PDA

View Full Version : Want to remove lower molding

soccerstargt17
03-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Hey
i searched the forums and didn't find the information i needed. I want to remove the rubber part of the doors, because when i paint the lowers, they always chip soon after because they are flexible. I want to know if there is a DIY write up. I was also wondering if there are holes to weld or just pins to shave off. Basically i want to know if its a possible project to do that does not require welding.

thanks

njm23
03-02-2009, 11:47 AM
for the LOWER door moldings there is no welding. You pull the trim off, have to grind/shave down the 5 or 6 "pins" that stick out and thats it. If you wanna remove the trim that goes into and on the front fender, there is a hole when you remove it. That would have to be filled/welded closed. but for the doors no welding.

soccerstargt17
03-02-2009, 12:11 PM
so if i shave down those pins on the side, is it easy to paint them to make it look clean, or is it pretty hard to not have it look smooth?

oldblu
03-02-2009, 04:19 PM
why does your paint crack? How did you paint it? I have new ones and I'm thinking about painting mine cause I have a S4 bumper so the black sticks out. But I don't want them to chip and crack...

soccerstargt17
03-02-2009, 04:36 PM
i used an adhesion primer then a filler primer then the paint and then clear coated it. the problem is that its rubber and can easy be bent if anything ever rubs against it. once it bends the spray paint cracks, cause its not flexible and then the paint starts to chip away.

For example i accidentally closed the door on my headphones once, and bam the paint started to chip away and now it just looks dirty and ugly.

oldblu
03-02-2009, 04:52 PM
I didn't know that the rattle can spray wasn't flexible. Any solutions? different paint?

B5 SLPR
03-02-2009, 05:12 PM
I bought a set of lower trip off of an S4 and just swapped

soccerstargt17
03-02-2009, 05:54 PM
i think as for painting it there is not a much better solution. You could buy s4 sides but those will run you around 200

a4mafia
03-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Are you talking about the part on the door or the rubbery sideskirt part?

soccerstargt17
03-02-2009, 06:26 PM
the rubbery door part. the one when you open the door at the very bottom.

Auszero
03-02-2009, 07:58 PM
you might want to talk to a paint store about get an epoxy paint. It is the same stuff used on snowboards and allows the paint to flex. Just a thought. As for removing the trim I can pm you some pics of what is there as my car is being painted and all the trim is off. The space on the fenders would need to be welded along with a couple holes on the lower rear part of the vehicle assuming you take the door sills off. The pegs could be ground down past the door surface then bondo'ed and glazed.

soccerstargt17
03-02-2009, 08:01 PM
please send me some pics

thanks a lot for all of the help

Auszero
03-02-2009, 08:59 PM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/auszero/Audi/DSC00215.jpg
front fender and door. notice the hole on the door. that is where the trim in place by a screw coming from inside. you could probably fill the hole with metal 2 metal and not have to weld it.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/auszero/Audi/DSC00216.jpg
rear fender and door. your door sills should cover this but if you remove them as i did then youll need to plug this or leave it.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/auszero/Audi/DSC00217.jpg
front potion of rear door with trim hole
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/auszero/Audi/DSC00218.jpg
another view. 7 pegs on the front door and 6 on the back

i hope that helps you

soccerstargt17
03-02-2009, 09:04 PM
looks like a pretty long project if i want to pull it off clean. i'm scared of scratching the sh** out of the paint when trying to grind down the knobs and then trying to match the paint doesn't sound to easy.

Auszero
03-02-2009, 09:08 PM
you would have to have the lowers of the doors resprayed and blended. I have my car sanded down and primered and im weary of doing it because you to weld the fenders and do a bit on bondo work to smooth everything out. im worried about it looking OEM. My car is a 97 and i deleted the audi ovals and it came out looking good but it took multiple coats of bondo primer and glaze so it was no easy task. look into the s4 lowers or epoxy paint

a4mafia(Red)
03-02-2009, 09:12 PM
isnt there some elasticity ingredient they add to the paint when painting bumpers that will allow it to flex somewhat without cracking???

i think that would be the ultimate option....

you might want to talk to a paint store about get an epoxy paint. It is the same stuff used on snowboards and allows the paint to flex. Just a thought. As for removing the trim I can pm you some pics of what is there as my car is being painted and all the trim is off. The space on the fenders would need to be welded along with a couple holes on the lower rear part of the vehicle assuming you take the door sills off. The pegs could be ground down past the door surface then bondo'ed and glazed.

i think what i'm talking about is similar to this, if its not this....idt you should use a rattle can spray

soccerstargt17
03-02-2009, 09:13 PM
if anyone has information on gettin an elastic paint i would love to hear about it. I would take that route any day.

Auszero
03-02-2009, 09:20 PM
i dont know exactly what is used on bumpers but even that can crack under enough pressure. Why dont you just talk of the lowers into a shop and ask them about it. I cant imagine it would cost more than $100-200

a4mafia(Red)
03-02-2009, 09:40 PM
i dont know exactly what is used on bumpers but even that can crack under enough pressure. Why dont you just talk of the lowers into a shop and ask them about it. I cant imagine it would cost more than $100-200

my friends got a vette, its fiber glass body parts, so it flexs A LOTTTT with the wind and doesnt crack....they've got some amazing shit out there, it just depends on how much you wanna pay

B5 SLPR
03-02-2009, 10:51 PM
I found mine from AP specialties when they were parting out an s4. total cost was $80 already colormatched to my car.

B5 SLPR
03-02-2009, 11:11 PM
dont know what color the car is but this guy is parting out a an S4, if your silver this may work for you.
http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=10025

burner799
03-02-2009, 11:24 PM
flex additive. that's what people add to their paint. You're not the first to paint his lowers.

Siena
03-02-2009, 11:51 PM
I wouldn't rattle paint the lowers, it's never going to look right.

Besides, rattle can paint is very different from regular paint that's loaded into a spray gun, and the stuff that allows the paint to flex is mixed into the paint too.

Rather than cheap out on the work, pay a bodyshop to do it!
I know a lot of guys on here say they can't afford it, but most of these same guys will spend $$$'s on halo headlamps, and big stereo systems. [rolleyes]

So, you can afford to get your lowers professionally done, it's just a case of priorities. [up]