs to show on the little dash display? And if so, how?

quattro_maniac
11-19-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by aussie_s4
The wiper fluid nozzles won't spray if the sunroof is open.

you sure about that? i think my friend did it...

Ben@SpeedBarn
11-20-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by SF944
has anybody figured out what the lines on the left rear window of the Avant are? They look like defroster strands or a secondary antenna. But if they are an antenna, are the sedan folks missing out?

I had the same question. No one seems to know. The roof antenna is supposed to be tri-mode....am/fm/cell So I think they wouldn't need a duplicate of those. It's def not defroster. I think it is for the remote. Everyone with an avant seems to have much greater range with their locking over the sedans. So that is my final guess.

Pureaudi
11-20-2004, 12:53 AM
ok I just started playing with Changing Degree Temperature Display
Mine is a bit weird
I switch to 17 and it says 1 when I am at a complet stop and its a bit off from my speedo when I'm driving

and my RPM in on 27 not 28 and it to is off from my tach

I dont know what else to really play with

definatly cool though

how do you get this readout? i have a 97, will it work?

BoostinA4
11-20-2004, 01:03 AM
thanks white fish, you gave me somethin to do saturday

A4 in SC
11-20-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by 1999 Audi A4
Isn't it a function of the window switch? Wouldn't it just require you to install a forward window switch at each location?

Not sure what you mean by a function of the window switch. From what I remember, the front and window switches are the same.

Anyway, I did a search here and on the other forum, and I could only come up w/ the tech article from the other forum. Sorry, I tried to find one on AZ first!!!

One touch up rear window mod (http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1271980.phtml)

Later,
Mike

Pureaudi
11-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Changing Degree Temperature Display

Press and hold the recirculation button. Then press the temperature up ("+") button to switch between degrees Celsius & Fahrenheit on the Climate Control Temperature and Instrument Panel Outside Temperature displays.

Code Displayed Value

2 Digital value of Interior Temperature Sensor, in Headliner (G 86)

3 Digital value of Interior Temperature Sensor, in Instrument Panel (G 56)

4 Digital value of Fresh Air Intake Duct Temperature Sensor (G 89)

5 Digital value of Outside Air (Ambient) Temperature Sensor (G 17), front

6 Digital value of Outside Air (Ambient) Temperature Sensor

7 Digital value of Ambient Temperature Sensor At Fresh Air Blower (G 109)

8 Digital value of Temperature Regulator Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 92)

9 Delta value of Temperature Regulator Flap

10 Non-corrected specified value of Temperature Regulator Flap

11 Digital value of Central Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 112)

12 Specified value of Central Flap

13 Digital value of Footwell/Defroster Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 114)

14 Specified value of Footwell/Defroster Flap

15 Digital value of Air Flow Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 113)

16 Specified value of Air Flow Flap

17 Vehicle Speed (km/h)

18 Actual Air Blower voltage (Volts)

19 Specified Fresh Air Blower voltage (Volts)

20 A/C Compressor (A/C Clutch) voltage (Volts)

21 Number of low voltage occurrences, non-transient

22 Cycle condition of A/C Refrigerant High Pressure Switch (F 118)

23 Cyclings of the A/C Refrigerant High Pressure Switch (F 118)

24 Cyclings of the switches, absolute non-fluctuating

25 Analog/Digital value, Kick-Down Switch

26 Analog/Digital value, Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Warning Light

27 Coding value

28 Engine Speed (RPM)

how did you do this, i tried to press the recirc button and the + button but it didnt work....what did i do wrong? i wanna see my RPM's.[:)]

white fish
11-20-2004, 11:05 AM
it worked on my 97 but as I say the code was one less

Pureaudi
press an hold recirc. at the same time press manual flow up button let go of the buttons you should see a 1c where the numbers were press temp up or down and change it the the code number you want (28 but mine was 27) then press recirc button again and it will say your RPM just add a zero to that number my idle said big 7 little 6 so 760rpm

jones3000
11-20-2004, 11:09 AM
how did you do this, i tried to press the recirc button and the + button but it didnt work....what did i do wrong? i wanna see my RPM's.[:)]

Sorry, 1999.5 and up.

cbass
11-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Sorry, 1999.5 and up

correction, 98.5 and up, it works on mine too.

