PDA

View Full Version : Turbo on its last leg?

oneohone
03-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Lately I have been having problems with my A4. Here is the specs: 2000 1.8t Tip 134k

Recent oil change and spark plug change. The old plugs had oil on them and needed replacement. - Helped a little but not much
No misfires or anything, all coils are good.

The problem I am having is as soon as the car goes into boost, the whole thing shakes as it climbs the rpm band. It stops shaking when I let off of the throttle, but starts right up when I push it again. Its worse in the lower rpm range. Any ideas?

Title editing due to completely different problem

biketsai
03-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Uh-oh [wrench] time!!!

Lets get that shit figured out. Coilpacks possibly?

oneohone
03-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Man I don't think its the coils, their all pretty good. I was thinking turbo maybe going out, bent shaft causing all the wobble. No dentist drill noises lol, but I figured since it has 134k its about time for a new one. Idk???

biketsai
03-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Hmm, we need to do a vacuum test first.

oneohone
03-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Can you source a vacuum tester [:p]

biketsai
03-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Not sure, where do we get one? hahaha

oneohone
03-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Sounds like we'll be making one. Grr, back to DIY. I was just hoping this snail is dead. Then I get my K04 back from GPopShop.

biketsai
03-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Do it! and get some fueling in too!

oneohone
03-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Its tip though, I thought a modded out K04 might kill it! Shit man you on aim lol.

v1nyd
03-02-2009, 02:35 AM
MAF?

Holvinator
03-02-2009, 03:28 AM
The problem is the Coils. Already happened to me. I replaced the one that was damange, on my way home the other went bad on me. Replace all of them at the same time and might as well replace the spark plugs. Use original parts from the dealer (Coils and spark plugs) otherwise you will be changing them coils every 5,000km

When this happen, does your catalic converter gets bright red or extremely hot....? check and get back at me.If it does, the problem is the coils

prodrive
03-02-2009, 04:02 AM
It may be the coils but I would check for the exhaust leaks too , you may have blown gasket or loosen bolts ....

oneohone
03-02-2009, 07:45 PM
The problem is the Coils. Already happened to me. I replaced the one that was damange, on my way home the other went bad on me. Replace all of them at the same time and might as well replace the spark plugs. Use original parts from the dealer (Coils and spark plugs) otherwise you will be changing them coils every 5,000km

When this happen, does your catalic converter gets bright red or extremely hot....? check and get back at me.If it does, the problem is the coils

No its not the coils, their fine. This is not a misfire. Its like the engine is shuddering under throttle.

I had the same feeling in my 97 Tahoe before the driveshaft broke. The u-joints were bad. I don't think this would be happening to this car though.

a4mafia(Red)
03-02-2009, 10:38 PM
my friends got a b5 2.8 quattro some bolts holding part of the driveshaft snapped(craziest thing right?) and he had similar symptoms to what you have....my 2 cents

@udikid
03-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Uh-oh [wrench] time!!!

Lets get that shit figured out. Coilpacks possibly?

im a noob but my car did the same thing and i changed out 2 coilpack and it ran fine after that. have u tried putting it on the computer to read the codes

@udikid
03-02-2009, 10:49 PM
oops sorry didnt read ur last message. i get it IT NOT THE COILS LOL

turbo kraut
03-02-2009, 10:57 PM
not to thread jack, but my car is acting very wierd and doing some crazy shit too...

but i am going to have to guess and say mine is the vac line coming from off the dv

and maybe the one that runs under the intake mani back towards the firewall being shot

the outer wrap is frayed on both....... i am thinking not a huge leak, but somewhat

got a guage?

mine hits boost, then drops, raises drops then raises and stays up... almost like a surging turbo..... trying to talk the wife into a new turbo, but gotta bet a new clutch first..... and why waste money on a k04?

2871r man

biketsai
03-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Billy, remember that broken turbo stud?

oneohone
03-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Yeah man, you think it could be that?

Nah, its plugged in and I'm sure its working fine.

