PDA

View Full Version : Accessing the coolant banjo bolt

v1nyd
03-22-2009, 12:11 PM
So when I put my k03s back in I guess I didn't tighten the banjo bolt enough because my car is leaking coolant from there, it's nothing that bad but I would like to try and tighten it without having to take my turbo manifold bolts out...is that possible? anyway to reach that damn 19mm bolt without having to loosen the turbo?

njm23
03-22-2009, 12:50 PM
goodluck with that, even using the smallest socket I could it was still damn tight. Best bet would be to drop the turbo down by taking off those 3 bolts or even just loosen the 3 bolts, and let it come down some to have a little more room.

biketsai
03-22-2009, 01:15 PM
It's like almost impossible to reach that, you might have some room if you remove the manifold.

Bic-Ball
03-22-2009, 01:51 PM
first time i put my turbo back on i thought the hole in the bolt had to line up with the coolant line, it was way too loose and coolant shot out. i had to take the whole turbo off and tighten it, i managed to get oil in the coolant so i had to replace both. i still didn't tighten it enough and it trickles out very slowly now, i just fill the coolant back up every so often.[headbang]

Mawhitey
03-22-2009, 02:26 PM
I did mine by grinding a 19mm spanner in a certain place to allow the spanner to have some space to turn. Saved me loads of time and repalcing the gasket too

B5A4Kevin
03-22-2009, 03:24 PM
ya, a heavily modified open ended wrench can help. i would say just loosen up all the turbo-manifold bolts to get that extra amount of room.

v1nyd
03-22-2009, 08:12 PM
I did mine by grinding a 19mm spanner in a certain place to allow the spanner to have some space to turn. Saved me loads of time and repalcing the gasket too

good idea, thanks

rogerius
03-23-2009, 09:10 AM
IIRC I used an allen wrench with an extension from underneath the car.Change the crush washers just to be on the safe side

thenofjboy
03-23-2009, 01:13 PM
the banjo hoes is the coolant supply line right?? i have to tighten mine or replace it too...
can you take off the bumper & radiator etc to get better access to it?? thers pictures that below that show what you i mean...
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146166

OR even if you did take that stuff off, is it still a real hard angle to get to?

v1nyd
03-23-2009, 03:49 PM
IIRC I used an allen wrench with an extension from underneath the car.Change the crush washers just to be on the safe side

No idea what you're talking about...the banjo bolt is a 19mm bolt, there's not allen wrench involved

the banjo hoes is the coolant supply line right?? i have to tighten mine or replace it too...
can you take off the bumper & radiator etc to get better access to it?? thers pictures that below that show what you i mean...
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146166

OR even if you did take that stuff off, is it still a real hard angle to get to?

The banjo bolt I'm referring to is for the coolant return line that goes to the block. You don't need to take off the bumper and radiator, you have to loosen the turbo to access it because it's under the exhaust manifold. I was just trying to see if there was a possible way to do this without taking my turbo out again and found the answer.

B5A4Kevin
03-23-2009, 06:23 PM
if its the side that bolts to the block, cant you just get it from underneath?

rogerius
03-24-2009, 01:59 AM
No idea what you're talking about...the banjo bolt is a 19mm bolt, there's not allen wrench involved

The banjo bolt I'm referring to is for the coolant return line that goes to the block. You don't need to take off the bumper and radiator, you have to loosen the turbo to access it because it's under the exhaust manifold. I was just trying to see if there was a possible way to do this without taking my turbo out again and found the answer.

Well, on my car THAT banjo bolt is allen head.However, it is easy to access it from undernearh.

thenofjboy
03-24-2009, 06:31 AM
if its the side that bolts to the block, cant you just get it from underneath?

i cant look at or reference a picture bc im at work & all that is blocked BUT i thought the banjo hose bolts to the bottom of the turbo & then the black hose clamps to the block - not bolt???

v1nyd
03-24-2009, 08:41 AM
i cant look at or reference a picture bc im at work & all that is blocked BUT i thought the banjo hose bolts to the bottom of the turbo & then the black hose clamps to the block - not bolt???

Yeah the banjo bolt screws into the back of the turbo which lets coolant flow through the hose to the block

Either way I figured out how to solve my problem thanks guys