Pureaudi
11-20-2004, 11:31 AM
it worked on my 97 but as I say the code was one less

Pureaudi
press an hold recirc. at the same time press manual flow up button let go of the buttons you should see a 1c where the numbers were press temp up or down and change it the the code number you want (28 but mine was 27) then press recirc button again and it will say your RPM just add a zero to that number my idle said big 7 little 6 so 760rpm

then why did it wrok for him? he has a 97.

Starchild
11-20-2004, 12:03 PM
This is really cool guys. I have a 99.5 A4 myself. Gonna try it, thanks!

quattro_maniac
11-20-2004, 12:16 PM
i just did it and it worked great...but i have one question...
Is there an updated list of components for this? My numbers went all the way up to 87C...any ideas?

EDIT: nevermind, found it
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int6.shtml

0000_a4
11-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Where are these codes suppose to show up? On the radio or on the dashboard?

Skylinedc505
11-20-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by 0000_a4
Where are these codes suppose to show up? On the radio or on the dashboard?

Neither, where the desired temperture display should be then once you've found the desired value, hit the recirc button.

Daft
11-21-2004, 10:28 AM
1. Some cars have gas caps that are not connected to the body, the caps have a notch cut in them that allows you to hook the cap onto the gas door while fueling.

2. Once the ambient air temp drops below 41F, a snowflake displays next to the outside air temp to warn you of road icing temps. (This is more of a suprise for the warm climate people)

3. The A/C system will automatically shut down the A/C compressor once the outside air temp drops below 35F. This sucks if you're driving in above freezing temps and it raining.

4. In the trunk, beside the spare tire well is a tag that lists every option and feature on your car.

5. The Concert radio only powers the front speakers. The rear speakers have an amplifier that is bolted to the driver's rear speaker.

6. Activating the rear fog light automatically enables the front fog lights.

7. The dual rear fog mod makes your car look like the brake lamps in your tail lights are always on. Very confusing for people following you[:p].

8. The audi dealership usually charges $40 to cut a switchblade key blank. The VW dealerships usually charge $10 for the same thing. (More of a secret for all Audis)

9. If you open only your sunroof all the way open it may cause a fluttering sound from the air pressure in the car. Turn the knob back one click and it will go away.

10. Every piece of moving glass in your car has pinch protection, even the sunroof. (I tried it)

4ingDrive
11-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Ben@SpeedBarn
I had the same question. No one seems to know. The roof antenna is supposed to be tri-mode....am/fm/cell So I think they wouldn't need a duplicate of those. It's def not defroster. I think it is for the remote. Everyone with an avant seems to have much greater range with their locking over the sedans. So that is my final guess.

If your avant is prewired for cellular it's a tri-mode antenna. It has an additional lead with a Motorola type antenna end. As far as this other antenna on the glass everyone talks about mine doesn't have it. Wish I knew what it was for.

BananaBoy_S4
11-21-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Daft
4. In the trunk, beside the spare tire well is a tag that lists every option and feature on your car.

in german...

AudiSnawb
11-21-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by BananaBoy_S4
in german...
LMFAO!

white fish
11-21-2004, 04:38 PM
what soud does you car make if you have just both rear windows down?
with speeds over 60mph I can hardly stand the air pressure pluses

quattro_maniac
11-21-2004, 09:08 PM
noticed this last night...

At night, when your lights are on and windows are down, if the driver pulls up any window other than his...the illumination light on the window switch for that door will turn off....

(i guess it's so women can't find the switch when the window starts magically going up [:D])

(yay...i found something [cool])

alen
11-21-2004, 10:35 PM
(i guess it's so women can't find the switch when the window starts magically going up )

you dirty dog, you.

Skylinedc505
11-21-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by quattro_maniac
noticed this last night...

At night, when your lights are on and windows are down, if the driver pulls up any window other than his...the illumination light on the window switch for that door will turn off....

(i guess it's so women can't find the switch when the window starts magically going up [:D])

(yay...i found something [cool])

whoa, thats trippy...there's gotta be another reason for it....hmmm....nope! [:p]

Daft
11-22-2004, 07:58 AM
in german...

The option codes are 3 character codes. How is that German?

If you mean the categories on the sticker, yes, they are written in German and ENGLISH.

For example, it would say "Engine code" in german then english, then list the code.

