PDA

View Full Version : strange sound from my car...need advice

grannyA4
03-26-2009, 12:58 AM
Hey guys,
So recently I've noticed a strange clicking or knocking sound coming from underneath my car when i start to accelerate in first and the car begins to gain momentum from the stop. I also hear the sound when i am in low rpm's in all my other gears and I put on light acceleration. I am wondering where the sound is coming from, it doesnt sound like a broken exhaust hanger or anything, but more of a moving part in my motor. The weird thing is that it goes away once engine load is off. Can anyone offer up any advice?
Thanks guys

GR-RALLYE
03-26-2009, 01:14 AM
my car used to do the same when the tranny was going out...

B5A4Kevin
03-26-2009, 06:32 AM
check your inner cv boots. i had a car that would click/clunk when first starting out or changing gears (drive to reverse or vice versa). looked it all over and was about to condemn the trans, when i noticed the right inner boot was ate up, and had no grease in the axle.

grannyA4
03-26-2009, 10:58 AM
ok cool, ill check out the cv boots today. Hopefully its not my tranny going out...i just went pc16 and dont quite have the money (or time) for something like that. Thanks guys

20vpower
03-26-2009, 04:06 PM
Does it happen when turning?
I had the same noise, checked under the car and my driver side axle would wiggle around when i grabbed it. Got a jhm axle that im going to throw in this weekend to hopefully solve this problem.

First thing id look at like b5a4kevin said is the torn cv boot, if thats the case and there is no grease your going to need new cv

grannyA4
03-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Does it happen when turning?
I had the same noise, checked under the car and my driver side axle would wiggle around when i grabbed it. Got a jhm axle that im going to throw in this weekend to hopefully solve this problem.

First thing id look at like b5a4kevin said is the torn cv boot, if thats the case and there is no grease your going to need new cv

No, it only does it when i apply a small amount of load to my engine (starting from a stop or under light acceleration). But yes i will definately check out the cv boots. Thanks again