PDA

View Full Version : Quattro or FrontTrak

pierce
11-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Ok,
I'm about to purchase a 2001 A4. I have decided exactly what color (interior and exterior), engine, and mileage, but one thing I am having a hard time deciding is Quattro, or not. I have heard you get better gas mileage and a slightly bigger tank with the FrontTrak, but the Quattro is made for handling and is really nice to have. What do you guys thing?

Audi_Sniper
11-12-2004, 09:03 PM
This should not even be a question. You buy a Audi for one reason, and that would be quattro....
If you don't want quattro go buy a VW...

Just my .02

Zodiak
11-12-2004, 09:17 PM
in atlanta I can understand why quattro would be optional (I'm in Maine, Quattro is a must) but honestly, for the same price, there are faster and better FWD cars on the market. AWD+looks is what sold me on this car, if AWD wasn't a neccessity for me I would've gone with something entirely different.

pierce
11-12-2004, 09:46 PM
So you're saying you might've gone with FrontTrak. I mean, it's not THAT big of an issue because either one will suit me fine seeing as I'm not racing this thing, I just wanted to get other people's opinions and see if any of them sway my decision one way or the other...

ianlionzion
11-12-2004, 09:50 PM
Grasshoppa, listen to the 2 wise men who posted. The reason one would buy an Audi is for Quattro. If you didn't, you'd be wishing you did. [:)]

MR VTEC
11-12-2004, 10:31 PM
AUDI with no quattro is like peanut with no butter [:p]

DarkkstaR
11-12-2004, 10:38 PM
Quattro.

Zodiak
11-12-2004, 10:48 PM
If you like the A4s and FWD vs. Quattro isn't a huge deal for you, then go for it. The B5 A4 is a good car. But if drivetrain isn't a huge deal, you can get an e36 M3 for around the same price of a 2001 A4. don't get me wrong, I love my A4 it suits my need perfectly, but Quattro has a lot to do with that.

Anthony
11-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by MR VTEC
AUDI with no quattro is like peanut with no butter [:p] WTF? That kinda doesn't make sense. Peanut butter with no jelly makes more sense, no?

But yeah, gotta get a quattro. Otherwise, it ain't a real Audi. [;)] Nah, just kidding. If you don't really care about AWD, then I suppose that's your call.

SoleMate
11-13-2004, 03:15 AM
I have FWD. I didn't care and I don't really need it. I don't drive like a nut in the rain here and it doesn't snow. Plus, I'm most likely moving to Texas in a couple of months.

SEXIC─N
11-13-2004, 04:22 AM
If you going to buy an Audi, you should not even think about FWD. Quattro is a must even if you live in a sunny place 24/7/365.

pdxa4
11-13-2004, 05:01 AM
Depends on your priorities...I would always go for Quattro if possible and the price difference ain't too great, especially in the US market...

Just keep in mind that FWD Audi's are about 70-80% of worldwide sales...
The European market is mostly FWD, where Quattro is seen as a very expensive option and higher fuel consumption...FWD Audis handle pretty damn good...

offroader1006
11-13-2004, 05:20 AM
i have FWD, i bought an Audi cause it was an Audi.

styling, engineering, and a reputation of longevity is why i bought an Audi.

if you want an AWD car there are faster options as well.

AWD vs FWD wasnt even a factor for me because i just wanted an Audi.

FWD is lighter and has less power loss.

i saw FWD is the way to go down in the south. it's generally cheaper too, as an initial buy and for maintenance. less driveline parts and simpler design.

the fastest race cars in the world are all 2wd(top fuel dragsters and formula 1 cars)

you form your own opinion.

joeya103
11-13-2004, 07:31 AM
I have a FWD and I wish everyday I got a Quattro...not afraid to admit it. Especially if you plan on modding with, say, an exhaust...finding one that goes on a Frontrak is next to impossible unless you go custom.

Just do Quattro, it's not like it costs a lot more. And if you want the old cliche answer, safety safety safety. =)

AudiMV
11-13-2004, 08:37 AM
FWD isnt that bad.... if you live in so cal you dont really need Quattro.....but i still wish i had it, i didnt have a choice to pick but since you do GET QUATTRO....

MR VTEC
11-13-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Anthony
WTF? That kinda doesn't make sense. Peanut butter with no jelly makes more sense, no?

But yeah, gotta get a quattro. Otherwise, it ain't a real Audi. [;)] Nah, just kidding. If you don't really care about AWD, then I suppose that's your call.
I was being stupid! hence the [:p]

MR VTEC
11-13-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by offroader1006
the fastest race cars in the world are all 2wd(top fuel dragsters and formula 1 cars)

you form your own opinion.
Those fast cars your talking about are most likely RWD!

I wouldn't want my steering wheels to carry so much power! [rolleyes]

A4 in SC
11-13-2004, 09:54 AM
I'm less than 2 hours NW of you, so hopefully you'll take my opinions to heart.

It all depends on what you want the car for. If you do not plan to mod it, then front trak will be fine. However, if you plan on modding it, I would go quattro.

