PDA

View Full Version : overiding DBW?

A4_wantanabe
11-08-2004, 09:39 AM
okay DBW (Drive by wire) + automatic = teh suck!

is there anyway to overide or disconnect this thing? its horriable. I get shitty throttle responce, and really late reaction time...(not speaking of drag racing, just driveablitly in general)

unfortunatly i have a 97 and they didn't start making them with out it till 99. Can anyone help?

offroader1006
11-08-2004, 09:49 AM
so do you have DBW??

A4_wantanabe
11-08-2004, 09:57 AM
yes

rendyx
11-08-2004, 10:06 AM
I think they started in 2000, didn't they?

I don't think there is a way around it, because the ECU would be a bit pissed if it were swapped for a standard cable setup.

AspenSti
11-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Im confused. You have a 1997, which has a cable throttle body. How could you have DBW delay?

SeanF
11-08-2004, 10:48 AM
right... you have a 97 which is nDBW, you have a mechanical gas pedal...

AspenSti
11-08-2004, 10:51 AM
so its not DBW delay, its just a slow car [:p]

jefferson88
11-08-2004, 10:56 AM
its slow cause its auto... you don't have drive by wire as everyone else has said... and if you did how would you override? Install your own cable system...

EVIL-AUDI
11-08-2004, 10:57 AM
You have overidden it already, by not having it at all.

Silver 1.8
11-08-2004, 10:59 AM
maybe the throttle cable is stretched or something? has it always been like this?

AspenSti
11-08-2004, 11:00 AM
I doubt the car would even run if you just installed a cable throttle body.

The ECU on the later model cars utilizes throttle cut as opposed to fuel cut.

If the maf for some reason were to be overrun because of super low air temps or something of that nature it would try to close the throttle plate...and wouldnt be able to because its not DBW. I dont even think the car would start since the ecu has no idea of throttle position.

Originally posted by jefferson88
its slow cause its auto... you don't have drive by wire as everyone else has said... and if you did how would you override? Install your own cable system...

rendyx
11-08-2004, 11:08 AM
Probably the auto. A friend of mine with a B6 1.8 tip gets severe lag until around 2500rpms, right around when the turbo spools. My 6-speed doesn't have this.

buck
11-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by A4_wantanabe
okay DBW (Drive by wire) + automatic = teh suck!

is there anyway to overide or disconnect this thing? its horriable. I get shitty throttle responce, and really late reaction time...(not speaking of drag racing, just driveablitly in general)

unfortunatly i have a 97 and they didn't start making them with out it till 99. Can anyone help?

DBW means Drive By (electrical) wire
nonDBW means you have a cable running to your TB.

if you are sporting a '97, I am pretty sure that you are nonDBW. I don't think it's a simple task to convert your car to DBW.

are you tip? there are tip chips out there that are suppose to make you tip drivers a little happier.

rendyx: you get any bites yet with your donation fund [:p] I'd like to start up a fun to support my habbits (cycling, snowboarding, modding) [;)]

A4_wantanabe
11-08-2004, 11:25 AM
okay, i guess i was mis informed from another thread. I did a search and thats what i gathered.

it does get serious lag. What weird is, after i give it throttle, it releases some kinda of tension.... there for thinking it was some kind of DBW, but i guess thats not it. Auto really does suk!

A4_wantanabe
11-08-2004, 11:26 AM
i am not tip... *sighs

buck
11-08-2004, 11:49 AM
ever look into a manual conversion? it can be done... but don't ask me how. I'd imagine you'd need:

5 spd trans from around same model year
ecu to accommodate
center console for man. trans
short shifter [;)]

as for install - like I said - not my special-T

AspenSti
11-08-2004, 11:58 AM
perhaps ist just turbo lag your dealing with?

fanuvbrak
11-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by buck
ever look into a manual conversion? it can be done... but don't ask me how. I'd imagine you'd need:

5 spd trans from around same model year
ecu to accommodate
center console for man. trans
short shifter [;)]

as for install - like I said - not my special-T

it would be less expensive to just sell your car and buy a manual.

i, too, have a tip, and it has it's share of bad points. but when your commute is on a busy road with about a million traffic signals for 28 miles, an automatic ain't such a bad thing.

i've heard great things about the tipchip when it's accompanied by the ECU chip. I think GIAC is the only company with the tipchip.

A4_wantanabe
11-08-2004, 01:04 PM
i've had a turbo car before and its never been this bad. (t3/o4)

i have thought about a conversion, and seriously looking into it, but its becoming more... of a hassel. I thought maybe a simple transmission swap with a tiptronic would be easier, but that seems to be a hand full as well.

Zodiak
11-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by A4_wantanabe
i've had a turbo car before and its never been this bad. (t3/o4)

i have thought about a conversion, and seriously looking into it, but its becoming more... of a hassel. I thought maybe a simple transmission swap with a tiptronic would be easier, but that seems to be a hand full as well.
Tip tranny and auto trannies are the same, you need the shifter mechanism and the ECU and a few other misc parts to do the swap. I think AMS used to sell a kit for it.

Swapping in a 5spd tranny won't be worth it (if you have the time and the $$$ to blow then go ahead), just sell the car and buy a 5spd.

audlman
11-08-2004, 05:09 PM
sounds to me like u have a auto with turbo lag... ;)

DarkkstaR
11-08-2004, 07:51 PM
My auto lags at first too, you learn to drive it.