BananaBoy, Use this site to decode the sticker: http://www.hop.com/

Pureaudi
11-22-2004, 08:48 AM
i found a trick!....not....muahaha! got you allll!

SeanF
11-22-2004, 09:52 AM
pure audi you are such a post whore, stop wasting space...

Audi1.8t
11-22-2004, 11:29 AM
3. The A/C system will automatically shut down the A/C compressor once the outside air temp drops below 35F. This sucks if you're driving in above freezing temps and it raining.

WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN IS PISSES ME OFF BECAUSE MY WINDOWS FOG UP THEN!!

quattro_maniac
11-22-2004, 12:00 PM
just leave the fan on then...should still keep the windows clear

derek2079
11-22-2004, 12:07 PM
i found a trick!....not....muahaha! got you allll!

somone told me that your instrument cluster and interior lights can be dimmed or brightened =D

derek2079
11-22-2004, 12:09 PM

the fact that you posted this just shows that your a post whore.

if anyone is a postwhore its me

=D

aussie_s4
11-22-2004, 12:16 PM
the fact that you posted this just shows that your a post whore.

if anyone is a postwhore its me
Well, THAT'S no secret [:)]

Daft
11-22-2004, 12:33 PM
just leave the fan on then...should still keep the windows clear

eh.... It doesn't always help. When you have that freezing rain, it tends to fog the windshield up quite nicely.

Audi1.8t
11-22-2004, 12:40 PM
yeah it really sucks when i am driving through the pass and it is snowing almost a white out and my AC shuts off causing my windows to fog up. How could Audi be that stupid they made thier car to run in cold weather.

cbass
11-22-2004, 02:03 PM
I thought even below freezing, if you hit the windshield defrost button, the A/C will still kick on. I have used it many times IIRC. I'll try it tomorrow morning (I leave for school at 6:30 so it's a toasty 25 degrees out)

kris_tdi
11-22-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by cbass
I thought even below freezing, if you hit the windshield defrost button, the A/C will still kick on. I have used it many times IIRC. I'll try it tomorrow morning (I leave for school at 6:30 so it's a toasty 25 degrees out)

my aircon only comes on below 5 degrees C if you press the windscreen demist button.

also the heated mirrors come on automatically below 5 degree's then turn off a few minutes later.
rear demist screen turns off automatically too.

there is a button in between the drivers front seat and rear seat which sets the alarm but nott the interior sensors for if you have a dog etc...

AudiMat
11-22-2004, 03:14 PM
Your rear fog light goes out when you turn the High Beams on, just like the front fogs do. How does that make any sense what-so-ever????[confused]

EuroTall
11-22-2004, 03:41 PM
Next to the Rear view mirrow, in the Sunroof / Dome light controls panel there are 2 LED lights pointing downward...unnoticable normally...but they are there to illuminate your hand/fingers at night when you switch radio or climate controls....
At night when you go to switch your radio ...notice your hands have a red hue so that you dont hit the wrong button on the radio I guess.
Or just stick your hand in front of the rear view mirror and it's VERY noticable then...
(At least on my 2001 A4 and on my S4 too, so not sure on older models)

quattro_maniac
11-22-2004, 03:44 PM
^^i've noticed those also...just thought they were there to "set the mood"

Pureaudi
11-22-2004, 07:07 PM

thats how the pimps roll here in calli....not post whore...post P-I-M-P!

somone told me that your instrument cluster and interior lights can be dimmed or brightened =D

Good times....Good times...[:D]

HotSauce
11-22-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by AudiMat
Your rear fog light goes out when you turn the High Beams on, just like the front fogs do. How does that make any sense what-so-ever????[confused]

During fog, legally you're not supposed to have your high beams on at all. Your lights are on exclusively for them to see you, not you to see them. That is what your fog lights are for (To drive the lines). Also, turning on your high beams during fog, causes a wall of fog, limiting visability even more.

Daft
11-22-2004, 08:22 PM
That's all true but, it's pretty funny that it does shut off.

quattro_maniac
11-23-2004, 11:16 AM
i tested it last night and it DIDN'T turn off...could this be by year only?

RedRocket
11-23-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by AudiMat

Because you're not supposed to use your high beams in the fog. If it's really foggy, you will actually see less with your high beams on from all the light reflecting off the water in the air.

RedRocket
11-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Lol, ya put those seats up playa!

