PDA

View Full Version : APR Chip - Direct Port?

jeffs
11-11-2004, 10:45 AM
Took my newly aquired 99.5 A4 to our local tuner here in Austin today and they said they did not think they could chip my vehicle because it was not direct port? Just curious what this means, my room mate had his 2003 GTI chipped at the same place.

Funny thing was, it's actually our Lotus dealership. I walked in the door and they said "you looking for the APR guy"? I guess I don't look like a Lotus buyer [:D]

pigliiit
11-11-2004, 11:23 AM
From APR's website : "APR is now proud to make DirectPort Programming available to the public. DirectPort programming allows all of the same functionality of EMCS, but without ANY hardware. This system allows programs to uploaded to the engine ECU via the factory OBDII port".
So basically, you don't need a chip with DP and no, you cannot get Direct Port for your MY, you actually will have to get a chip installed. Your "tuner" should have known that. You will have to send your ECU to APR and they have to solder a chip to your ECU or oder a CPU thats already chipped. You can usually find chips for your car in the for sale section for fairly cheap.

EDIT- AngrySwede has an APR chipped ECU for sale for only $450, jump on that, then you can keep you stock ECU in case you ever need it.

skene
11-11-2004, 12:33 PM
DPP can only be done on 2001+ vehicles. IIRC.

a 1999.5 is a non-DBW vehicle which basically means you need it the old fashioned way. Chip installed.

sumpsfast
11-11-2004, 12:47 PM
I know with GIAC, you cannot flashload pre 2002 A4's (B5). I believe the same is for APR DPP. All MKIV's should be avaliable for DPP.

jeffs
11-11-2004, 01:08 PM
EDIT- AngrySwede has an APR chipped ECU for sale for only $450, jump on that, then you can keep you stock ECU in case you ever need it. [/B]

Damnit, I started too, but then I saw his was a Quattro; mine is FWD.

Looks like I'm driving to Bar Tuning in Houston.

pigliiit
11-11-2004, 01:20 PM
use the vag locator to find someone that car change it to FWD for you. gotta be one in tx somewhere close to ya, that tuner could do it too, but he'd probably give you the wrong info again.

jeffs
11-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by pigliiit
use the vag locator to find someone that car change it to FWD for you. gotta be one in tx somewhere close to ya, that tuner could do it too, but he'd probably give you the wrong info again.

In the tuners defense, he wasn't saying it couldn't be done; just their shop only does direct port.

The shop in Houston charges $399 for the chip, and $50 for the labor for a 99.5. I'll be around Houston during the holidays, so I'll just have to wait about a month. No big deal.

Probably a good thing anyways, I just sold my old car and the money is burning holes in my pocket.