MAF?

burner799
03-03-2009, 01:12 AM
motor mounts?

ICM?

oneohone
03-03-2009, 10:36 AM
motor mounts?

ICM?

Just replaced the motor mounts.

Can the ICM cause this?

turbo kraut
03-03-2009, 11:01 AM
yeah... but you might have vac leaks as well

biketsai
03-03-2009, 03:06 PM
you dont have an icm billy
I got your text, i wonder why that is

turbo kraut
03-03-2009, 03:11 PM
i didn't think 00 + cars did, but i have an 01 so.......... are you running an mbc?

Mawhitey
03-03-2009, 03:33 PM
DMFW broken ??

turbo kraut
03-03-2009, 03:40 PM
dmfw?

tdn
03-03-2009, 03:55 PM
The old plugs had oil on them

Check them again, do they still have oil on them? What part of the plugs?

You may need a new valve cover gasket or head gasket.

terraflata
03-03-2009, 04:42 PM

My turbo and cat get red and extremely hot. But usually only when I am driving like I want to destroy my car. That's normal, right?

Terraflata

oneohone
03-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Ok, it seems that the turbo was not the problem. Not even close. A bearing in my driveshaft came loose and is causing the driveshaft to sling around under my car. So right now I am looking for a driveshaft, Audi wants over $1k for a new one, but I'm sure I can find a used one for cheaper.

Has anyone else had problems with their driveshaft or the bearings??

turbo kraut
03-13-2009, 07:35 PM
nope.......... try shokan......... they are fairly cheap on parts

jankaroni
03-13-2009, 09:10 PM
I just had this same problem.....it would drive fine til you would get on it and as soon as it goes into boost above like 8psi it would start studdering and shaking,let off and everything would be fine again, check engine light would come on if you stayed on it.

Replaced coil packs because that was my first though and it fixed the problem.

I know you dont think its the coil packs but how many miles do you have on it and have you every replaced all the coil packs?

jankaroni
03-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Ok, it seems that the turbo was not the problem. Not even close. A bearing in my driveshaft came loose and is causing the driveshaft to sling around under my car. So right now I am looking for a driveshaft, Audi wants over $1k for a new one, but I'm sure I can find a used one for cheaper.

Has anyone else had problems with their driveshaft or the bearings??

and no i have never have prob with my driveshaft, wheel bearings yes but not any problems with the driveshaft

biketsai
03-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Hmm, kinda wierd.
Well at least we have Vdubs

oneohone
03-13-2009, 11:59 PM
Hmm, kinda wierd.
Well at least we have Vdubs

True man, I am going to call her in the morning. Its crazy its the driveshaft. He said I brought the car in just in time, it was about to bust. Good thing I didn't throw the GIAC chip on, it would have busted fast.

biketsai
03-14-2009, 12:10 AM
True man, I am going to call her in the morning. Its crazy its the driveshaft. He said I brought the car in just in time, it was about to bust. Good thing I didn't throw the GIAC chip on, it would have busted fast.

Driveshafts arent hard at all to replace hopefully.

oneohone
03-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Not at all, labor at this shop is going to be $130 plus the cost of the shaft'. The only thing is there is a shield that needs to be removed.

biketsai
03-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Not at all, labor at this shop is going to be $130 plus the cost of the shaft'. The only thing is there is a shield that needs to be removed.

Gimme a call in the morning IF you go to Vdubs

jankaroni
03-14-2009, 05:56 AM

The shield only takes about a minute to take off, I had mine off at one point cause it was rubbing against my driveshaft once and a while making a really shitty metal on metal grinding noise. It is basically just a heat shield that runs between your exhaust and the driveshaft.

oneohone
03-14-2009, 02:07 PM
The shield only takes about a minute to take off, I had mine off at one point cause it was rubbing against my driveshaft once and a while making a really shitty metal on metal grinding noise. It is basically just a heat shield that runs between your exhaust and the driveshaft.

Yup, that's true.

I found a driveshaft local for $75, so the car should be back on the road Monday evening.