Originally posted by D Piddy
if u push both frotn seats all the way forward, there's some decent room in the back

cbass
11-23-2004, 01:24 PM
Nevermind, I tryed the A/C windshield demister thing this morning at about 29 degrees, and the A/C does NOT come on when I press the windshield demister button. I stand corrected...by my self.

AudiMat
11-23-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by RedRocket
Because you're not supposed to use your high beams in the fog. If it's really foggy, you will actually see less with your high beams on from all the light reflecting off the water in the air.

I know this... I just think that its really funny that the REAR one turns off too!

AudiMat
11-23-2004, 08:34 PM
i tested it last night and it DIDN'T turn off...could this be by year only?

I doubt it cause we have the same year car...

quattro_maniac
11-23-2004, 10:12 PM
well, i checked again tonight and the same thing...it stays on when i hit the high beams...only the front fogs turn off...
any ideas?

OnE.8T
11-24-2004, 10:56 AM
will the bass mod work on the radio that pictured on page 3? if so which buttonsdo i press?

osofast10
12-28-2004, 10:29 AM
pretty neat things on here

Pureaudi
12-28-2004, 12:18 PM
its werid, my car has the heater/AC, set to Celcius...how do i change it back to Farinhight (sp?). i herd there is a way to do this.

IndieRockSteve
12-28-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Ben@SpeedBarn

I thought it was a defroster too... I never checked, but I did notice those windows clear snow/ice faster than the other side windows.
I don't think its for the FOB though, cause my range is as bad as my friends sedan. speaking of which, I need to replace my FOB battery.

Originally posted by Daft
1. Some cars have gas caps that are not connected to the body, the caps have a notch cut in them that allows you to hook the cap onto the gas door while fueling.

I have this, its awesome, I can use it to hold up pump handles without the lock when needed =)

5. The Concert radio only powers the front speakers. The rear speakers have an amplifier that is bolted to the driver's rear speaker.

is this true on the Avant too? I'd love to do a quick'n'dirty amp upgrade to start the stereo upgrade, if the rears have a line-level signal running to the amp this would make my life a whole lot easier. Anyone done a stereo upgrade on a B5 Avant with the Concert radio?

6. Activating the rear fog light automatically enables the front fog lights.
Annoying as all hell when your driving through thick fog since we don't actually have fog lights but driving lights (my bulbs are not yellow).

7. The dual rear fog mod makes your car look like the brake lamps in your tail lights are always on. Very confusing for people following you[:p].

I use it when people are following to close, I turn them on as though I'm slowing down, works every time =)
Bastards....

8. The audi dealership usually charges $40 to cut a switchblade key blank. The VW dealerships usually charge $10 for the same thing. (More of a secret for all Audis)

If you find a VW dealer that will do an Audi key...

9. If you open only your sunroof all the way open it may cause a fluttering sound from the air pressure in the car. Turn the knob back one click and it will go away.
not completely true, its still there, only the speed you need to go for the effect to be noticable changes. IIRC its somewhere around 100mph (don't ask, but it was a BEAUTIFUL day =D

10. Every piece of moving glass in your car has pinch protection, even the sunroof. (I tried it)
Amen

I don't think my car prevents the wiper fluid from being sprayed when the sunroof is open, though it could just be a bad memory from my Jeep....

Someone mentioned flipping the rear view mirror sunvisor around... How does this help you? I've found it not exactly the right size/shape/position for me, and if doing this might help, I'll try it.

Here's my addition:
the CD changer bay area is a good hiding place, but put what your hiding in a good size container (lost the condoms while camping... once, that really was a long weekend...). Illicit drugs find this a cozy home ;-)

oh, the cup holders under the center arm rest are great for holding keys, cell phone, iPod, pretty much anything but cups...

Fun thread, if not long and rambling...

Pureaudi
12-28-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by IndieRockSteve

Here's my addition:
the CD changer bay area is a good hiding place, Illicit drugs find this a cozy home ;-)

you red my mind![:p]

Quattrocket
12-28-2004, 01:58 PM
?There is another red LED on 99.5+ cars under the cigarrette lighter... not sure what the point of that is

aussie_s4
12-28-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by IndieRockSteve
I don't think my car prevents the wiper fluid from being sprayed when the sunroof is open, though it could just be a bad memory from my Jeep....yeah, I was just joking, something for the noob's to try out [;)]

IndieRockSteve
12-28-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Quattrocket
?There is another red LED on 99.5+ cars under the cigarrette lighter... not sure what the point of that is

to illuminate the ring around the lighter?

