PDA

View Full Version : Blinktek heatshield & air filter combo...

DJmuggs
03-23-2009, 02:01 PM
can someone with a 99' a4 that has the blinktek heatshield // K&N airfilter combo please tell me what exactly it was you had installed.
i bought the combo from the az user, he sent me the hs and just the cone shaped filter. i took it to my mechanic who says he does these all the time, and says that the filter i have is not enough for the install... and that i need addition pipes or something. WTF why is NOTHING easy when it comes to modifying a fucking audi

myers1.8TQ
03-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Stock airbox really doesnt need to be modified until/unless you go BT.

Just my opinion, I would leave it how it is. I dont see any gain.

v1nyd
03-23-2009, 02:07 PM
....well your first mistake was bringing it to a mechanic, you can install those two items outside your house in less than a hour. If you bought the filter off another user who used it for the same car as you then the filter opening should be the same size as your MAF so all you have to do is take out your stock airbox and clamp on the filter and that heatshield will work with your stock inlet pipe so you don't need to do anything else really.

B5A4Kevin
03-23-2009, 02:34 PM
ya install is easy and pretty straight forward for a diy. i can get mine out or in in 5-10 min depending on motivation. if it is 2.75" filter, it just clamps right on to your maf and chills where the air box used to be. install directions are up on blinktekdesign.com. rip out the plastic plumbing going to the air box. beer. un screw the inlet plumbing above the headlight, loosen the outlet hose clamp. beer. undo the 90* elbow for the evap line coming off n80 at the top corner of the air box. unhook your maf. beer. take the wires loose, and unfasten it at the passenger side where it meets the chassis. boom airbox is out. beer. leave the turbo inlet pipe installed, work it into position at the front, then slide it in back and find the stuff they say to fasten it to. boom heat shield installed. beer. open up your airbox and you will see your maf sitting inside the top half with an air horn on it. remove the airhorn with 2 phillips iirc and the maf comes loose with a little wiggle. slap your maf on the tip and your filter on the maf. tighten everything up (including disconnected evap line). bingo bango bongo. done done and done. time for more beer!

DJmuggs
03-23-2009, 02:54 PM
ight, imma bring the laptop outside in a bit and give it a try myself. what tools do i need for this? i think i got a couple of nails, a hammer, and a pair of scissors in my house.

SykoraA4
03-23-2009, 03:07 PM
good cause those are the three things youll need to remove your airbox...

slick youll need a screw driver. this has to be one of the easiest mods possible... come on man, search a little bit

v1nyd
03-23-2009, 03:45 PM
ight, imma bring the laptop outside in a bit and give it a try myself. what tools do i need for this? i think i got a couple of nails, a hammer, and a pair of scissors in my house.

The fact that the only tool you really need is a screwdriver (Phillips and Flathead) should show you how easy it will be. Luckily enough my car came with an OEM Audi screwdriver that can flip into either kind which came in handy plenty of times [:D]

DJmuggs
03-23-2009, 05:23 PM
yeh well, its all foreign language to me.. as i ve NEVER opened my hood, on a count of the last time i tried doing something to my engine a hose popped and started spillin oil every where..

does anyone know of any good picture-to-picture instructions on this install?

fernando
03-23-2009, 05:32 PM
yeh well, its all foreign language to me.. as i ve NEVER opened my hood, on a count of the last time i tried doing something to my engine a hose popped and started spillin oil every where..

if you say that wrenching is is a foreign language to you then you have no biz being under that hood cause you are bound to do more damage than to actually improve it.....

MOtown A4
03-23-2009, 05:38 PM

search!

MOtown A4
03-23-2009, 05:41 PM
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/2/thumbs/intake_1_.jpg (http://www.audizine.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=34183)

it wasnt that hard for me to search! your maf is in the inside of your airbox. unplug the sensor so you dont rip the damn thing out with your airbox. disconnect all the hoses from the airbox. unscrew it and pull it out. clamp it on to the cone and the turbo inlet pipe. plug it back in. drink a beer. and lastly hit yourself on the head with a tack hammer because this is the easiest thing in the world to do.

myers1.8TQ
03-23-2009, 06:22 PM

Lol, good luck with that. If that is true, just leave it.

salz2135
03-23-2009, 06:29 PM
OP, I'm all for supporting members with useful answers to questions. However, why is it at every thread I've seen you post is one that shows you don't do any research for yourself and fail to apply some common sense?

If you do some leg work and search the archives, people will be more inclined to help you work through your issues.