I sold my 2000 GTI 1.8T (APR chipped) for several reasons, but the main reason was because of the excessive wheelspin. I cannot leave a car stock, so I knew with added power, I wanted quattro. I drive pretty aggressively, so traction in corners is a must for me too. A chipped fwd Audi (or VW) is alot of fun, but what good is it if you can't put the power down? Sure, my GTI was faster than my Avant, even with the wheelspin, but that gives me more reasons to mod it even more [:D]

As you know, we get some pretty hard rainstorms, so traction is an issue with us too. I am always leary of other drivers and their actions, so being able to control my vehicle in panic situations is a factor for me too. I know with quattro, I have more throttle control 'when I need to get out of the way'.

HTH,
Mike

millerracer
11-13-2004, 09:55 AM
I would never buy a front wheel drive car...but - I'm a race driver by trade... and FWD cars just don't offer the same driving experience.

I bought an Audi because the comfort and interior quality rocks.. it's AWD and it is a wagon.. 3 things I was looking for. I was sadly looking at a WRX wagon... but the interior space was smaller - it was FAR from as comfortable and the interior quality..well.. honestly, it felt VERY cheap. I like my car doors to "thunk"....not "ping".

If you opt for no AWD..then look at a 3 series bmw.. german quality - better road manners. Plus it is RWD... also the lexus IS300..nice car and rear wheel drive. Quattro is very distinct... probably the best AWD system out there. If you aren't racing it - then quattro is even better because it is heavier anyway, but plants a much better foot on the road - especially in rain, dust or snow.

alen
11-13-2004, 10:23 AM
I drove a FWD 90S for almost four years and although I loved that car, FWD was really getting on my nerves. Granted, 172+ hp did not cause excessive torque steer in that car but you could sure feel the akwardness when trying to be a little enthusiastic.

I sold it cause I needed a newer car but I chose to go with Audi again, as long as it was AWD. I would never ever buy a FWD Audi again. I'd rather go with E36 series than a FWD Audi. Anyways, I'm really happy in my choice although it took longer than expected to find what I wanted. Quattro more than makes up for what I wanted and I would definitely recommend it.

On a side note, my family went through 6 Audis in the past 6 years and none were quattro. Trust me, it really makes a difference.

OverSpun
11-13-2004, 10:30 AM
I PMed you back. check it out man.

Silvant
11-13-2004, 10:33 AM
"the fastest race cars in the world are all 2wd(top fuel dragsters and formula 1 cars)

you form your own opinion."

come on now.....
go quattro or get something different.
quattro is not just a winter or wet crutch.

offroader1006
11-13-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by MR VTEC
Those fast cars your talking about are most likely RWD!

I wouldn't want my steering wheels to carry so much power! [rolleyes]

totally agree, i wasnt trying to glorify FWD cars, just point out you dont have to have AWD to go fast and keep traction.

its always easier to get what the majority has, parts and knowledge will always be more redily available.

i got my car and didnt have a choice, but im not looking to make it a racer

millerracer
11-13-2004, 01:04 PM
don't forget, audi won the tourng car championship this year.. even after being slagged with weight penatlies and turbo inlet restrictions....
Comparing your street car's dynamics to one of a top fuel dragster or an F1 car.. is well..silly.
The only thing that makes FWD cars competitive in touring events is their ability to have rulesmakers give them weight breaks. In GrandAm - there is a super quick little Acura RSX that is very competitive, but they let it have quite the good little engine mods - and it weighs a LOT less than the RWD BMW's, Lexus's and RX8's

Howard Hughes
11-13-2004, 01:22 PM
Like a burger without a bun....

SEXIC─N
11-13-2004, 01:33 PM
if you can't tell, the peeps with out Quattro wish they had bought it, and the ones that say they don't are just in denial.

Seriously, how much of a difference is there in gas mileage? I get about 25.6mpg

offroader1006
11-13-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by millerracer
don't forget, audi won the tourng car championship this year.. even after being slagged with weight penatlies and turbo inlet restrictions....
Comparing your street car's dynamics to one of a top fuel dragster or an F1 car.. is well..silly.
The only thing that makes FWD cars competitive in touring events is their ability to have rulesmakers give them weight breaks. In GrandAm - there is a super quick little Acura RSX that is very competitive, but they let it have quite the good little engine mods - and it weighs a LOT less than the RWD BMW's, Lexus's and RX8's

read above post

Quattrocket
11-13-2004, 02:53 PM
once you drive a quattro, you will never want to even drive in a FWD again.

Quattrocket
11-13-2004, 02:54 PM
hey offroader, where can i find pics of your car, i like your pinstriping.

DRA4
11-14-2004, 12:10 AM
Quattro for sure.

SoleMate
11-14-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by SEXICAN
if you can't tell, the peeps with out Quattro wish they had bought it, and the ones that say they don't are just in denial.

Seriously, how much of a difference is there in gas mileage? I get about 25.6mpg

W/ my car (FWD) before I chipped I got 25 in town and 31-32 on the highway.