Originally posted by aussie_s4
yeah, I was just joking, something for the noob's to try out [;)]
lol, the other secret, A4 owners are a*holes ;-)

Pureaudi
12-28-2004, 04:13 PM
the cupholders on i believe 99 and above, fit greddy TT's almost perfectly.

BananaBoy_S4
12-29-2004, 03:06 PM
if you put a drink in the cupholder and turn the fan on and the ac it will keep your drink chilled

e.van
12-29-2004, 03:08 PM
If you put a cup in the 96-98 cupholder, and make a left turn, the passenger will magically end up soaked.

Pureaudi
12-29-2004, 03:26 PM
^happend many times^

IndieRockSteve
12-30-2004, 07:05 AM
if you put a drink in the cupholder and turn the fan on and the ac it will keep your drink chilled

I do this in the summer with "Flurries" (those swirled ice cream things, and NOT the McFlurries, those are nasty), cause man do I love my ice cream. The secret is to close all but the vent behind the cupholder and turn the AC to "LOW" =)

buck
01-06-2005, 12:49 PM
you can also take this car off sweet jumps

LOL I just read that!

If some of you don't get it, rent Napoleon Dynamite! Funny funny movie.

Anyhoo - I just found a new secret that no one has mentioned:

When driving at night (with headlights on) - turn on your interior lights for a few seconds. Look at your dash lights and turn off the interior lights - you'll notice that your dash lights are very bright. They will slowly dim back to how you had them set.

This I assume is so you can still see your dash well with the interior lights turned on!

brax
02-09-2005, 02:02 PM
"you can take it off sweet jumps" ROFLMAO ig ot it the first time

heres a tip i learned, if you refuel with the car running which i used to do alot, and you cant figure out why sometimes when you refuel witht he car running all the gas spits out like the tank is full, CUT THE CAR OFF!

brax
02-09-2005, 02:06 PM
"you can take it off sweet jumps" ROFLMAO i got it the first time

heres a tip i learned, if you refuel with the car running which i used to do alot, and you cant figure out why sometimes when you refuel with the car running all the gas spits out like the tank is full, CUT THE CAR OFF! how gay huh

if you also chip your car replace the BPV as well with a 225 upgrade or such, the stock will fail and can cause boost leak and your cat to fail or melt

for the rear amp, if i would of know this i would of tapped for RCA cables right there, thats a great idea and will work, i am keeping my stock deck but have a full system with 2 amps and subs :)

RudeBwoi
02-09-2005, 02:42 PM
since we are on the subject why on my my 2000, on the inside drivers side hinge of my armrest, is there an ethernet jack and what can we use it for?

derek2079
02-09-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by RudeBwoi
since we are on the subject why on my my 2000, on the inside drivers side hinge of my armrest, is there an ethernet jack and what can we use it for?

its for internet audi offers satellite internet its $45 a month but its well worth it.

Audimarc
02-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Say what?

4ingDrive
02-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by RudeBwoi

It's for the factory Motorola phone.

Pureaudi
02-09-2005, 03:09 PM
its for internet audi offers satellite internet its $45 a month but its well worth it.

hahaha![up]

turbow8
02-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Guys,. my brother has a 99 A4 and he can't get the extra bass out of his speakers. what bottons does he need to press??? he gets other codes with the 1-3 buttons but with what I have read thru out this post none of those ways works with his, any help would be great

turbow8
02-10-2005, 03:25 PM
come on boys, how about some love?

IndieRockSteve
02-10-2005, 04:00 PM
turbow, search, this has been talked about before. or better yet, discover the tech articles at audiworld!

excursion
02-10-2005, 05:42 PM
A good VAG mod is auto door lock above 15mph. Useful for the ever increasing amount of car-jackings going on here.