DJmuggs
03-23-2009, 06:53 PM
yeh sry bout that..
its not that i dont search , because i do.. i just usually dont find the answer im looking for so then i just start my own thread to make sure i get the right answer. its just that i am absolutely terrible when it comes to DIY installs, mods, and just cars in general.i mean i seriously have no tools in my house. i never really took an interest in cars until i got one myself (last yr). and now this whole car science is just really complex to me, and everytime i try and add something to my car it either costs me a shitload of money on unnecessary parts, or just messes with my car:

myers1.8TQ
03-23-2009, 06:57 PM
I would suggest you find someone mechanically inclined to help you and watch and learn. Go on your local forum and find another B5'er or enthusiast to meet up with you to give you some help, and again, watch and learn.

salz2135
03-23-2009, 07:08 PM
If you are you're truly interested in learning how to work on your car you should start with a service manual to give you the basic knowledge to keep you from doing more harm than good. A Bentley manual will help the most, but even a cheap Haynes or Chilton will help you significantly.

Not sure if you have one already--just a thought.[up]

jturnbull
03-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Dude just come on here and go to audidiy.com and most of the diy's are there. Just open the hood and go for it most things aren't hard to do if you can read. Only way to learn is to do it.

DJmuggs
03-24-2009, 08:42 AM
okay im lookin at my engine RIGHT NOW, and i have no clue where to even start. i took some pictures with my mac of the airbox and stuff, can someone PLEASE show me what to take off. i dont know which hoses are suppose to be unpluged, i dont know which is the sensor.. idk ANYTHING about this

seanriv
03-24-2009, 08:47 AM
audidiy.com !!!!!! You are ridiculous!! Search!!!

DJmuggs
03-24-2009, 08:52 AM
ight well, heres the video of my airbox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANh-Q037LvA

do i hae to remove ALL the plugs and that big black box? or just the box? do i need more then a screwdriver?

DJmuggs
03-24-2009, 08:55 AM
yes im currently lookin at http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2507093

i undersytand the concept of this whole thing, (i have to take out the airbox, put in this filter). but his engine looks different then mine, i cant find the hoses he is talkin about.... i dont know what zippties even are.

DJmuggs
03-24-2009, 08:56 AM
theres just hoses and wires running everywhere, i feel like if i try to, im going to break something... idk man ill try this some other time this is wayyy to confusing for me

v1nyd
03-24-2009, 09:02 AM
If it's really that hard for you to do and scared of screwing something up PM me and I'll do it for you for a small fee =]

myers1.8TQ
03-24-2009, 09:03 AM
1. Your engine looked like the opposite to me. Everything was backwards.
2. If you dont even know what a ziptie is, get some help doing this dont take the risk.
3. Try to meet some Audi enthusiast in your area.

buck
03-24-2009, 09:15 AM
wow.

wow.

jayraudi9
03-24-2009, 09:17 AM
this is such a disappointment [headbang]

buck
03-24-2009, 09:22 AM
start doing some research before buying stuff for your car;

wheels aren't interchangeable on all cars.
exhausts aren't interchangeable on all cars.
aftermarket air intake systems serve minimal to no purpose for 1.8t's

have a read over this before wasting more money on your ride:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automobile.htm

myers1.8TQ
03-24-2009, 09:25 AM
aftermarket air intake systems serve minimal to no purpose for 1.8t's

Thats what I tried saying.

biketsai
03-24-2009, 09:38 AM
It's not worth the hassle you seem to be going through. It's fairly simple but you just need to be logical.

Nebone
03-24-2009, 09:43 AM
You need a role model.

JumboBlack1.8
03-24-2009, 10:04 AM
This guy a troll?

A4-Achtung
03-24-2009, 11:49 AM
......... Que hijo de PUTA!!!!!!

ghost6303
03-24-2009, 12:39 PM
its just that i am absolutely terrible when it comes to DIY installs, mods, and just cars in general.i mean i seriously have no tools in my house.... and now this whole car science is just really complex to me, and everytime i try and add something to my car it either costs me a shitload of money on unnecessary parts, or just messes with my car:

tried installing a sound system myself: ending up cracking the speaker grille in half, installed the back 2 speakers wrong, and had the wrong type of amp set up..
tried removing the 1.8t decal with a screwdriver(flathead): ending up scratching the crap outta my paint leaving a bunch of marks in the shape of "1.8t". <- i even lolled at myself for this one
tried installin a heatshield: opened the hood, couldnt find the stock airfilter, closed the hood.

well, sorry to say, we cant teach you common sense. if you go digging at your paint with a screw driver, you are going to scratch it. if you fire a gun into a crowd of people, you are probably going to kill someone. if using a screw driver is really that foreign/difficult to you, you should not be using one.

if you really do want to learn, maybe take some shop classes at school. maybe spend $200 on a junk car on craigs list and buy $50 of basic tools and spend the summer dismantling it. that is how i learned so much about mechanical things, when i was like 3 years old i took apart a full size office copier and have been doing stuff like that ever since. you learn a lot about things this way.

biketsai
03-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Or pick up a lego set.

