PDA

View Full Version : ebrake problem

jonessw20
03-11-2009, 05:48 PM
My ebrake does not fully disengage and rubs on my rotors after i use it.
Just wondering if this would have to do with the ebrake cable or the caliper?
Any info on this would be appreciated.

killer8424
03-11-2009, 06:15 PM
I had the exact same thing happen to me this winter. I ended up disconnecting the cable that was seizing up and just reconnected is this past weekend when the weather was warmer. So far I haven't had any problems yet, so it is probably a crack somewhere along the cable that ended up freezing. If you live somewhere that gets below freezing I would guess it is moisture that got into the cable and froze causing it to stick. Try following the cable back from the caliper and see if you can see any cracks or tears in the line. If you live somewhere warm I would look to the caliper. Just my 2 cents, anyone have trouble having the caliper seize and not the cable?

jonessw20
03-12-2009, 06:28 PM
I don't think its cause of freezing because the first time i had this problem was when it was warm out. So I'm guessing that its probably in the caliper then.

zrowcool
03-13-2009, 05:40 AM
could be the cable or the caliper, i would look at the caliper first and make sure the pivot point where the cable connects moves freely. It could be a little rusty so clean it up with a wire brush and spray some wd-40 on it. if that doesnt work then the cable could be sticking. Doesnt have to be a temp issue but it could be a rust issue so spray it with KY and it will be smooth.

killer8424
03-17-2009, 10:41 PM
I actually had the same problem again in warm temps. Went for a 'spirited' drive and smelled a little something funny at a stop sign. Did a walk around the car and saw a little plume of smoke coming from the back caliper. I think i might get the rebuild kit from the dealer (couple of seals per caliper) this weekend and see if that solves the problem, and I'll post as soon as I find out. Rebuild kits are about $15, calipers are $100/ea so if it can be done on the cheap its worth it.

buck
03-18-2009, 05:41 AM
probably the caliper is seizing up. Common on VW/Audi's.