My favourite 'trick' by far is cutting the speed signal to NAV+
My girl can now watch TV whilst were on the move, and not nag me about how fast we're going [drive]

I can't think of any others, some of the best 'trick's are done via VAG-COM. I really recommend it to anyone who hasn't got it.

brax
02-10-2005, 05:45 PM
yea i set mine to auto lock at 15, roll winderz up and down via remote and turned the proximity sensor sensitivity down :) thumb up

BarryT82
02-10-2005, 06:33 PM
You can change the display on the climate control to metric or English (degrees F). It will also change the display on the screen on the dash near the gauges to whatever the climate control displays. I believe you have to press and hold the recirculate button and then press the temp up button or the one that controls how fast the blower works. It's something like that. It's on AW in the tech forum.

Kyhai
02-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Pssssst!, I'll tell you a secret...

If you have the one touch automated windows and you stick your arm, nose, butt-cheeks, the one-eyed giant, while the window is going up, it will automaticly go back down, avoiding damage to the area being jammed by the window.

Happened to me once in my uncle's 330ci, but that window doesn't work as well as the one on my Audi.

NieFolgen
02-11-2005, 12:59 PM
I was in my trunk last year installing my XM radio and I noticed that in my '96 with the standard Audi sound system, my two rear speakers were made by Nokia. Here, all this time I thought they only made junky cell phones. . . .
[confused]

Brooksthepro
05-07-2005, 07:59 AM
i tryed the rpm code and it worked beautifuly. im so amazed. also

-u can get a converter that changes the cd changer wire in the trunk to an audio input jack. so u can have a direct connection for ur ipod to ur factory head unit. when the converter is installed al u press is the cdc button and ur good to go.
-haha ya i found the automatic window stop thingy too. my friends have lots of fun pretending to crush their necks

beejohn
05-07-2005, 09:11 AM
im surprised NOBODY has posted this little secret.

so, say you need a place to hide your crack/heroine/acid and the Po Po is after you, where do you hide it? (or if you're just blazin it up in the ol audi, i don't do crack/heroine/acid)

easy... behind the glove compartment. the glove compartment comes out. how? i have a 2001, and for that one you just push the two sides of the glove compartment towards the center and it releases the two clips on the side of the compartment and the glove will just drop down. there is a sweet hiding spot behind there to the right.

if you have pre 2001 (im not sure when it starts, i think pre 99.5) you can do it too, but instead of pushing towards the center on the sides of the glove, you just have to push towards the front of the car on two tabs. don't quote me on the exact direction/pushing. but i know for a fact they have two tabs and you can push them in some direction to get it to drop down.

so that one is too hard to get to when the PO is chasing you huh? the ash tray that is there for the passengers in the rear comes out. just simply lift up i believe, and you can actually stick your hand as far back as you want, all the way to the front of the center console if long enough.

i love how gangster our cars are :)

SeanF
05-07-2005, 09:22 AM
why not just stick it in the cupholders and close the cupholders..?

Chaos
05-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by NieFolgen
I was in my trunk last year installing my XM radio and I noticed that in my '96 with the standard Audi sound system, my two rear speakers were made by Nokia. Here, all this time I thought they only made junky cell phones. . . .
[confused]

the stock compo-set in the front of my A4 is also nokia :D

qa4blake
05-07-2005, 12:36 PM
when someone is tailgating you, hit the rear fog light to scare the ish out of them.

Pureaudi
05-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by beejohn
im surprised NOBODY has posted this little secret.

so, say you need a place to hide your crack/heroine/acid and the Po Po is after you, where do you hide it? (or if you're just blazin it up in the ol audi, i don't do crack/heroine/acid)

easy... behind the glove compartment. the glove compartment comes out. how? i have a 2001, and for that one you just push the two sides of the glove compartment towards the center and it releases the two clips on the side of the compartment and the glove will just drop down. there is a sweet hiding spot behind there to the right.

if you have pre 2001 (im not sure when it starts, i think pre 99.5) you can do it too, but instead of pushing towards the center on the sides of the glove, you just have to push towards the front of the car on two tabs. don't quote me on the exact direction/pushing. but i know for a fact they have two tabs and you can push them in some direction to get it to drop down.

so that one is too hard to get to when the PO is chasing you huh? the ash tray that is there for the passengers in the rear comes out. just simply lift up i believe, and you can actually stick your hand as far back as you want, all the way to the front of the center console if long enough.

i love how gangster our cars are :)

sweet, i wanna know how to drop the glove compartment for a 97.

anyone know the direction to push the tabs?

TheBlueMartin
05-29-2005, 05:13 PM
90% of first time CEL faults on 1.8Ts are from the crap braded vacuum line that runs to the front inside of the intake manifold.....