Lol JK I couldnt resist

fernando
03-24-2009, 05:17 PM
i think that my 3 year old boy has more mechanical experience than this guy, but i know for sure that my 3 yrld kid has way more brain that this guy does....if you are that handicap with tools y even attempt to do it....

Lazer Viking
03-24-2009, 05:25 PM
just stop...

lotusgardener
03-24-2009, 05:59 PM
Dudes either a troll, or just messed up. Did you see the video Turbo 5V is backwards....

myers1.8TQ
03-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Did you see the video Turbo 5V is backwards....

I saw the vid and was like wtf is going on?!!!!!! I got so confused.

merrigan
03-24-2009, 06:21 PM
youre threads are full of hilarity

salz2135
03-24-2009, 06:43 PM
I tried to help you out before because I thought you were genuine, but it's clear you're just trying to mess with forum members.

You should be banned since you do nothing to contribute to the AZ community and you actively try to reduce the quality.

fernando
03-24-2009, 07:04 PM
I saw the vid and was like wtf is going on?!!!!!! I got so confused.

you know what when i seen the vid i was also like what the fuck is that....i actually played the video a couple of times just to look at it

ghost6303
03-24-2009, 07:06 PM
unfortunately i dont think this guy is trolling or doin this to get laughs. he sounds like he genuinely can not figure out a screw driver, which is even more unfortunate. if what the OP has said is actualy true, its probably best that he just learns to enjoy the car how it is or leave the mechanical stuff up to people who know what they are doing.

zrowcool
03-24-2009, 07:16 PM
hes not a troll, hes serious. its not the first time he shows his lack of intelligence.

DJMUGGS, if you want to come to the bronx, i'll do it for ya and teach ya a bit at the same time. Just gunna cost ya some pizza and a 6-pack. Pm me if you're interested.

f15046
03-24-2009, 07:58 PM
He guys watch this video of DJMUGGS, and it will explain why he can't even figure out what a screwdriver is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2pp41yT5Rs&feature=channel

audi til I die
03-24-2009, 08:12 PM

This has "bored troll" written all over it

JumboBlack1.8
03-24-2009, 08:34 PM
He guys watch this video of DJMUGGS, and it will explain why he can't even figure out what a screwdriver is:

Wow.......thats just shameful

ghost6303
03-24-2009, 09:29 PM

i had no idea he was mentally handicapped, just like the other 75% of youtube that thinks that we care to watch the stupid, terrible videos they post on there. news flash - we dont care what you are doing.

crillforreal
03-24-2009, 09:51 PM

haha.. i had already watched it, i just didnt know what to say about.

biketsai
03-24-2009, 10:02 PM
hes not a troll, hes serious. its not the first time he shows his lack of intelligence.

DJMUGGS, if you want to come to the bronx, i'll do it for ya and teach ya a bit at the same time. Just gunna cost ya some pizza and a 6-pack. Pm me if you're interested.

DJmuggs-Do that ^^^^^^^^^^^^

DJmuggs
03-26-2009, 08:18 AM

HaAHAHAHA u guys found my secret... oh noes

myers1.8TQ
03-26-2009, 08:52 AM

Holy sh!t!!! I just cried!! LMAO!!

DJmuggs
04-01-2009, 05:39 PM
here it is installed.. reving at around 5k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIJc39A971s&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fmy_videos_edit 2&feature=player_embedded

Seal 6
04-01-2009, 09:43 PM
congratulations

SeekB00st
04-02-2009, 01:36 AM
here it is installed.. reving at around 5k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIJc39A971s&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fmy_videos_edit 2&feature=player_embedded

You are quite the peice of work.

Nebone
04-02-2009, 07:31 AM
Thought your intake was on the drivers side...

myers1.8TQ
04-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Thought your intake was on the drivers side...

2nd.

ghost6303
04-02-2009, 12:33 PM
if you wikipedia 'failure' theres a link to this thread. just let it die.

audiFUEGO
04-02-2009, 02:20 PM
this thread was awesome, thank you.