PDA

View Full Version : Whos a/c puts a good load on your engine?



Kronic Budz
03-01-2009, 02:34 PM
a/c puts a load on any engine but older cars it tends to be worse... not exactly sure why.

just seeing who else notices it when you turn on the a/c fan and notice power loss and idle jumping, ect?


I sure do and my cooling system was redone. When im driving on the freeway and turn my a/c on it feels like i need to push the pedal down slightly more to stay at the same speed. I also notice that it takes my engine more time for the revs to drop then normal. say if i reved it up, the needle would drop back down to normal idle, slower then it normally would. anyone have these same symptoms?

danphines
03-01-2009, 02:44 PM
very slight power loss but not even near what you are describing you might have a problem.

amd is the best
03-01-2009, 02:47 PM
I can barly notice the difference in both my 2.8q 5 speed and my S4.

Kronic Budz
03-01-2009, 03:09 PM
I can barly notice the difference in both my 2.8q 5 speed and my S4.


yea i wouldnt imagine it in the 01, how many miles on your a4?

amd is the best
03-01-2009, 03:15 PM
yea i wouldnt imagine it in the 01, how many miles on your a4?

A4 has 92K.

Dallas09
03-01-2009, 04:20 PM
I notice on the freeway just barley as you descirbe, but where I notice it the most is starting out at a standstill. I have to give it wayyyy more gas (especially with four people), this is a 99 AEB, so this is on a 1.8. My buddies 01 isnt as bad at standstills i dont believe, i dont know if its becuase of the slightly greater output or if it compensates with DBW.. It sux when i have the car filled and the A/C on, i have to almost floor it to get goin, and then the RPMs build and it boosts, tough to get used too, and big hills are ridiculous. Its also worse when its really hot out, probably becasue the compressor is on more often?

t1demont1
03-01-2009, 04:32 PM
i notice it, my car vibrates a little more

Tifun
03-01-2009, 04:36 PM
I notice a good amount of loss when it's hot out.

MaudiS4
03-01-2009, 05:34 PM
I my A4 2.8 I can feel, but it it not that bad...[:(]

Poopie
03-01-2009, 08:25 PM
high 90s with the ac blasting feels like i'm carrying 4 people with me. with 170hp I don't have much to spare.

Tifun
03-01-2009, 08:31 PM
high 90s with the ac blasting feels like i'm carrying 4 people with me. with 170hp I don't have much to spare.

my car feels the same way with the stg3 in those temps with the AC. I almost dont want to drive the car those days lol.

gmx
03-01-2009, 08:56 PM
i feel it most on standing starts and a noticeable delay in response esp in 2nd gear/low revs.

I often turn off the A/C as I come to a stop.

Kronic Budz
03-01-2009, 09:21 PM
i feel it most on standing starts and a noticeable delay in response esp in 2nd gear/low revs.

I often turn off the A/C as I come to a stop.

how many miles?

@udikid
03-01-2009, 09:40 PM
same here some power loss but nothing else

gmx
03-01-2009, 10:21 PM
how many miles?
95k miles.

Ambient temp is mid 20s at least and pretty high UV index.

flynnr
03-01-2009, 10:46 PM
i have 108k on mine, and i think driving with the AC off is much better (from what ive heard) , but i was kinda curious...

does driving with the AC on really affect mileage? if it affects how much pwer there is available i would think it is robbing mpg's too.

SO

this past weekend i drove 206.2 miles, and filled up with shell 93 octane completely to the click before i left, and filled up completely when i got back at the same station, same pump, same gas. and my car took 6.195 gallons

= 33.285 MPG WITH AC ON!! I have a 2000 1.8tqm

granted, this is was a round trip situation, driving for approx 2 hours one way, and 90% of it is going 59mph, with the other 10% just coasting at about 35 mph through the few small towns separating the destinations

but i was truely amazed when i only had to put 6.195 gallons in it.

I will be making this trip many times over the next couple months, so i will try to log this and make a post about what i get with the AC off.


(well atleast i think i had the AC running?! ECON = AC not running and whenever the ECON light is not on = AC running? )

let me know cause i will feel retarded if i had this mixed up the whole time

burner799
03-01-2009, 11:57 PM
yea, i feel it big time. It's not so much the age factor in our cars as it is the tiny ass engine. I've had my car since 50k miles and i'ts always as described by the OP.