RSFour
05-30-2005, 01:10 AM
sometimes it seems harder to roll up/down my windows with my remote... is there a way to fix it? increase antenna range??

Pureaudi
05-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by RSFour
sometimes it seems harder to roll up/down my windows with my remote... is there a way to fix it? increase antenna range??

face it, our remotes, and alarms blow.

if you want increased range, get an aftermarket system.

scooter44
05-30-2005, 08:46 PM
yea. i can be like 15ft max for my remote to work. haha

RSFour
05-30-2005, 09:17 PM
but the key looks so good... and if we got the after market one, we gotta have its remote, and our key, which is stuck with the remote...

alen
05-31-2005, 04:06 PM
i went to like 3 different places yesterday to look for the remote battery and i couldn't find it (walmart, home depot, lowes). does radio shack carry them?

alen

A4ed
05-31-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by greski
What is the thing underneath the little plastic flap behind (toward back seats) the sunroof controls? When you open it it looks like a little sensor or something?

The manual closing sunroof crank

Audi A4 1.8T
06-01-2005, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by alen
i went to like 3 different places yesterday to look for the remote battery and i couldn't find it (walmart, home depot, lowes). does radio shack carry them?

alen

i got mine at walmart.. via the helper at the jelwry dept..

euro3b
06-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by B5Ghost

Dude your cool...

Rich [:)]

Hassmeister
06-01-2005, 08:37 PM
For the guys complaining about the fog up when the AC does not come on.... simply crank up the heat and the fog will lift.

And the headlight washers will not work until the headlights are on.

My wife says at night if someone is tailgating you and their headlights are blinding the crap out of you in your driver's side view mirror... adjust the mirror down until you don't see the headlights anymore. They will back off of you. She claims it reflects back at them when you adjust down.
I did it and it worked.

Jer
06-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Hassmeister
My wife says at night if someone is tailgating you and their headlights are blinding the crap out of you in your driver's side view mirror... adjust the mirror down until you don't see the headlights anymore. They will back off of you. She claims it reflects back at them when you adjust down.
I did it and it worked.

This is a good tip if it works.

Hassmeister
06-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Another sercet...
FYI:
You can buy Audi parts through a VW dealer. However, since they have to dig into Audi's parts inventory (they get a little pissed, I know cause I worked there) the VW dealer may mark the price up 10%.
9 times out of 10 it will still be cheaper than purchasing it at an Audi dealer.

Poopie
06-02-2005, 11:13 AM
haha what if the audi dealer is the same building

Hassmeister
06-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Poopie
haha what if the audi dealer is the same building

Hell give it a try, just for gee whiz if it's not the same parts counter. Who knows.

Ryan
06-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Brooksthepro

-u can get a converter that changes the cd changer wire in the trunk to an audio input jack. so u can have a direct connection for ur ipod to ur factory head unit. when the converter is installed al u press is the cdc button and ur good to go.

Anyone have any more info on where to get this adapter?

T-Wheat18
06-02-2005, 12:29 PM

Ya, radioshack should have them. I just picked some up from my local radioshack for about 3 bucks a piece.

IndieRockSteve
06-02-2005, 12:42 PM
For the guys complaining about the fog up when the AC does not come on.... simply crank up the heat and the fog will lift.

And the headlight washers will not work until the headlights are on.

I did it and it worked.

haha, your wife is an evil genius! time to try this...

b00st
06-02-2005, 02:08 PM

ain't that the truth....speak on brother.[hail]

Audimarc
06-02-2005, 02:46 PM
God, but it's true. I'm putting on my first mods next week (rims, tires, ecodes and exhaust) and wanted to include a GIAC chip and intake but unfortunately that's going to go replacing the windshield and putting new pads on the brakes.

nizmosx
06-02-2005, 03:00 PM
i guess its no secret that audi doesnt have good customer service.

Hassmeister
06-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by nizmosx
i guess its no secret that audi doesnt have good customer service.

I haven't had any problems. It's the qaulity of the communication on both parties.

jones3000
06-02-2005, 03:45 PM
I haven't had any problems. It's the qaulity of the communication on both parties.

I agree 100%. At my dealership, some people just walk in and say " fix my car". And expect us to stop working on everyone else's car and fix theirs for free.[rolleyes]