PDA

View Full Version : is it time for a new clutch & flywheel?

Yevmeister
03-01-2009, 12:53 PM
i think that my clutch is started to slip real baad, sometimes my car would just die when i get in reverse w/o a light rev

also when i rev the engine, and shift into the gear my car produces a very loud squealing noise.

any suggestions. I know upgrades are very tempting like getting a clutch that rated for more torque if i were to upgrade in the future.

The bottom line is that i want to keep my car stock and reliable, it is very tempting to get eliminator kit or something, but that's something i don't want to spend $$$ in the moment.

any suggestions, i am not really familiar with the difference in performance vs. oem clutch

TIA

Yev

amd is the best
03-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Kind of sounds more like a transmission issue to me. It is kind of hard to understand your situation though.

stormscr3
03-01-2009, 01:19 PM
I think you should also check your shifting linkage, it links your stick to the tranny. You might just want to drop the tranny out and have a look around because it does sound like it might be some of the gearing inside.

amd is the best
03-01-2009, 01:56 PM
If/when it comes down to a new clutch I can recommend nothing but South Bend [up]

Yevmeister
03-01-2009, 10:21 PM
ah, i will get to it, i guess.

as much as like audi, and understand where everything is, most of things are just a bitch to DIY, especially when workspace is limited

Yev

gmx
03-01-2009, 10:37 PM
i think that my clutch is started to slip real baad, sometimes my car would just die when i get in reverse w/o a light rev

also when i rev the engine, and shift into the gear my car produces a very loud squealing noise.

any suggestions. I know upgrades are very tempting like getting a clutch that rated for more torque if i were to upgrade in the future.

The bottom line is that i want to keep my car stock and reliable, it is very tempting to get eliminator kit or something, but that's something i don't want to spend $$$ in the moment.

any suggestions, i am not really familiar with the difference in performance vs. oem clutch

TIA

Yev

Please elaborate on this.
This has been a growing problem for me and driving me nuts. Only when engaging a gear. Once in gear it drives fine.

Yevmeister
03-02-2009, 07:05 AM
This has been a growing problem for me and driving me nuts. Only when engaging a gear. Once in gear it drives fine.

Yes sir, that's the evil noise i am hearing. just like you said when engaging in gear.

Yev

terraflata
03-03-2009, 12:50 PM
HAHAHA I am with you guys in the same boat. Ive been abusing my car too, it keeps screaming at me everytime I put the clutch in. driving is not an issue though. I'm almost positive it's the clutch, I have a new one sitting in my closet. But I'm waiting till I pull my engine for my 2.0 build to change it and the flywheel (for a lighter one). I also have no issues shifting gears. My guess, and it is just that. it's the bearing.

Terraflata

mike-2ptzero
03-03-2009, 01:00 PM

As you apply the clutch the top half of the dual mass flywheel slows down slightly till it is locked. It has a tq rating and as that tq rating decreases the dual mass flywheel starts making noise. Once its fully locked the flywheel spins all together, push in the clutch and the top opens back up.

This is when you need a new flywheel.

maxspeed
03-03-2009, 01:11 PM
my advice:

if you need a new fly wheel, you need a new clutch.
if you need a new clutch, you need a new fly wheel.

gmx
03-03-2009, 01:46 PM
As you apply the clutch the top half of the dual mass flywheel slows down slightly till it is locked. It has a tq rating and as that tq rating decreases the dual mass flywheel starts making noise. Once its fully locked the flywheel spins all together, push in the clutch and the top opens back up.

Mike, this is the single mass flywheel I bought off Greg....

mike-2ptzero
03-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Mike, this is the single mass flywheel I bought off Greg....

Then the sound you hear is the disk across the flywheel surface. This tends to be heard most during break-in. How many miles do you have on it?

I guess you mean the clutch/flywheel I packed together in 1 box and shipped to you.[>_<]

terraflata
03-03-2009, 02:27 PM

Guess it was good that I was replacing both at the same time anyways.

Terraflata

gmx
03-04-2009, 02:55 AM
Then the sound you hear is the disk across the flywheel surface. This tends to be heard most during break-in. How many miles do you have on it?

I guess you mean the clutch/flywheel I packed together in 1 box and shipped to you.[>_<]

Yup.[:)]

hmm, I would estimate about 7000km now (4300miles). Maybe a bit less.

I've emailed Andy@SB about it and he said he has seen this issue before. I'm waiting for a response,
hopefully he has skype or similar.. don't feel like making an international call at this moment.

It does sound like it's a part of the disc or flywheel itself.
I babied the thing for about 6000km I would say. Sometimes I would do a pull here and there but never shifted it hard (it would give me a massive clunk anyway so I avoided it till some reinforcement there).

One night few of us were giving it quite a bit around some bends/straights and when shifting from high revs I'd get a screeching sound. At first we thought it was a belt and I got them all checked twice. A/C on or off doesn't affect it/

Since then the problem has become apparent at idle revs as well as normal shifting (where there is resistance between the box and engine). If they are matched there is not much. I've tried to drive around the problem but it's not really possible from standing starts.

I have noticed when the car is dead cold (whole night's cool down, start in a cool ambient morning) The squeal isn't really there, then it starts to build up and materialize.

Btw, if you jerry rig or modify something in the clutch assembly, is it even remotely possible to re-use the stock DMFW with the clutch I have?

Yevmeister
03-04-2009, 07:10 AM
i am still on the original parts 150k on my car

like i said i don't look into performance. would you guys advice to stick with the sachs? and what kind of flywheel do would you recommend

thank you for your input Mike

Yev

mike-2ptzero
03-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Yup.[:)]

hmm, I would estimate about 7000km now (4300miles). Maybe a bit less.

I've emailed Andy@SB about it and he said he has seen this issue before. I'm waiting for a response,
hopefully he has skype or similar.. don't feel like making an international call at this moment.

It does sound like it's a part of the disc or flywheel itself.
I babied the thing for about 6000km I would say. Sometimes I would do a pull here and there but never shifted it hard (it would give me a massive clunk anyway so I avoided it till some reinforcement there).

One night few of us were giving it quite a bit around some bends/straights and when shifting from high revs I'd get a screeching sound. At first we thought it was a belt and I got them all checked twice. A/C on or off doesn't affect it/

Since then the problem has become apparent at idle revs as well as normal shifting (where there is resistance between the box and engine). If they are matched there is not much. I've tried to drive around the problem but it's not really possible from standing starts.

I have noticed when the car is dead cold (whole night's cool down, start in a cool ambient morning) The squeal isn't really there, then it starts to build up and materialize.

Btw, if you jerry rig or modify something in the clutch assembly, is it even remotely possible to re-use the stock DMFW with the clutch I have?

Depends which stock flywheel you have. If it is the one were the bolts go down inside the hole you can.

i am still on the original parts 150k on my car

like i said i don't look into performance. would you guys advice to stick with the sachs? and what kind of flywheel do would you recommend

thank you for your input Mike

Yev

You can go with the Sachs or even a Stage 1 from SB with a 20 lbs flywheel or a stock flywheel if you can find one with low miles.

Yevmeister
03-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks Mike, i guess i will keep my eyes peeled on the flywheel.

Yev