PDA

View Full Version : Sways vs coilovers

Seal 6
03-18-2009, 09:02 PM
alright, so i have a 2001 1.8t FWD and i'm wondering what would be better to invest in first, coilovers or sways, strictly in terms of handling. it has the sport package, so would sways be better to get first? i know that coilovers (or shocks and springs) and spacers would be the first choice in terms of aesthetics, but strictly in terms of performance, what would be better (and more cost effective)? would a stiffer rear sway help to counter the understeer and body roll? would you have to change both sways out at the same time? recommended brands?

tl;dr: best bang for buck in performance: suspension kit or sways

thanks [:D]

TQMB5
03-18-2009, 09:24 PM
sways... hands down

Kyle H
03-18-2009, 09:31 PM
I would get swaybars if I were on sport suspension.

H-sport or bust.

www.purems.com has them.

Seal 6
03-18-2009, 09:32 PM
sweet thanks. i can only find sways for the front on there, though...

any other recommendations as to brands? i've been looking at H&R and Nuespeed too.

should i do both front and back, or just the rear?

djwimbo
03-18-2009, 09:44 PM
sways... hands down

What he said.

... He's getting sways this weekend. I have H-Sports and (for a B5) I wouldn't own one if I didn't it didn't have the bars.

djwimbo
03-18-2009, 09:45 PM
sweet thanks. i can only find sways for the front on there, though...

That's b/c you're FWD.

I've only ever dealt with Quattro cars and upgrading handling, good luck.

sixfiveoh
03-18-2009, 10:04 PM
I went with coilovers first, because not only do they give you better handling, lower center of gravity, and a more connected feeling with the road, but they make your car look uberdope. Two birds with one stone as far as I'm concerned. Second came tires, people tend to forget about this when considering handling, I chose Falken 452s.

Then I put on the Neuspeed rear sway and left it on the middle setting and just recently put it all the way stiff. The car actually has a nice, neutral feel to it. I have no complaints of understeer when powering through corners. I am, however still on the stock k03s with just Unitronic programming and APR exhaust. I'm sure with more power the understeer would be far more apparent.

The tires have since been replaced by Falken 912s as I really wasn't using the 452s to their limits and they wear out significantly faster than the 912s.

Hope this helped, always good to see other FWD dudes [:)]

Seal 6
03-18-2009, 10:11 PM
awesome thanks. you from San Mateo too? lol

also, where'd you get the rear sway? everywhere i've looked only has the Quattro versions.
anyone have any thoughts on diameter?

sixfiveoh
03-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Lol, yeah I'm in San Mateo. I actually got the sway in exchange for doing a photoshoot for the owner of a shop, so I can't really help you on where to get one unfortunately. My diameter is 25mm, and I believe they make a 28mm as well. What part of San Mateo?

Seal 6
03-18-2009, 10:28 PM
25mm.... what is currently installed in the stock car?

i'm from Foster City actually. Usually go down to kings mountain, la honda, and stage road to take drive and take pics.

sixfiveoh
03-18-2009, 10:41 PM
There is no rear sway on our cars from the factory, just a big ass solid rear axle.

Kings mountain is a funnnn road [up]

Ado
03-18-2009, 10:55 PM
i agree with sixfiveoh. i also have a fwd and i did coilovers first then did the sway bar later.

speedydragon
03-18-2009, 11:01 PM
oOo I'm in san mateo too. I live near Hillsdale mall