I think it all depends on your driving prefernce. If you bought the A4 for unruling speed and handling then you bought the wrong car, our cars can be quick, but theyre nothing jaw dropping fast unless you dump lots of time and $$$ into them. An S4 would be a better option if you really want some speed. If you're in a southern climate and only wanting to chip/exhaust I don't see why you need a quattro.

Rieger_RS4
11-14-2004, 12:39 AM
I have a FWD and I'm happy with it.......my dad used to have a 00 quattro A6, but I never really pushed it to the limit

rendyx
11-14-2004, 01:23 AM
Before I bought my A4, I also looked at a TT. I wasn't so sure about the Haldex AWD, so I gave it a little 'testing.' Sliding through a corner yielded understeer, followed suddenly by oversteer, then it corrected itself. I was left confused and unsure about it.
I did the same corner with an A4, and it behaved the exact same as my old CQ did, and slid evenly through the turn.

And there's still times when I accidentally take a slippery turn a little quick, and rely on the AWD to catch me [:)] Let alone quattro is an awesome experience should you ever push the car. It behaves much more predictably, more evenly, and more transparently than any other AWD system I have experience with.

RafyA4
11-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Quattro is nice. Very Nice!

pierce
11-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Alright, thanks alot guys. From reading this, I have a pretty good feeling I'm going Quattro, heh...Now to go find a B5 with Quattro, wish me luck...

millerracer
11-14-2004, 03:05 PM
there are only a million of them.. I doubt you will have a problem :)

A4 in SC
11-14-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by plerce
Alright, thanks alot guys. From reading this, I have a pretty good feeling I'm going Quattro, heh...Now to go find a B5 with Quattro, wish me luck...

I bought mine off of AutoTrader from a broker in the Atlanta area. It was in Alpharetta, I believe (up GA 400). If you would like more info, send me an e-mail...

Later,
Mike

SEXIC─N
11-14-2004, 04:33 PM
i forgot to mention highway on mine, i get 32.8

So i don't really see anyh difference in gas saving between the quatto and FWD, so i think the obvious choice is QUATTRO

Originally posted by SoleMate
W/ my car (FWD) before I chipped I got 25 in town and 31-32 on the highway.

I think it all depends on your driving prefernce. If you bought the A4 for unruling speed and handling then you bought the wrong car, our cars can be quick, but theyre nothing jaw dropping fast unless you dump lots of time and $$$ into them. An S4 would be a better option if you really want some speed. If you're in a southern climate and only wanting to chip/exhaust I don't see why you need a quattro.

threedaysdwn
11-14-2004, 04:58 PM
I used to say, "Buying an Audi without Quattro is like buying a Mercedes without the badge."

But I guess I'll have to stop saying that now that I might buy one of those new A3s without it :)

sfordeso
11-14-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by threedaysdwn
I used to say, "Buying an Audi without Quattro is like buying a Mercedes without the badge."
so SO true

kraller
12-12-2004, 09:00 PM
If it doesnt matter get the FWD for repair purposes. The Q is way more expensive when something goes wrong, but i would honestly have gone with the Q if I had the money at the time.

S-fear
12-13-2004, 08:44 AM
Shoot, if you are not driving in snow and are not going to mod the car, the FWD is fine.

In stock form, it is lighter, more tossable, and quicker.

Most quattro guys are in denial about the extra weight they are carrying around and the extra drive train loss (22%) you get with quattro. They add up to make the car a bit more sluggish.

Of course, if you drive aggressively and plan to modify, you will soon get tired of the wheel spin with FWD. Even with a simple chip upgrade, you will be roasting your tires. In stock form, this isn't really an issue.

If you stay stock, don't drive in snow then FWD is great.

Otherwise, go quattro.

Pureaudi
12-13-2004, 08:53 AM
i never drive in the snow and i still have Q, its a really nice feature, specially when you go on canyon runs.

S-fear
12-13-2004, 01:15 PM
Crazy.

I Quattro for the winter.

In the summer, I use RWD. Now, that is fun for canyon runs, race tracks, or anything where you need precision driving.

With Quattro, a bigger rear sway bar helps, but they still understeer, unlike a good RWD

audlman
12-13-2004, 01:24 PM
im fronttrack. yes u get some crap from people, but im fine with it.

3 bar
12-13-2004, 02:34 PM
If your going to get front trak Get a Passat. Just my .02

Hassmeister
12-13-2004, 07:49 PM
If you don't get Quattro in an Audi... after you had it for awhile you wish you did!
Nothin' like havin' all that power (especially once you start modding) going to all four wheels.[:)] [:)]

jjjoe
12-13-2004, 08:52 PM
I vote quattro. It will only take one idiot for you to come to the same conclusion.

greengravy
12-13-2004, 10:08 PM
i love the quattro. quattro hands down

Audi 555
12-13-2004, 11:26 PM
Ya i wish i got the quattro! But an audi is an audi either way you should be happy, the handeling can be made much better by susupension and sway bars, however if the quattro option is there take it.

Rieger_RS4
12-13-2004, 11:34 PM
now that is started snowing, i wish I had quattro, but in the summer I actually prefer my FWD