PDA

View Full Version : cant do throttle body adaptation with VAG

jankaroni
03-25-2009, 04:09 AM
Adaptation - 10

If you ever replace/remove your throttle body, battery, ecu or pedal cluster or remove any battery connections, you will have to do a throttle body adaptation for the car to run at it's best. This applies to DBW and nDBW vehicles as some may tell you otherwise. To perform a throttle body adaptation there are a couple of ways. One with VAGCOM and one without. Without VAGCOM, make sure your battery is charged to at least 12V and coolant temp is not below 10 degrees C or above 95 degrees C. Place your key in the ignition, do not turn the car on OR touch the pedals. Turn the key to the "on" position and wait for about 30 seconds. The downside for doing it this way is that there is no way to tell if the adaptation was successful. That is why most people do it with VAGCOM.

Though it is not under the adaptation block, I will still stick it here.

Throttle Body Adaptation:

Turn the key on but do not start the car.

01 - Engine
Measuring Blocks - 08
Group - 060 (some nDBW cars may be 98)
Go
Switch to basic settings

Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switch to basic settings. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in basic mode for about 30 seconds, then switch back to normal settings and you're all set.

Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!

If your engine is a little rough at idle you can actually set the idle speed. It may and or may not make the idle a bit more comfortable, you will just have to play arond with it and set your own value for your comfort.

So i followed these steps, but when I enter group 060 in the far right box it is supposed to say "ADP RUN" and mine just says ERROR. The when I switch to basic settings it just says ERROR again.

Any ideas??

mike-2ptzero
03-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Are you able to read any other blocks near 060?

jankaroni
03-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Are you able to read any other blocks near 060?

I will give it a try when i get home tonight...it will be kind of late though. Check backtomorrow if you think about it please.

Dallas09
03-25-2009, 10:18 AM
What year do you have... Ive heard of alot of pre 99's (including mine) where they wont adapt right using VAG.. I just leave the key on for a few minutes so it can adapt, i had that error code and doing an adapt with the key a few times eventually made that error go away.

B5A4Kevin
03-25-2009, 11:06 AM
are you doing it with the engine running? cuz its supposed to be key on engine off when you do it. thats the only thing ive seen cause an adaptation error. does it drive normally?

jankaroni
03-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Yeah the car drives normally. I had just had the battery off and was gonna do it for the hell of it.

Its a 2001, and yes I am trying it with key on engine off.

Maybe I will try cycling the key a few times and try it again when I get a chance.

nji14
03-25-2009, 05:22 PM
If you have a throttle body malfunction code you need to clear that before it will let you readapt your TB. Also make sure you clear your code from the engine group and not just the "scan all" section of VAG-COM.

jankaroni
03-25-2009, 07:29 PM
If you have a throttle body malfunction code you need to clear that before it will let you readapt your TB. Also make sure you clear your code from the engine group and not just the "scan all" section of VAG-COM.

I didnt realize it but when I checked I did have a fault code in the engine section....cleared it out and it ran fine.

thanks its good to go now